Fender eliminator in the rain

I'm tempted to lose the plastic fender thingy on my gen II. I ride a lot in rain and slush though (Sweden), and I was wondering if a fender eliminator works all right in bad weather or if you get mud spray all over your back.

Don't do it!

In those conditions a fender eliminator kit doesn't work very well. There's a reason Yamaha stuck that ugly fender on there.

While I don't have an actual "fender eliminator" on my bike. That protective shroud was cut off by the previous owner. I can tell you by experience that you do indeed get spray up the back of the bike. That means your passenger's hind quarters as well. Most of the time I make sure that I am not out in the rain. Sometimes you just get caught with no alternatives. I can't say that envy you. I couldn't live in a place that gets that much rain. Billy.

Yep - what he said .....

In those conditions a fender eliminator kit doesn't work very well. There's a reason Yamaha stuck that ugly fender on there.

The first time I got got caught in a rain (it hadn't rained in weeks and the road was dirty...) I looked like a skunk with that dark stripe up the middle of my back. Just the price you pay for looking good, I guess - cause that rear fender looks like FIDO's ass. They could do better if they worked at it a little.

I got rid of my fender mainly because it looked like an exercise in excess and how to make something absolutely as homely as possible. It seems to me that a fender could be made that does the job without looking so awful. In any event, I worry more about the rain/wet I get from the front in a rain storm more than I get from the back tire. I still have the original so if it does become a problem I can always put it back on.

Can you all point me to the FE Kit's you've installed? I've looked at some and they seem either over-engineered or too simple and flimsy.

I've actually gotten fed up with what I've seen and started engineering my own. I've got a pattern created that will bolt up with the stock bolts and use the stock plate light and signals. The signal stalks would be mostly behind the plate, very tucked.

The hard part is finding a shop local that can cut the sheet aluminum and bend it plus put in the two TIG welds I am looking for. I'm biased but I think it is a great design and damned near invisible. After looking at my design, there's room to put on aftermarket signals by drilling two more holes so I'll have those put in too.

I'm going to a sheet metal mockup and actually bolt it for fitment then take it off to use as the template. Maybe a new member product for sale soon? ;)

I've got the Evotech kit on mine. It came with the bike when I bought it so I don't know how much it cost or how difficult of an install, but it seems well engineered. Here's a picture:

06_Fender_Eliminator.jpg

Can you all point me to the FE Kit's you've installed?

Wish I had fabrication tools to make some of this stuff. I am using the Graves FE. It does not come with a plate light so I got an LED one and drilled a hole centered above the plate for it. Uses stock signals but I may get something a bit smaller (love the LEDs mentioned earlier). I do get a rooster tail in the rain but I am rarely in the rain.
Graves Motorsports - Graves Motorsports Fender Eliminator Yamaha FZ1 (2006-08)

748d1250904665-fender-eliminator-rain-stp61391.jpg

Last edited:
I ride year around. So as ugly as the stock fender is, I'm keeping it. Function over fashion :2cents:

Damn. Keeping the stock can and fender? I must be getting old!

Second thoughts

I'd penciled in today to install my Graves FE. I'm having second thoughts after reading this thread . First, I live in the Great North West, USA (like Osup) and we have lots of rainy days (not necessarily lots of rain-just some rain many days per year). Also, like Osup, I can ride year round-living in the west coast maritime climate-and do.
FE's help the looks of the FZ1 a lot, but then again, I usually choose practicality over looks.

I've been questioning this as well. I often ride in the rain and while I have modded the stock fender quite a bit, it still keeps the spray at bay.

This is from someone else that lives in the rain...aka Seattle area. I ride all year round which means tons of rain. The stock fender is a POS and a ton of crap gets all over the tail...so a fender eliminator isn't gonna do much worse. I have a piece of plastic I've used in the past to extend my FE on previous bikes that I'll probably put on the FZ...I shot the bike into a ditch and the stock crane assembly bent. I just bought a Graves FE 'cause I'm staying with stock blinkers...once it's installed with my little homemade rear fenda extenda I'll post up a picture. It'll probably do a better job than the stocker now that I think about it.

This is from someone else that lives in the rain...aka Seattle area. I ride all year round which means tons of rain. The stock fender is a POS and a ton of crap gets all over the tail...so a fender eliminator isn't gonna do much worse. I have a piece of plastic I've used in the past to extend my FE on previous bikes that I'll probably put on the FZ...I shot the bike into a ditch and the stock crane assembly bent. I just bought a Graves FE 'cause I'm staying with stock blinkers...once it's installed with my little homemade rear fenda extenda I'll post up a picture. It'll probably do a better job than the stocker now that I think about it.

Amazing-cause I was thinking the same thing! I have some cleaver "snap on" fenders for my bicycle, so why not a removable fenda extenda. Looking forward to those pics.

I have the Evotech FE kit and it was pretty easy to install after I just laid the parts out and figured it out because the included instructions suck. I live in the rainiest area of the country, averaging around 70 inches of rain a year and I have not had a problem with getting dirty from riding in the rain... but maybe the roads I ride just aren't that dirty and it rains so hard that any dirt that might get on me just gets washed off by more rain. Honestly in a torrential downpour getting a little bit dirty is the least of my concerns.

I've thought about a FE but have been hesitant because of dirty water and such. Another thing I've thought about with having a FE is all of the ones I see look like the plate is deeply angled. I've wondered if the plate is easy to see for cops and if it gives them another excuse to pull you over claiming " I pulled you over because I couldn't read your plate". Has anyone had problems with this?

Back