New member welcome thread...

Hello, this is Jeff from Charleston, SC. I bought an 06 a couple weeks ago. My previous bikes have been an 02 919 and an 07 Sportster 1200C. I'm wondering what the best way to fix a few flaws with this bike are going to be.

Welcome Jeff! Not sure what flaws you're referring to...our bikes are perfect :D Seriously there are a few "issues" with these bikes, but nothing that can't be easily fixed. On the '06 Ivan's FCE is a good addition to help get rid if the throttle "snatch". Also the seat and rear shock could use some help. Search around and you'll find answers to your questions :)

New BIKE!

Long time reader, First time owner!

Just picked up a 2006 FZ1, Red. Thanks to this website I was able to determine which upgrades were highly recommended and which were just for show.:tup: Got the FCE and the PCIII. Just got my bike last Friday and it had its first 290 mi ride home to break it in.

Daniel from in So Cal. Bicycle shop employee. Im 21 and this was the bike that fit me best and also looked the best. Was considering the KTM 990, but after reading your posts about it. I decided against it.

Pic an Details and Inquires soon to follow. . .

G'Day all, Klavdy here.
Aussie, live in Queensland, work 16 twelve hour days straight in either Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands or Sierra Leone, Africa.
This gives me plenty of time off as we can save a break then have 40 days off.
I go to the U.S a couple of times a year and have kept a heavily modded (suspension, brakes + engine)1992 Yamaha FJ1200 there for the last six years.
Seppo%20FJ%20with%20USD.jpg
It has been ridden all over the U.S, with The Cherohala,BRP,Nthn CA and Colorado being favourites.
Its getting a bit long in the tooth now and its a heavy old thing so a lighter, zestier beasty is on the cards.
A Gen II would do just fine,there seems to be some great deals come up on this board.
This is what I'm after, one with bags and full cowling, plus all the usual mods (FCE, Penske etc)
4903d1152243887-ohhh-new-fz1-fz1_fullcowling_bg.jpg

I see a few familiar names on this board from other forums and a couple of blokes I've been for a ride with.
So, see you on the boards and keep a look out for a good GenII for sale.
Cheers!

My name is Gene and I'm originally from NJ but have been living in the Charlotte area for 12 years now. I live in York, SC and ride a 2001 FZ1.

Some modifications I have:

GP Suspension revalve my front and rear suspension
HEL steel brake line (front and back)
DP brake pads
3 degree timing advancer
R1 shifting arm
Ivan’s SO jet kit
Ported intake boots

Hi, Names Drew, nicknames droopy
About to buy an 04 from my manager, gonna be my first bike actually.
im 21, work at Autozone currently, hoping to make the move into management soon.
Really most of my lifes been centered on 4 wheels instead of two, but hopefully will like the change of pace

Klavdy, that is one nice FJ.

Thanks mate,
I have one pretty much the same in Australia, it too has the USD front with 320 mm brakes, Ohlins shock etc.
They have both been set up for long tours, 3 Givi bag systems, lots of powerpoints,Zumo GPS, Starcom, HID lights,Stebel Nautilus horns, Corbin seats etc,but you know, it's time to move on to something lighter and nimbler.
The Aussie FJ will be kept, its a good old bus for our rough crappy roads, what with its weight and wheelbase, but for the beautiful roads in America, it's time for something newer.

Last edited:
Lots of new people here! Welcome to you all and thanks for signing up! If you have any questions, we've either got the answer or likely, a link to it. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. We don't allow ridicule and sarcasm to spoil your quest for information. :tup:

Klavdy, that is one nice FJ.

Is that a 1st gen FZ1 swingarm on your FJ and where did you get the front forks?

That there is a genuine Thunderace swingarm with Ohlins shock and the front forks are off a YZF750 R, rebuilt with .95KG springs and R1 cartridge internals, 320 mm brake discs and revalved by GP Suspension with billet top clamp and risers, radial master cylinder, stainless lines front and rear, carbon fenders front and rear.

Here's a link to exactly the same set up, the actual parts in this link were bought off the bloke who did the write up and put on mine.

Old newbie

Hello to all.

New here, but been around the FZ1 world since 2005. I've been a second gen FZ1 owner since May of 06, and still love this bike.

Some of you may know me as "TheRepairMan" ...TRM for short, but my real name is Roger, and I'm here to help others with their bikes any way I can. I've been a professional wrench here in the US on almost all forms of privately owned motor vehicles for about 38 years now, and also have 40 years of motorcycle riding experience.

Peace

Hey all.

Just picked up an '03 FZ1 on Sunday in the fastest colors, yellow/black.

This is my 5th bike, since 2004.

'04 919
'88/'92 FZR 400/600
'03 SV 650
'71 R5
'03 FZ1

The FZ replaces the SV as my daily commuter bike, which I ride for 450-500 miles a week.

I hope to learn a lot from the collective experience here.
-Jeff

G'day. Just joined up to find out about the FZ1. I live in Melbourne Australia and currently ride a Triumph Speed Triple and also a Rocket 3. I will be visiting the US next year and am looking at buying a bike in the states for the trip (from LA, through Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Nevada and back to LA)

I have a lead on a 2001 FZ1 with 22,000 miles. I have never ridden one before although I hear good things about them. I will definitely make use of the search function before I start in with the dumb questions.

Name is John. 58 years old, been riding for 40 years, on 20 bikes. :tup:

Another Aussie!

Hello, PK1 here in Sydney with a 2010 FZ1. I've been riding for over 20 years and I'm still not bored with bikes...they just get better every year! Too many bikes - not enough time!! Must say that I love the FZ1....particularly the way it cuts through corners like a hot knife through butter. I love it.

Back