Looking for a comfortable, quiet helmet

I agree with Gohot in that the screen in front of you has a lot to do with turbulence and noise around your head. I've even gone open face and had less noise than my full-face gives. I just prefer the full-face for it's protection.

The good shark is quiet, but the med. was too tight and the L is slightly too big, but it's quiet and doesn't do the inside fog up thingie. I have the good one, rs7x something.

I'm happy with the performance of the exo400, but I'm looking for the next tier of of products. It is more of a fitment/venting that is driving my current search for a new lid.

Seeking closeout on 09 models that allow me to get more bang for buck, but also need to look at ratings should I decide tk step onto a track this year.

I'll swing by Cycle Gear and see what they have and go from there.....

I've been a Shoei guy for about 20+ years. They've saved my life and fit me well. Arai's don't fit my head correctly.

I've had the inexpensive ones and didn't care for them. I had a KBC that would smoosh on to my face at speed, the visors kinda sucked (distorted), and the lining pilled and exposed the foam quickly. Shoei, no problems at all.

Look for close outs on the prior year models and you can save a bundle. The RF1000 is a great lid.

Like the old Bell ad said, "Got a $10.00 head, buy a $10.00 helmet." Not being a snob, but shop around and get the best helmet you can afford, it is your head afterall.

For those who like the integrated sun visor, HJC has a model too. My wife had an HJC and liked it up until she dropped it and broke a vent so she now has a RF-1000 as well.
2009_HJC_IS-16_Scratch_Helmet_MC-2_blue.jpg

For those who like the integrated sun visor, HJC has a model too. My wife had an HJC and liked it up until she dropped it and broke a vent so she now has a RF-1000 as well.
2009_HJC_IS-16_Scratch_Helmet_MC-2_blue.jpg

I really like the IS-16 but it is not Snell certified which is my only gripe. It did get an excellent rating for noise though.

I really like the IS-16 but it is not Snell certified which is my only gripe. It did get an excellent rating for noise though.

True but I prefer a DOT over Snell approval in a few ways. Snell uses a uniform 5 kg weight for impact testing. DOT uses a variable depending on size with the LG and XL being tested with 6.1 kg, Med with 5 kg and small with 3.5 kg

DOT tests with 400 G acceleration and Snell only 300 G.

On Snell's side though, the anvil impact tests do exceed DOT testing with a higher fall.

I have a Shoei -X11 and I love it. I am not a name snob and I don't care how much my helmet costs. I do care about how it fits, feels, and how much it weighs. I ride 156 miles or more every day, so I don't need additional weight on my helmet.

BTW, I picked up my X11 at a local dealer on clearance! I picked it up for $260!!!

Buy, the best you can afford, but make sure it fits you! My helmet is very noisy but incredibly well vented. In the california heat that is what I need!

I have a Nolan lid which I like alot. my first criteria was thet the fit was good and that offcourse the lid has to be safe.

But have to say i do not really mind if it is a quite lid or not.

Because I always use Earplugs i don't have alot of noise anyway Because I commute every day I get alot of highway miles which give hearing damage when riding more then 10 mins without plugs I learned to use them always.

So Fit and Safety will always top my list.

Regards Michel

well, I did a pre sale search @ cycle gear....last year's shoei 1000 for 299.00 currently with an additional 20% off the after hour sale in effect.

now I just have to convince the wife to let me go participate.....

around 330.00 out the door with new shield and all.....pluhleazzzzze honey?

HellGate said "I'v had KBC's that would 'smoosh my face" .....I too have noticed that with the KBC, I think the key is to fit as tight as possable, but then the comfort's not there, thus the HJC does fit excelent with out the smooshing at high speed. If Shoei would fit me I'd probably have one. but all that I'v tryed were ....wrong.... right from pulling it down on my head and the cheek area uncomfortable.

Last edited:
well, I did a pre sale search @ cycle gear....last year's shoei 1000 for 299.00 currently with an additional 20% off the after hour sale in effect.

now I just have to convince the wife to let me go participate.....

around 330.00 out the door with new shield and all.....pluhleazzzzze honey?

That is a great deal!

Originally I had a GMAX full face, I bought the helmet two sizes two large because I was just new into getting a bike and did not ask for assistance at the dealer like I should have.

Currently, I have a Scorpion EXO-400 Tribal, I really like the fit, but I am wondering if others have a quieter helmet. The helmet is not real noisy.
I know there are a lot of helmets out there and I would like to hear what others have and what they think about what they have. I would also like to hear if there are other items besides ear plugs (got those) that help with noise.

Thanks.
if you want a quiet, good helmet at a a decent price find a new Shoei TZR - by far one of the quietest helmets on the mkt at a good price..if you dont like, that look for any helmet that does not have pockets for the visor to move in (look at Shoeis and Arai's visor set up) these pockets are what create most of the drag and wind noise on less expensive helmets
Shoei also run true to size - just make sure you know what size your head is!

Just picked up new lid from cycle gear.

RF1000 Nightwing with mirrored lens. Gave me their discount for this evenings afterhour sale :woot: :tup:

323.00 out the door!

5085e7a5.jpg

Last edited:
check the good shark. But you better try one on to figure the size. I take a m Arai, but the m shark never loosened up. The L shark is just slightly too large, but works for me.

These are quiet and never fog on the inside, least not around here, the damp sf bay area.

Nice

Just picked up new lid from cycle gear.

RF1000 Nightwing with mirrored lens. Gave me their discount for this evenings afterhour sale :woot: :tup:

323.00 out the door!

5085e7a5.jpg

That was one of the Shoeis that I looked at, nice graphics. Decided to go with the RF-1100 Warlord. Will post a picture when it gets to the house.

After all, no picture and it didn,t happen.:poke:

If you want a quiet helmet the best thing to do a buy a good pair of ear plugs.
I've had Arai and shoei helmets and from my experience they're both reasonable at keeping the noise levels at an acceptable level. Schuberth helmets are a german brand and claim to have the quietest helmets around so they might be worth checking out. They're priced at the Arai end of the market so don't expect a cheap helmet. If you check out the specs on these more expensive helmets they're all pretty similar when it comes down to noise levels.

As I said earlier fro my experience the best solution is buy some ear plugs.

Take care

If you want a quiet helmet the best thing to do a buy a good pair of ear plugs.

Yes, if you ride, gotta wear ear plugs. Really save the ears. Kinda hassel setting them right, but after awhile you figure it out. You can buy a box of foam ones that run like hundred count per box. I usually wear the same set for a week.

Back