O'Neal Element Fastrack Bluetooth Helmet

I stopped by Cycle Gear yesterday afternoon looking for a new rain suit. As usual I could not get out of there with only what I was looking for. I picked up an O'Neal Fastrack Bluetooth helmet.

I have been looking at these online for weeks. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck as far as bluetooth helmets go and the price was right at $269.00 which is also the lowest price I ever saw it online. Click the link above to see a full video review from motorcycle superstore.

Without having taken it on the road yet I have synced it with my iPhone and played a bit. I will do a road test this weekend and report back. For phone the audio quality is amazing and distance is impressive. I left my phone in the living room and had the helmet in the office and my helmet started ringing. My first call!! It was my wife. With the helmet and phone 30 feet apart and through our home walls it still worked perfectly!

One of the reasons I had held off on this helmet was the fact that I read online that your music on the iPhone would not play to this headset due to some incompatability in bluetooth. Well, I can tell you that it works with the iPhone 3.0 O.S. and this GENII helmet. I am not really sure if those versions really have anything to do or not but that is what I have on the phone and the helmet. What I will tell you is to not expect a spectacular music experience. The audio lacks a little bass but other than that is great. I would still prefer this to messing with cables and ear buds. Music automatically pauses when call comes in and picks up when it ends.

Controls are easy on the left side of the helmet even with gloves on. Fit is good but needs to be broken in. As you can see in the photo it is a tiny bit smaller than my old helmet which I like.

Some cool features are:
* single push redial of last number.
* helmet to helmet communication with other Element users.
* get turn by turn audio from your BT enabled GPS and never look down again.
* MP3 stereo wireless audio.
* of course it does synch with your BT enabled phone.

Last edited:
Looks very interesting. I've been considering some sort of Bluetooth adapter for my iPod and phone. Maybe I'll look into one of these helmets. Please post your findings once you actually take it out on the road.

Looks very interesting. I've been considering some sort of Bluetooth adapter for my iPod and phone. Maybe I'll look into one of these helmets. Please post your findings once you actually take it out on the road.

Lots of rain yesterday and today. Should be mounted tomorrow though. I am eager to try thing at speed.

The bluetooth is great to have on long rides, I use the Vega V-Tune does really well can listen to songs from my iPhone and clear up to about 80mph, Phone conversations are good to about 70-75 depending on wind - enjoy your new helmet

well, I guess that I may have to ride by cycle gear and check out for myself. I've been looking for something that would allow me to take the occasional phone call --

I have not experienced with the iphone yet -- but does it have the ability to either announce name or number, to help decide if it is worth answering or not?

Adam

The iPhone does not announce the call you just get a ringing tone in the helmet however to help aid with that and to use my iPhone as GPS as well I found a handle bar mount that I slide my iPhone into so I can use the GPS and change apps while on the road if need be. (a 12v outlet is recommended if you are going to use an iPhone for GPS usage due to the draw on the internal battery, I installed a flush mount outlet on the left hand side of the bike)

you can also decline the call from the screen on the iPhone and send the call direct to VM

were you able to demo inside the store?

the only call I really care about taking while on the bike is from family -- the rest can wait until I reach my destination --

does anyone know if there is an app for that??

Adam

When I got my Vega V-Tune I was able to demo it inside the store, for non-jailbroken iPhones they do not really have an app that allows you to reject calls however if you do have an iPhone thats been jailbroken then you can get an app call iBlacklist it allows you to send all calls to VM except calls you wish to receive you just need to enable it before your ride and disable it after your ride so you do not keep sending other callers direct to VM - iBlacklist is also good if you keep getting calls from unwanted people you can send them direct to a busy signal so they do not even have a chance to leave you a VM, as well as reject anonymous callers - too bad Apple will not allow this app on the app store.

just when I had gotten jailbreakin' out of my system.....will have to go and check out this coming week.....but also await your ride report.

Adam

but does it have the ability to either announce name or number, to help decide if it is worth answering or not?

Adam

Well I have not had any bluetooth earpieces that do that either. In my garage/back yard tests with this helmet does not. I do have an Gears iWire (no more need for wire though) tank bag that has 2 clear plastic covers on it (see image). One for my phone and the other I put my phone in. Easy to take a glance down though I would rather not. Fortunately my wife is just about the only one who ever calls my cell.

Last edited:
0 - 70 MPH - Phone & Music Works Great

70+ I can barely hear the other person with volume all the way up. I can hear the beep that I am getting a call so I at least have an audible queue that a call is coming in so I can slow down or pull over. Music Works fine up to 95 or so. So far teh fact that I cannot get phone audio louder is my only complaint.

As I mentioned before if your music must be high fidelity this will not be for you. It lacks some bass. For me, who has never even listeded to music wired or unwired while riding, I enjoyed it very much.

Fit for a long ride was great. This helmet fits snug and is true to their sizing charts. I love that this one does no squeeze my cheeks like my old one did. Entire inside liner comes out for cleaning. Just do not ripp it out fast as you may need to disconnect some cables for mic.

I feel like there may be more wind noise. However, you do notice wind noise much more when you are trying to listen to something. So I may just be a little crazy.

I really wish I had more experience with COM helmets so that I had a frame of reference to give a more balanced review

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool helmet! So, does it have just an AC jack for charging or a removable battery pack to charge? Can you replace the batteries yourself if it is just a jack?

I use the Scala Q2 Multiset for bike to bike with my wife. It can receive music via BT or FM transmitted from the GPS but it also has a stereo MP3 jack on it that works GREAT. Phone audio it too loud at speed if you crank the volume as is the music and comms. It has an AGC (auto gain control) that raises the volume with ambient noise and works great at keeping the volume level as you set it. It all mounts up and disappears so to speak.

How's the venting in the helmet? Does the visor remain in any position at any speed? How many stops does the visor have from open to close? Does the visor close on its own at speed?

Thanks!!

Sounds like a cool helmet! So, does it have just an AC jack for charging or a removable battery pack to charge? Can you replace the batteries yourself if it is just a jack?

How's the venting in the helmet? Does the visor remain in any position at any speed? How many stops does the visor have from open to close? Does the visor close on its own at speed?

Thanks!!

GOOD QUESTIONS!

The A/C adapter plugs directly in to the helmet inside under a flap behind the neck. The battery is removable and replacements can be purchased for about $26. I have not see an external charger for the batteries yet. They say about 4 hours constant use and about 24 hours on stand by. For a long trip it might be a good idea to have two batteries on hand and charge them over night.

Venting is pretty good but not superb. There are not a ton of vents like on higher end systems. Just the chin vent and one at the forhead. I was afraid that it may get very, very hot being a black helmet. I was very comfortable though and I could tell no difference between it and my HJC which has more venting. I was comfortable here in Houston at 100 degrees and 95% humidity. Then again I was born and raised here. I have lovely skin to prove it.

The visor holds tight in all 5 open positions. I honestly did not go over 40 with it in the first or 2nd position. I will try it at a bit higher speed next time. My HJC would fly open when I turned sideways at speed. Not good. Definitely a step up in quality for me.

Excellent! Sounds like a great deal then at that price. I was a bit concerned about battery replacement.

The visor on the Z1R I had was much like your HJC, either flying open or slamming shut. Sometimes, I like to have it open just one click and that thing would slam shut. The Shoei RF-1000 though fixed that problem for me.

Given this great info (Thanks!!) if something should happen to the Scala Q2 sets, perhaps I'll try this helmet out. IF you can find someone with a Scala headset, see if you two can pair them and talk. :tup:

Visor stays upen at every notch at speed. Tried every notch up to 75mph.

I hoestly wish that the volume would go a tad higher on this helmet. Realy my only copmplaint.

Wow, great info! I have been back and forth to Cyclegear and reading as much as I could about the Fastrack helmet. So far everything I've reand and what you have first hand tested is all correct. I think I'm sold now. But as for the the iphone, I'm a Crackberry user and have a 9530 Storm which I use VZ Navigator (GPS) a lot. I am mounting a mount somewhere but was wondering about charging on the go. Did you just use a standart 12v cigarette lighter fro the auto store? Do ya think the charging system will handle a cell on the charger during riding ok?

Thanks

...I am mounting a mount somewhere but was wondering about charging on the go. Did you just use a standart 12v cigarette lighter fro the auto store? Do ya think the charging system will handle a cell on the charger during riding ok?

Thanks

I would suggest you use a weatherproof 12v outlet. As for charging the phone while riding, that wont be a problem at all. A BlackBerry (or any other mobile phone for that matter) draws minimal power while charging.

Agree I went to a local cycle shop and picked up an ATV outlet have not had any issues charging my iPhone while listening to iTunes or SIRIUS Satellite Radio or Talking on the phone

Pic's of my 12v socket installed

Back