Leaning too much..

Ok so ive been seeing some posts on various forums about if you lean too much and you rub your sliders on the ground, or the footpegs it can "Suck you in" and you can crash.

Can someone please explain what that exactly means, as I dont understand how that makes you crash?

Granted I never lean nearly to that extent, I just dont understand it. Sorry in advance for the noobish question.

Thanks!

What they mean is the footpegs, typically the peg feelers, those knobs hanging off the bottom....

When you lean into a corner, you can drive the peg feeler (or peg if you are low enough) into the asphalt when then acts as a pivot point and releases the rear tire from the road meaning no grip. This will result in a low-side slide most of the time and if the bike catches with you trying to stand it back up, a high-side with you being ejected.

Here is an example of a guy catching a peg...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfL43pTFRs]YouTube - Motorcycle wreck[/ame]

People have been scraping pegs for years and years without crashing their bikes. Your footpegs are spring loaded and would fold up as they come in contact with the road. You would however wear your "feelers" down to nothing in no time. As for crashing, you'd have to be leaned over pretty far and would probably crash due to tire grip and not your footpegs. I'm hoping to be able to drag a peg or two this September down at "the Gap".

What they mean is the footpegs, typically the peg feelers, those knobs hanging off the bottom....

When you lean into a corner, you can drive the peg feeler (or peg if you are low enough) into the asphalt when then acts as a pivot point and releases the rear tire from the road meaning no grip. This will result in a low-side slide most of the time and if the bike catches with you trying to stand it back up, a high-side with you being ejected.

Here is an example of a guy catching a peg...

YouTube - Motorcycle wreck

I would say that this scenario is the exception and not the norm.

Is it possible to lean too much?

You can easily unscrew the feelers from the pegs and pick up more clearance.

If you're a moderate rider chances are you won't scape peg on the street; on that track that is a completely different story as the FZ footpeg placement is pretty wide, low and forward.

Is it possible to lean too much?

You can easily unscrew the feelers from the pegs and pick up more clearance.

If you're a moderate rider chances are you won't scape peg on the street; on that track that is a completely different story as the FZ footpeg placement is pretty wide, low and forward.

I was surprised on my trackday last week just how easy it was to scrape the pegs in the FZ1. In my first session, on a drying track, I was scraping the peg within 4-5 laps :eek5:
The peg feelers/hero blobs/lean angle indicators were taken off at the end of the session. This meant the within another couple of sessions or so, I was scraping the pegs instead!

Looks like my next mod is gonna be some rearsets!

Over here we call them Hero Blobs, I've not heard of them digging in !

If you look closely you can just see the sparks comming off mine and it's just gringing down

DSC_1299.jpg

Over here we call them Hero Blobs, I've not heard of them digging in !

If you look closely you can just see the sparks comming off mine and it's just gringing down

DSC_1299.jpg

The only time that I have had some metal touch down hard (not enough to jack my back end off the pavement) was hitting a dip in the road, mid corner while leaned over fairly hard (I wasn't even at the edge of the tire). It was my center stand, not the feeler on th peg. I certainly would not leave the center stand on if I was doing a track day.

Ok cool. Well I dont lean it hard enough to even hit the feeler pegs so I guess im good.

We dont have intence enough twisties around here for that, and I dont have the balls to hit them fast enough to warrent such an excessive lean angle. lol

Ok cool. Well I dont lean it hard enough to even hit the feeler pegs so I guess im good.

We dont have intence enough twisties around here for that, and I dont have the balls to hit them fast enough to warrent such an excessive lean angle. lol

It is always better to test your limits, and that of the bike's, on the track anyway, so just as well. At least on the track if you have an "off" you won't get run over by a truck that was following too close or coming around the corner the other way. All the gear in the world wouldn't help you then.

I was surprised on my trackday last week just how easy it was to scrape the pegs in the FZ1. In my first session, on a drying track, I was scraping the peg within 4-5 laps :eek5:
The peg feelers/hero blobs/lean angle indicators were taken off at the end of the session. This meant the within another couple of sessions or so, I was scraping the pegs instead!

Looks like my next mod is gonna be some rearsets!

Yup, one of my first mods was rearsets.

It is always better to test your limits, and that of the bike's, on the track anyway, so just as well. At least on the track if you have an "off" you won't get run over by a truck that was following too close or coming around the corner the other way. All the gear in the world wouldn't help you then.

Yeah looking at my tires it would say a lot.. Ive got about a 3/4" chicken strip on each side of the rear, a little less on the right side. For some reason im a LOT more comfortable dipping the bike harder in the right turns vs the left.

I wore my stock pegs down until they were about half-way gone... through the feelers... through the aluminum.... through the rubber.... I have rearsets now... the Gilles I have now don't drag nearly as easily as I have them set in the furthest up and back position... but, when they drag... things get scary... as long as you have stock pegs or otherwise folding pegs, don't worry too much about dragging them... the only way it'll cause a problem is if you drop a peg into a pothole and it gets stuck...

now... the other type of "leaning too far" is gong beyond what your tires / suspension is capable of.... don't do that.

Yeah looking at my tires it would say a lot.. Ive got about a 3/4" chicken strip on each side of the rear, a little less on the right side. For some reason im a LOT more comfortable dipping the bike harder in the right turns vs the left.

Me too, my right hand hero blob ground away long ago and now the end of the footrest is gone! On the nearside the wear is nothing like as bad.

For me it's the opposite, I like left hand turns better. Are you a lefty by any chance? We had a discussion about this a while back and most people felt more comfortable leaning more to one side than the other.

From what I've been reading, if you're not on the throttle a bit through the corner (while leaned over), the suspension is actually compressed, decreasing ground clearance. If i'm understanding the keith code book correctly, a slight amount of throttle/roll on will shift the weight back accordingly and will also extend the suspension slightly. He recommends a 60/40 bias (R/F) to properly load the rear tire.

To the OP, get the book twist of the wrist 2 and read it several times.. Might help improve your technique.

As for lefts vs rights, I've favored rights for a long long time. Part of the problem was not looking through properly on the lefts. Set up for the corner before you actually flick the bike.

My first thought was "sliders" as being the knee sliders. Sucking you in may mean into thinking you have too much lean angle and then standing it up and not completing the corner causing the crash.

Both my peg feelers have been removed. Ground down at the track and some on the street and they have never caused a problem. Although the first instinct when they touch was to stand it up and stop the grinding.

From what I've been reading, if you're not on the throttle a bit through the corner (while leaned over), the suspension is actually compressed, decreasing ground clearance. If i'm understanding the keith code book correctly, a slight amount of throttle/roll on will shift the weight back accordingly and will also extend the suspension slightly. He recommends a 60/40 bias (R/F) to properly load the rear tire.

To the OP, get the book twist of the wrist 2 and read it several times.. Might help improve your technique.

As for lefts vs rights, I've favored rights for a long long time. Part of the problem was not looking through properly on the lefts. Set up for the corner before you actually flick the bike.

Good reading and helpful. I look as far through the corner as possible and it helps me be faster through it.

Back