Leaning too much..

I was surprised on my trackday last week just how easy it was to scrape the pegs in the FZ1. In my first session, on a drying track, I was scraping the peg within 4-5 laps :eek5:
The peg feelers/hero blobs/lean angle indicators were taken off at the end of the session. This meant the within another couple of sessions or so, I was scraping the pegs instead!

Looks like my next mod is gonna be some rearsets!

I concur, i wore my pegs out (not feelers "pegs") & 2 pairs of knee sliders. I tried different pegs to gain height but ended up getting rearsets. My rearsets are set about 15-20mm higher than stock. The stock set-up on the FZ1 was too low for the track. As far as rearsets i went with the cheapest= Ottimoto off Ebay. I have done a track day and about 2-3k road. I cannot fault them they work perfectly and look good. I looked at more expensive sets but i am glad i saved $ and went for these big thumbs up!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any noob sportbike riders scraped their pegs yet? At what point did you guys feel/think you can lean enough to scrape pegs without fear of falling over? Maybe some of you just said hey he did it and didn't fall, so can I.

Ok what I'm trying to ask how do you build up enough confidence to do this, at what stage of riding?

Any noob sportbike riders scraped their pegs yet? At what point did you guys feel/think you can lean enough to scrape pegs without fear of falling over? Maybe some of you just said hey he did it and didn't fall, so can I.

Ok what I'm trying to ask how do you build up enough confidence to do this, at what stage of riding?

I don't think it should be your intention to scrape your pegs as it doesn't mean your faster or a better rider than someone who doesn't. Getting your knee down is just a gauge to tell you how far you should go in terms of lean angle. Also, it's something that should be done at the track and not so much on the street. On public roads you have to deal with so many other variables such as oncoming traffic, debris in the road, animals, etc. I've seen many a skilled rider just smoke guys on the mountain and never once touch anything while on a turn. I'd much rather get a knee down than scrape the hell out of my pegs, but thats just me. And trust me, its a fact that with the FZ1 and really decent tires, you would definitely scrape your pegs before you ever reach the limits of your tire breaking loose. You just have to have confidence in your tires, and proper turn in technique. I would just hope that you would save that sort of riding in a controlled enviroment. Do a couple of track days if you want to build confidence in yourself and your bike. Most of all, be careful!

^ yeah certainly. I obviously dont intend to do this on a street, I just wanted to get an idea at what point in someones riding career did they get to this point. Thanks for ur input.

Not far after the peg scraping is the muffler scraping. I've done that a few times on the FZ1, but only gently. I have lifted the rear off the deck on a ZR7 though, 'cause the can hit the deck hard. Was a little bit disconcerting I must say.

One other thing to look at in the quest for keeping the undercarriage off the black stuff is the rear shock. If it is too soft (ie. you're too heavy) the bike will squat every time you gas it and stuff will scrape.

I concur, i wore my pegs out (not feelers "pegs") & 2 pairs of knee sliders. I tried different pegs to gain height but ended up getting rearsets. My rearsets are set about 15-20mm higher than stock. The stock set-up on the FZ1 was too low for the track. As far as rearsets i went with the cheapest= Ottimoto off Ebay. I have done a track day and about 2-3k road. I cannot fault them they work perfectly and look good. I looked at more expensive sets but i am glad i saved $ and went for these big thumbs up!!!

That's good to hear about the Ottimoto rearsets, I was going to start a thread asking if anyone's got them and what they're like!

That's good to hear about the Ottimoto rearsets, I was going to start a thread asking if anyone's got them and what they're like!

I have already posted threads about these rearsets.

It is all about technique & confidence. I have ridden with very good riders who have never had there knee down. Put some decent rubber on your bike and do a trackday. The track is the best place to learn lines, braking and moving your ass on your bike in a safe environment with good tarmac. It isn't all about getting you "knee down", getting around the corner as fast as possible with as much tyre contact patch on the tarmac is the objective. Also get your suspension setup correct and warm your tyres up properly. Good times +

From what I've been reading, if you're not on the throttle a bit through the corner (while leaned over), the suspension is actually compressed, decreasing ground clearance. If i'm understanding the keith code book correctly, a slight amount of throttle/roll on will shift the weight back accordingly and will also extend the suspension slightly. He recommends a 60/40 bias (R/F) to properly load the rear tire.

To the OP, get the book twist of the wrist 2 and read it several times.. Might help improve your technique.

As for lefts vs rights, I've favored rights for a long long time. Part of the problem was not looking through properly on the lefts. Set up for the corner before you actually flick the bike.

You're spot on GPz, you want to be rolling on the gas once you've passed apex.

For me it doesn't matter if it is a left or a right as so much the corner itself' on camber, off camber, decreasing radius, road surface quality, etc.

The peg feelers were the 1st thing I removed from my bike. I have scrapped the pegs without them, but it's none too smart of public roads. Then again, I've never been considered a genius. :retard:

Rearsets are the only way to go on this bike!, i don't know how so many of you guys are riding around still with the "feelers"?. Scrapping your pegs isn't good especially on the road and it doesn't take much for sh*t to happin. I am not advertising Ottimoto but for $200-250 for a set of adjustable rearsets it's a no-brainer. It makes me laugh, reading threads about all the bolt-on bling things, and yet the great debates about spending $ on suspension, rearsets & the bits that make your bike handle and perform. I've just read a thread about how uncomfortable the stock seat is?, my stock seat is just fine ( maybe i have a fat ass!!!). But maybe if these guys had some decient suspension setup for there weight so the bike didnt feel like a pogo stick the seat wouldn't be an issue?. No disrespect here, maybe i joined the wrong forum to discuss things like tyres, performance & handling?.

Aftermarket sets are fully adjustable so you cna move the pegs up, down, forward and backward to get a position that is more suited to your riding style or comfort.

va_rider bought a nice set recently. Aaron??

Back