For all those with computer knowledge.

I know this has nothing to do with motorcycles but I could use some help. for some this is probably going to be a no brainer. So I am having some minor issues with the computer. Sometimes after not being used I am not able to open anything. The mouse cursor moves so its not frozen but when click to open anything on the desktop nothing happens. I am currently running Windows vista. How can I fix this. Help please.

First thing to try is a reboot and then the first thing to open is Malwarebytes and click the free download. Install this and do the update and a FULL system scan. Let it remove whatever it finds.

Second, what are you running for antivirus? If it is not up to date and you need a new one, go to http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ and download that free program which covers malware, spyware and virus. Install and let it do the whole update and scan as well.

Report back with your findings and if you still have issues, we can deal with them. :D

I too seeked the same help from the very people who have responded.....

Mine had to do with an update that had to do with indexing (for faster searches) that got caught in a perpetual cycle of nothingness.....I fought for a long time (almost two weeks) with hopes of seeing light at the end of the tunnel....

my fastest solution, was to just rebuild and be sure to not include that update....

maybe the grim reaper on this one....and hopefully not, but running vista ultimate 64bit, and that was my fix -- hope yours is less painful....

Last edited:
Vista

If you can afford it, switch to Win 7. It is MUCH better. I usually don't like to index things and better off just putting data you want to share across the network in a shared folder. I have been testing it for a few months and it is the best windows to date. I had actually bought Vista 64 to run games, but Win 7 blows it away, so I just ordered Win 7 Pro 64-bit from newegg for $119 (that was after a $20 promo code) and that was with free shipping. For internet work(vid downloads, mail, etc), I use Linux in a dual boot setup. No virus or malware can touch it (for now anyway) and I don't even have to run any virus software. It is stable and free. I have a Q9550 (mod to 3.4Ghz), 8 Gigs Ram, GTS 250 1Gig Vidcard). It is fast, to say the least. Give a little info on the computer you are running and just to make sure it is up to the task of 64-bit. Hope this helps!

Ken

P.S. been building and modding computers for quite a while.

I should mention....Win7 Pro 64bit on work laptop.....barebones Vista Ultimate x64 on beater laptop

and have not had issue with Win7, and choose not to index on the Vista machine....

Last edited:
Many times, based on what you describe, a simple reboot will fix the problem as it's typically a memory leak causing the response problem.

Other than that, follow what FZ1inNH states and I'd be surprised if your problem isn't fixed.

While I do like W7, I've never had an issue on my x64 Vista Ultimate machine, but I waited to get it until SP1 was released.

I take it that Eric does not use other OEM antivirus softwares.

I do but I there's only one that is worth using, takes the least amount of resources and doesn't crash my system. ESET NOD32 is the best we've ever had at work. Symantec and McAfee are horrible system resource hogs. AVG is terrible at catching all items. Clam is only great for Unix/Linux systems. Panda is a cloud product and has no many false positives.

The new Microsoft suite covers all the unwanted items and is the only free product that offers a TRUE realtime system scanner. I'd rather people not spend money if they don't have to. :tup:

Personally, I never had any technical issues with Vista. I used it for over 2 years. What I did not like is that it definitely seemed a bit slower and they layered some complexity on top of, what used to be, fairly simple tasks.

Now Windows 7 I absolutely love. I Installed it on the same PC that I had Windows Vista on and it definitely runs much faster. This is a 32bit Dell system with RAm maxed out and I have no issue playing any of my 3D games. I am still in the hunt for a 64bit system but 32 still runs great.

In the past 15 years I have always recommended everyone wait for the first service pack to come out before picking up any Microsoft O.S. or Office Suite. This is the first O.S.from Microsoft in 15 years that I recommend every go out and buy now.

What are you doing? I said GO!

It is that good and that solid. They did a fantastic job.

Thanks Everyone that has provided me with info. Big help. I have been wanting to purchase win 7 but since the baby has now arrived spending has been put on hold. Taken the advice given and so far no probs.

Thanks Everyone that has provided me with info. Big help. I have been wanting to purchase win 7 but since the baby has now arrived spending has been put on hold. Taken the advice given and so far no probs.

I would never tell anybody to do anything illegal ;) but if you download vuze you can find preatty much anything on there. I have windows 7 on my computer and office 2007, still running strong without problems.

Last edited:
Also , If no one else has mentioned it download Glare Utilities.

It helps manage a variety of things along with the fact it cleans your registry very well.

I do but I there's only one that is worth using, takes the least amount of resources and doesn't crash my system. ESET NOD32 is the best we've ever had at work. Symantec and McAfee are horrible system resource hogs. AVG is terrible at catching all items. Clam is only great for Unix/Linux systems. Panda is a cloud product and has no many false positives.

The new Microsoft suite covers all the unwanted items and is the only free product that offers a TRUE realtime system scanner. I'd rather people not spend money if they don't have to. :tup:
Infact ESET is the only one I use and have been happy with it for the last 4-5 years.

Back