First 600 Mile Checkup

First check up

I would also check your cable adjustments. New cables can stretch a little and may need a slight adjustment. I would also check your owners manual for the recommended checks. I check my tire pressures and chain adjustment when I look over the bike before a ride. Other then that, just enjoy the ride.

Did the chain clean last week and changed the oil today.

***FYI*** After changing the oil you should take the bike off the center stand and put it on the kick stand in order for the oil light sensor to function properly. I could not get my oil light to go off until I did that. I used 4 quarts and a new filter, is that correct? The OM states 4.02. The original oil was cloudy and in need of changing.

I ride mostly to the gym and up and down Indian River Drive to the beach. For work I overnight 10 days per month and cover over 1,000 miles per week in a company car. I put in as much seat time as possible on my favorite bike of all time, but when you get older and your responsibilities increase, your time is very limited.

Fortunately, my fiance pictured in the avatar, grew up with bikes and sits on the back whenever we have time.

I would ride to Daytona next month for the Int'l Bike Show as it is only a couple hours from the house, but my two friends with bikes will be working.

Anybody leaving from South Florida and traveling north I can join up with and put a few miles on?

If it was daylight I would go for a ride right now, but I am already Netflixing on the couch after doing all the household chores after being on the road all last week.

The only thing I am not clear on with the oil is:

The owner's manual reads: 3.07 US quarts without replacing filter, 3.28 US quarts with filter replacement, and 4.02 US quarts total capacity.

When I first added 3 1/4 quarts the engine oil light did not go off, so I added more until I ran out of oil @ 4 quarts and took the bike off the center stand.

Are 4 quarts too much?

The owner's manual reads: 3.07 US quarts without replacing filter, 3.28 US quarts with filter replacement, and 4.02 US quarts total capacity.

When I first added 3 1/4 quarts the engine oil light did not go off, so I added more until I ran out of oil @ 4 quarts and took the bike off the center stand.

Are 4 quarts too much?

You need to look at the clear glass level indictor on the right side. The oil level should be in the middle or slightly above when the bike is upright. If all you see is oil you put to much in.

Are 4 quarts too much?

Yes, 4 qts is 12 oz too much. If you have a Mighty Vac, you can siphon out the extra easily. Just fish the tube down into the oil and start pumping. :)

Life can get busy and riding doesn't always take precedence. Where in FL are you? Norm is in Port Saint Lucie and can use a riding buddy at times. I was just there for two weeks with him and between his two bikes I racked up about 1000 miles. We did not ride for a few days because of weather though. Indian River is a good ride. Hurricane Grill makes it even better once you get to the one by the water in Ft. Pierce. :tup:

Regarding the 600 miles, these folks hit it on the head.... check everything, lube what can be lubed and make sure the chain is adjusted properly. ;)

I live in St. Lucie too. Would be good to ride with somebody around town or to Daytona. He can contact me if he has time.

I just drained a bit out of the crankcase until I got the oil level just right. Thanks for the confirmation.

Also went to Castrol motorcycle full synthetic 10w-40 @ $10/qt. I noticed the bike runs cooler and the transmission shifts like butter now. I don't know what kind of oil or additives they use at the factory, but the original was cloudy and definitely needed changing. One trip to the gym and the new oil is still clear with better performance.

Back