Looking for a comfortable, quiet helmet

Originally I had a GMAX full face, I bought the helmet two sizes two large because I was just new into getting a bike and did not ask for assistance at the dealer like I should have.

Currently, I have a Scorpion EXO-400 Tribal, I really like the fit, but I am wondering if others have a quieter helmet. The helmet is not real noisy.
I know there are a lot of helmets out there and I would like to hear what others have and what they think about what they have. I would also like to hear if there are other items besides ear plugs (got those) that help with noise.

Thanks.

Originally I had a GMAX full face, I bought the helmet two sizes two large because I was just new into getting a bike and did not ask for assistance at the dealer like I should have.

Currently, I have a Scorpion EXO-400 Tribal, I really like the fit, but I am wondering if others have a quieter helmet. The helmet is not real noisy.
I know there are a lot of helmets out there and I would like to hear what others have and what they think about what they have. I would also like to hear if there are other items besides ear plugs (got those) that help with noise.

Thanks.

I'm going with the EXO1000 for my next lid. I love the flip down sun visor that it has.

contemplating trading up from my tribal exo-400 to a shoei (the 3-400 price tier and last years model) and then there is the the flagship 700.00 lid.

Arai....but you can add 200.00 on top of that. I have to go with what I can try on....not confident, or enough lid experience to be able to go shop online to get better pricing.

contemplating trading up from my tribal exo-400 to a shoei (the 3-400 price tier and last years model) and then there is the the flagship 700.00 lid.

Arai....but you can add 200.00 on top of that. I have to go with what I can try on....not confident, or enough lid experience to be able to go shop online to get better pricing.
Yeah, well I only paid $145 for my Scorpion EXO 400. I tried on some Shoei and Arai helmets at the time but the Scorpion felt pretty comparable. I have also worn an HJC a little bit but did not care for it very much.

Noise within a helmet is due to various reasons
1. Size of the helmet - if its too big its going to be noisy
2. Ventilation provided by the helmet - The more the ventilation the more air its going to let in hence more noise

Shoeis are considered very good helmets when it comes to reducing the wind noise.
Arai has recently introduced the RX Q line. Arai comes up with new helmets when they claim to have made big changes from their previous model. the RX Q has a completely new inside liner. Its got ear pads that will reduce the wind noise by a lot. Its due in March so you might want to wait until then and try them out.

You would not need a loan after all. They are priced cheaper than the Arai Corsair V.. You get a better helmet for less.....:wow:

Last edited:
I think Arai understands the helmet market is getting competitive and it has to price its products lower than what it has done in the recent past. I own a scorpion and an Arai and the difference in them is evident. Scorpion is cheap and functional. When I ride in my Arai helmet, I know what I have paid for – a really light helmet with great ventilation and the best protection that money can buy.

Most Important: shape/size/fit of the helmet - different brands have different shapes - all heads are not created equal.

After that - make sure they pass DOT or Euro standards, which would be hard to avoid.

Then comes function/style/maintenance-ability choices, and noise.

Either way - they're all noisy, and earplugs will always be a good addition.

:icon_beer:

As someone else mention the position of the vents (and their number) plays a significant role in the noise department. I have a Scorpion EXO-700 and it's fairly loud. Next season I am going to start wearing ear plugs. I am also eying the new Shoei RF-1100, but have heard that's it's a little noisy as well. One thing that I have noticed that helps with the wind noise is having a chin curtain on the helmet.

I think the 'noise' issue is less related to the helmet than to the windscreen you use.I'v got a Fulmer modular that I'm currently useing, along with both a HJC and KBC full face. The Windscreen is bone stock and as such dirrects a bit of noies 'wind' towards the bottom of the helmets at the neck area. However I'm 6'2". The full-face helmets diminish some of the wind sound, where the Fulmer modular does not reduce it as much, at least not as well. I love the modular for a bunch of reasons, but of course feel safer in a full-face by the nature of their design. I think the key here lies in the windscreen however as for noise supression.

CHIN CURTAIN or neck-gaitorPS. I'll have to add that the KBC wore out (Frayed) in the rear neck area in only a little less than a years time, not happy with that, though I can still wear it and it does not cause any weird feel at the frayed area.

Last edited:
If you have a Cycle Gear store (or something similar) near you, go there and have them help you with the fit.
Cycle gear is having a sale this week (Thursday, 2/11/10 from 7 PM- 9 PM) on closeout items - extra 20% off (online & in store).

However, I just bought a Shoei RF-1100 for $360 from Competition Accessories online-still less expensive than Cycle Gear's sale price.

The RF-1100, for me, is the absolute most comfy lid I've ever had on, and I've had Shark, Shoei, Arai, Scorpion, & AGV in the past.

Check this video out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6E5ki7jQ0]YouTube - Arai Helmet Fit Guide by Arai America[/ame]

Bruce Potter is director of Arai Marketing in the US. I have seen him at AMA races and also at International Motorcycle shows providing useful information to people about helmet technology and what to look for in a helmet that will suit your needs.

Why are some people such helmet snobs? I mean seriously? ;) What evidence is there that Arai and Shoe are safer than any helmet that meet the same safety standards? I have no problem with someone droping $400+ on a helmet. More power to them if they can afford it. But please... please do not act like anyone who spends less is in some way an idiot that does not care about their own safety. It is condescending. Every person here is very safety conscious. What you get for the several hunderd extra dollars is fit and finish not necesarily better protection.

I agree with Pyrogenic in the order of prioroities when selecting a helmet with one minor exception. I look for the safety certs first and then narrow down to best fit.

There are tons of sub $300 helmets out there that meet all the same safety requirements of the more expensive lids. Some even less than $150. Of those you will definitely find one that fits well. You will even find some that are very light and very quite. Do your research. For anyone looking for a new helmet definitely search WebBikeWorld for it. Chances are they have reviewed it and cover all the features and safety mentioned in this thread.
webBikeWorld

I love Arai and Shoe and have used both in the past. One day, if I ever get another raise, I may get another. In the mean time I live with a little wind noise. :)

A helmet will save you in MOST circumstances, and 100% more than no helmet. Alot of times the helmets fall into the fashion thing with certain brands in Vogue. I;v tryed on Shoei's that fit terribly, but thats no reflection on Shoei. HJC just fits the best for me. When I get a helmet the first thing I do is remove all the stickers and brand decals anyway, I'm not an advertisement board for anyone. Comes down to the poser thing again.

Expensive or practical ?

Not sure if it was last year or the year before, I read an article about helmets and safety ratings (SNELL & DOT ) seems I was looking for a new helmet and not sure why there was such a price difference in helmets besides the material
& design. The thing that took me back was the China made a helmet that came in as the safest and cheapest helmet on the market at that time.
But, it may not be the lightest or the most comfortable or even sound proof out of the bunch.

I have 2 KBC one Bell and a HJC helmet, not the greatest of helmets. I find the KBC to be fairly comfortable and quite, but to heavy, you feel it on long trips.

My advice to you is try a few helmets on for fit and comfort, also the lightest helmet you can afford to buy. Wind noise is always going to be a problem, just ride with ear plugs.

If you have time, here's a link to MANY noise tests with all sorts of helmets. Motorcycle Helmet Noise - webBikeWorld

FWIW, I buy Shoei not because of the brand, but because they make helmets that fit my head correctly. I also had a under-$100 helmet, a Z1R, that performed well but was noisy. I now have the RF-1000 and with the vents all closed, it's a rather quiet helmet. Vents open it's a little more noisy but not too bad.

I've always been a big fan of Shoei but because they fit, not because they cost a lot. I also don't want money to be a factor in protecting my head. Fit first, price later.

Back