Help finding a steering damper kit under $150.00

The fork clamp for my XV920R cracked. Keep an eye on it.
this is the one I ordered Pro-tek Aluminum Motorcycle 54mm Fork Tube Clamp PRO-FTC-54mm Fork Tube Clamp
$(KGrHqJ,!qgE-zCs0okbBP48RNUB(w~~60_12.JPG

My experience with my 2007 FZ1 in stock trim or setup much like FZ1inNH's bike, it has been rock stable. I ride my bike hard on crappy roads and power wheelie over the crest of rises and push it a bit. Never once has it more than wiggled as the wheel returned to center. Anytime the front end gets light enough to allow the forks to fully extend, your gonna get some wiggle. That's your shift indicator! Or it's letting you know hooligan one wheel antics are just a throttle test away. Either way, this 165 lb guy has ridden 2 other Gen II FZ1s, both with R1 front ends with much more aggressive handling, and they were also stable. The turn in QUICK.

One of them would be mine I guess. The stock FZ1 forks are not bad at all with proper settings for anyone weighing less than 200 lbs.

I just order the damper and the fork clamp, can you give me dimensions on the triangular plate and a list of the reminder hardware please. its my first time doing this so all the help will be greatly appreciated :bowd own:
I took the cheapskate route.

Take one 2nd hand R1 damper for $25, buy a fork clamp from china $20 (54mm on the GenII). Make a triangular plate, drill 3 holes for 3 bushes and bolt it under the steering stem/above the radiator (remove the two existing bolts) and fit it up there...

AN OEM damper kit for under $50!

9gyi5u.jpg

I just order the damper and the fork clamp, can you give me dimensions on the triangular plate and a list of the reminder hardware please. its my first time doing this so all the help will be greatly appreciated :bowd own:

Sorry, I forgot about this thread :eek:

I will take some measurement later for you ;)

Sorry, I forgot about this thread :eek:

I will take some measurement later for you ;)

Thanks, i been breaking my head over this lol, I think I'm getting close; here is what I have so far:
the 2 bolts that go into the frame above the radiator are 6mm x 1.0 1 3/4" length I think.
the bolt use to hold the damper should be 8mm x 1.25 length x 1 1/2" if I use 1" spacers or bushings
I'm thinking 1" spacers and I'm not sure on any dimensions for the bracket :surrender::surrender::bowdown::bowdown:

Here you go...
243euio.jpg

The overall length of the plate is dependant on the thickness of the bushes you use.
The damper will move around as you move the steering so the main excersise here is not to have the damper hit your radiator...

Hope that helps...

:needpics:
And here it is ladies and gentleman, I present to you A steering damper for the FZ1 2nd Gen under $ 150, I bought the best stuff I could find on McMaster-Carr and I still came under my $ 150 budget I'm thinking about making more of these and selling them on ebay or here, whats your opinion?
special thanks to Mattsplat,Chandler and Hellgate :bowdown::bowdown:

Well I am not quite sure why you thanked me... :p

That looks fantastic.

what did you end up making the bracket with?

I would be interested in buying one so I didn't have to deal with making the brackets and getting the hardware together!

Can you give any thoughts on how much more resistance there is?

Well I am not quite sure why you thanked me... :p

That looks fantastic.

what did you end up making the bracket with?

I would be interested in buying one so I didn't have to deal with making the brackets and getting the hardware together!

Can you give any thoughts on how much more resistance there is?

I made the bracket with a very good aluminum alloy

The resistance is depending on the oil viscosity, I tried 5w, 10w, and 20w, I like 20 the best!

I made the bracket with a very good aluminum alloy

The resistance is depending on the oil viscosity, I tried 5w, 10w, and 20w, I like 20 the best!

Aw, so you soaked the thing in oil and pumped it in through the bleed hole?

I am surprised you took it on and off so many times!

If you want to share the item numbers for the bolt and bushings you used off that web site then that would be greatly appreciated ;)

I should probably order a variety of metric bolts - but I have no idea was the thread pitch typically is on most bikes - I feel like it is a standard 1.5 something if I can recall... That website makes them look pretty cheap in comparison to buying a "kit".

:needpics:
And here it is ladies and gentleman, I present to you A steering damper for the FZ1 2nd Gen under $ 150, I bought the best stuff I could find on McMaster-Carr and I still came under my $ 150 budget I'm thinking about making more of these and selling them on ebay or here, whats your opinion?
special thanks to Mattsplat,Chandler and Hellgate :bowdown::bowdown:

Does your damper move around in your mount?

Last edited:
Yes it moves around , I made sure that there was nothing restricting the way it suppost to move

I noticed mine on my R1 moves around with how its mounted. I was gonna mention in when I take it in for the 600 mile break in inspection, but sounds like they are supposed to be a little loose

Aw, so you soaked the thing in oil and pumped it in through the bleed hole?

I am surprised you took it on and off so many times!

If you want to share the item numbers for the bolt and bushings you used off that web site then that would be greatly appreciated ;)

I should probably order a variety of metric bolts - but I have no idea was the thread pitch typically is on most bikes - I feel like it is a standard 1.5 something if I can recall... That website makes them look pretty cheap in comparison to buying a "kit".
I use the 7mm allen wrench to empty and refill its faster, easier and more effective that way.
once everything is mounted in place the only thing you take off is the damper, it takes less than 5 minutes and 5 minutes to swap the oil.
yes, i can share the list of the hardware I used, (ill pm you the list)

I rode about 30 miles today, is very windy and cold, however I notice my bike more stable in the wind and was able to hold a better line in the curves, it feels great @! once weather warms up I'm going to ride the mountains and post another reply

I am glad to hear that you liked it. When I get the trade secret pm from you I will order up as well and try the 5w and 20w oil to gauge the difference between the two. The damper is only so big so it cant make a huge difference.

The bike already centers pretty well but I am excited to take out some extra room for careless error on my part!

Back