Help finding a steering damper kit under $150.00

I took the cheapskate route.

Take one 2nd hand R1 damper for $25, buy a fork clamp from china $20 (54mm on the GenII). Make a triangular plate, drill 3 holes for 3 bushes and bolt it under the steering stem/above the radiator (remove the two existing bolts) and fit it up there...

AN OEM damper kit for under $50!

9gyi5u.jpg
Does anyone have a copy of the picture of the triangular plate that Mattsplat posted?

I know this was posted a while ago, but curious if anyone has a picture, diagram or ideas on what the plate would look like.

I have found all my parts with patience can be found at STT or WERA forums. Sport track time and the wera boards have parts sections for sale. They are always rotating motorcycles, if it's not in the for sale section just post up a request.
Track day junkies do use parts and also keep backups.

No activity from Mattsplat for a while.
@Billythediablo - can you help with any pictures, dimensions or hardware please?
I've already purchased a used R1 damper and a fork clamp, so looking for guidance with the plate & fitting.
Cheers

well, I just want to be as safe as possible; So basically you think there is no need for one on the FZ1 ?
There is no need for one on these bikes. If you want one for show that’s one thing, but if you have any symptoms on any bike that might make you think ‘steering dampner’, then you should always look at your suspension first. Better off spending time to get your standard suspension set up properly. Next step would be to upgrade the suspension (R1 shock and forks). Following this path will lead to more smiles than any steering dampner will give you.

Why? This never struck me as an important mod for the FZ1 based on what I've read from the blokes here.
Ya,but you don't need one UNTIL YOU NEED ONE.
You never know when a tank slapper will happen. It might never happen, but, BUT if it does, it usually doesn't end well.
Most bikes use to come with them from the factory, WHY would they do that if they didn't think something might happen.

Ya,but you don't need one UNTIL YOU NEED ONE.
You never know when a tank slapper will happen. It might never happen, but, BUT if it does, it usually doesn't end well.
Most bikes use to come with them from the factory, WHY would they do that if they didn't think something might happen.
I'm with Kenzo, not required on street bikes with street geometry. Start with tyre pressure and tyre wear, steering stem adjustment and wear, suspension settings and servicing.. if all things are in excellent condition, these so called tank slappers aren't going to be a problem unless you freak out mid-wobble and shut the gas off.

As for bike coming with them from factory, my opinion is the masses think they're cool, so manufacturers fit them. My 2010 R1 had one fitted, and to be honest it did very little, so seems as though it was fitted for looks rather than doing anything meaningful. My 2006 R1 didn't have one fitted, and the steering response between the two bikes was pretty similar. My 2006 and 2007 FZ1 never had one, my 2014 doesn't either. The 2014 had one when I bought it and was terrible for head strem shimmy, but I fixed it with a steering head bearing adjustment and removed the damper. My XB12S didn't have one, and only had problems with the OEM dunlop tyres. My 1999 and 2005 R6s didn't have one, and also only had issues on half worn dunlops. None of my motards ever had one either, obviously. Worst bike for head shimmy was the MC22 NSR250, but it was a proddy bike, was pretty agressive, and in hindsight I was too Noob to realise the forks probably needed a rebuild. I've written off half the bikes I've owned though riding past the bike's limits, so I hardly ride tentatively.. but I've never had a shimmy turn into the so feared tank slapper resulting in a crash.

The pay-offs for not running a steering damper is you will notice when the bike needs attention, and the steering isn't muted by a damper softening the feel.

Having said that, the steering damper is almost its own religion. I'm just an atheist.

Back