Holy Crap - Exhaust weighs a canon

I am in the process of installing the full system. Here is what I came up with.

Stock Slip-On 16.8lbs
Stock Headers To Come after I remove them
Micron Slip-On 4.6lbs
Micron Headers 6.7lbs

Overall, I am pretty stoked with the weight savings. This FZ1 is going to hit my FZ6 weight territory. Power to weight ratio is going to sky-rocket :D

Last edited:
I am in the process of installing the full system. Here is what I came up with.

Stock Slip-On 16.8lbs
Stock Headers To Come after I remove them
Micron Slip-On 4.6lbs
Micron Headers 6.7lbs

Overall, I am pretty stoked with the weight savings. This FZ1 is going to hit my FZ6 weight territory. Power to weight ratio is going to sky-rocket :D

Keep us informed. I'm looking at trimming some off mine as well. The Two Bros came in yesterday but I had the bike with me and couldn't get it home so I had to take the truck today. I'll likely install it tonight! I'm going from the stock can to 4.1 lbs for the TB. Awesome! :D

The only problem is the price tag. What does a full system go for these days? I think they are all overpriced. You can buy a decent set of headers for a small block V-8 for less than half the price of an aftermarket header system for a bike. For Pete's Sake its just a bunch of tubes welded together!:shaking head:

The only problem is the price tag. What does a full system go for these days? I think they are all overpriced. You can buy a decent set of headers for a small block V-8 for less than half the price of an aftermarket header system for a bike. For Pete's Sake its just a bunch of tubes welded together!:shaking head:

This is more likely tied to R&D with volume factored in. The SB V8 would have a lot of sales with a one-time R&D where the FZ1, with changes every few model years, would have very limited sales with more frequent R&D.

You are right though... way over priced! If you think it is bad for the FZ1, try and FZ6... you get nailed for TWO cans so it nearly doubles the cost for exhaust. That was one of my other gripes about the FZ6 and why I never bought an exhaust for it. I was absolutely THRILLED to see a can shipped to me for under $425.00! :Rockon:

We could swing the bike into OCC in NY and have them design one. ;) :D

Seem to recall a gen 1 setup for around 800.00 shipped. I don't think I could give ipu MIVV can for another aftermarket slip-on.

Isn't there a 30lb. weight differnce between the FZ6 and FZ1?

BroHay

New exhausts are more than likely the number 1 customization done to motorcycles and if it's primarily for the sake of indivualizing the bike I guess it's worth the price. If it's done with the intent of giving the thing an economically efficient way to increase performance, there's simply no way to make it cost effective. I bought my "08" for $8240 and when I added my Suono and PCIII I had to pluck down darned near $1000. That's about 12% of the original cost and I doubt I'll ever experience the difference in performance. I am pretty sure I'll have the bike beyond the life expectancy of the can so sooner or later I'll either replace it with something else or go back to the original equipment.

I still like the change I made but I'd hate to have to substantiate the cost vs. performance increase to someone who knew their stuff. In fact, in an absolute apples to apples comparison, take two riders with the same capabilities, one my weight (150 lbs) and another who is a larger rider (say 200 lbs. and I think the 150 rider will have more advantange than a pipe is likely to give.

New exhausts are more than likely the number 1 customization done to motorcycles and if it's primarily for the sake of indivualizing the bike I guess it's worth the price. If it's done with the intent of giving the thing an economically efficient way to increase performance, there's simply no way to make it cost effective. I bought my \"08\" for $8240 and when I added my Suono and PCIII I had to pluck down darned near $1000. That's about 12% of the original cost and I doubt I'll ever experience the difference in performance. I am pretty sure I'll have the bike beyond the life expectancy of the can so sooner or later I'll either replace it with something else or go back to the original equipment.

I still like the change I made but I'd hate to have to substantiate the cost vs. performance increase to someone who knew their stuff. In fact, in an absolute apples to apples comparison, take two riders with the same capabilities, one my weight (150 lbs) and another who is a larger rider (say 200 lbs. and I think the 150 rider will have more advantange than a pipe is likely to give.

Very well said. I agree.

New exhausts are more than likely the number 1 customization done to motorcycles and if it's primarily for the sake of indivualizing the bike I guess it's worth the price. If it's done with the intent of giving the thing an economically efficient way to increase performance, there's simply no way to make it cost effective. I bought my \"08\" for $8240 and when I added my Suono and PCIII I had to pluck down darned near $1000. That's about 12% of the original cost and I doubt I'll ever experience the difference in performance. I am pretty sure I'll have the bike beyond the life expectancy of the can so sooner or later I'll either replace it with something else or go back to the original equipment.

I agree, to a point. If you carry that argument to the extreme the motorcycle itself is simply a toy, at least in the US. Most of us don't us it as a sole means of transportation and its a hobby. So if its a hobby...mod away and don't worry about the value of the mod as you'll never get you money back out of it.

Seem to recall a gen 1 setup for around 800.00 shipped. I don't think I could give ipu MIVV can for another aftermarket slip-on.

Isn't there a 30lb. weight differnce between the FZ6 and FZ1?

BroHay

2009 FZ6 is 459 lbs wet.

2009 FZ1 is 485 lbs wet.

Not a huge difference at all, eh? ;) 26 lbs.... and tonight, I'm dropping 11.5 of those lbs so I'll be down to 473.5 and closing in. :Rockon:

That meagre difference is also what stoked me about the FZ1. Remove the AIS and the rear fender, you will get even closer. Not to forget some better tires may be lighter too like the BT-016 compared to the stock PRs.

Oh and if you can live w/o it remove the center stand. I read somewhere that it was 6 lbs. I have not personally confirmed this, but it seems reasonable.

That meagre difference is also what stoked me about the FZ1. Remove the AIS and the rear fender, you will get even closer. Not to forget some better tires may be lighter too like the BT-016 compared to the stock PRs.

I may have to remove the AIS. Did you buy Ivan's blockoff plates or did you do the $.02 fix with epoxy?

Another guy said to unplug the hose from the airbox, cap the hole and then cap the hose so it can't pull fresh air. Does that fix anything or create problems?

With the TB installed, it had a lot of small popping on decell yesterday. heavy popping with, of course, heavier decell. No actual backfiring though.

I agree, to a point. If you carry that argument to the extreme the motorcycle itself is simply a toy, at least in the US. Most of us don't us it as a sole means of transportation and its a hobby. So if its a hobby...mod away and don't worry about the value of the mod as you'll never get you money back out of it.

My thoughts exactly. None of us, I imagine, has to have a motorcycle, and thus, it's primarily for fun. (sure, some fuel savings if you commute frequently)
This reasoning is why I sold my Kawa 650R-which I'd only owned 8 months- and bought the FZ1. The 650R is a decent bike, IMO, however it's deficiencies frustrated me. Then I realized, there is no point in owning something for fun, if it's not fun. :cool:

I may have to remove the AIS. Did you buy Ivan's blockoff plates or did you do the $.02 fix with epoxy?

Another guy said to unplug the hose from the airbox, cap the hole and then cap the hose so it can't pull fresh air. Does that fix anything or create problems?

With the TB installed, it had a lot of small popping on decell yesterday. heavy popping with, of course, heavier decell. No actual backfiring though.

The 2c or the hose block works well I guess. I somehow don't get much popping with the micron at all. I have the Ivan's block off plates but that is because i got a bundle deal on ebay for pc3, fce, ais, bmc, 47T for like $350

My thoughts exactly. None of us, I imagine, has to have a motorcycle, and thus, it's primarily for fun. (sure, some fuel savings if you commute frequently)
This reasoning is why I sold my Kawa 650R-which I'd only owned 8 months- and bought the FZ1. The 650R is a decent bike, IMO, however it's deficiencies frustrated me. Then I realized, there is no point in owning something for fun, if it's not fun. :cool:

I agree with both you and Pete here.

The bike isn't my sole transportation but I make it my primary when the season arrives until the snow comes again. I do commute with it every possible day and only don't take it if there is a total downpur when I am ready to leave for work. If it rains on the way home, that is what the rain suit is for. I just hate getting into gear then the rain suit in the morning then having to find a place at work to let it hang and dry. They frown on me hanging it in or around my cube area.

As for the mods, I do it to personalize the bike and make it my own. I put the TB on because the stock tumor is both ugly and weighs so much it really unbalances the bike. Poor design on Yamaha's part. Any performance gains it offers is just a bonus. I am keeping the stock can though. Might need it for trade-in, in the event the TB fails, I lay the bike down and need an exhaust :eek: , or NH gets very strict with inspections and the TB doesn't pass. Thank you for "slip-on" exhausts!

So, CrazyBiker, any word on the weight of the stock headers? ;)

Back