PapaGeno21's Build Thread...

Thanks jwhelan65! That is exactly how mine is going to look, except my pan will be Raven.

I got the stickers from jwhelan65 if anyone is interested. PM him, great prices and fantastic service! Oh, and the stickers are phenomenal quality as well.

So today, after dealing with my dogbone incident and tossing the stock one back in.. My package was here!

DSCF6849.jpg

DSCF6848.jpg

DSCF6847.jpg

DSCF6846.jpg

Some true pro pics will be coming when it gets sunny and I can get it down to some nice scenery. Plus it is filthy right now.

The forks are currently dropped 8MM.. But that was with the rear dropped 12MM. So I am going to get used to this, then drop them more..

As something special will be in the mail ;)

So I put about 60 miles on it today with the different setup... LOVE it. Much better than it was, and the stock dog bone seems to have softened up the rear, bumps are more mushy now vs painful... Interesting.

Anyways, now that all my deals are set and the payments have went out, things have started shipping I may as well explain what I have been doing for the last week with all my R1 forks research and whatnot.

So here is what I have coming from a bunch of different people, scored all the parts real cheap minus the brand new parts those were retail prices. Im gonna break it down though anyways.

• 08 R1 Black Forks, Caliper bolts, Pinch bolts, Front Axle, Rotors (Missed out on his calipers, but all this stuff has 3K miles on it) - 390 Shipped
  • 08 R1 front calipers with pads (took a shot on ebay for these, they also came with a rear caliper so I will be selling that. Auction must have been overlooked by people for it to go so cheap) - 61 shipped
  • 09 R1 Master Cylinder and reservoir with 2K miles mint condition - 60 shipped
  • Russell SS front racer brake lines kit, and Goodridge speed bleeders were new from Yamaha Parts free shipping & 20-50% off @ Surdyke Yamaha and KTM. - 72 Shipped
  • FDB Brake lever for 09 R1 - 33 Shipped
  • Motivation USA Fork Sliders for 08 R1 - 71 shipped (Mine will be for sale soon when this is all done)
Got to go to WalMart in search of a mountain bike reflector mount like Johnny used, I would rather spend 5 bucks vs 30 for the graves mount.

So yeah, it does add up but I feel like I got a good deal. I can't wait to install this stuff. Soon enough the Penske 8983 will be coming to make this a complete package.

Change the fork oil before install just a good thing to do. When removing the caps make sure the top of the cap or the wrench is taped up, trust me on this one. I'll go to my local bike shop and see if the have a reflector clamp, they owe me. I hope you like the color on what ever color you purchased. As far as the different feel from the rear shock one word leverage. BTW the feel from the FZ forks to the feel from the R1's is BIG you won't be disappointed.

Found me a reflector clamp at walmart that will work perfectly. Even had the rubber inserts with it for smaller bars.

So after thinking long and hard about this, I am going to use a credit card that has no interest and get myself the Penske 8983. I just cant seem to see myself doing this 08 R1 front end and leaving the stock crap rear shock on there. Will be talking to Lee tomrorow and getting the ball rolling on that. If it can come in time, I hope to do the swap all at once, I figure that will be one hell of a dramatic change. :)

The signatures don't fit what I really want to put in there, so my next post is going to be a post I will edit time and time again with different things I have done etc. You will understand when you see the next post and then look at my sig.

My 2010 Yamaha FZ1 as it currently sits.

Suspension & Braking:
  • 2008 R1 Front Forks & Axle
  • 2009 R1 Front OEM Brembo Radial Master Cylinder
  • 2008 R1 Front Brake Calipers
  • 2010 R1 Front Rotors
  • Russell Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines
  • GoodRidge Speed Bleeders
  • Penske 8983 With Reservoir Bracket and Shock Sock

Current Tires & Oil:
  • Michelin Pilot Power 3 Front
  • Michelin Pilot Power 3 Rear
  • Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40, M1-110 Filter

Performance:
  • PC3 With My Averaged Perfection map
  • Micron Full System with VHT Black on Header
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Lars Airbox Mod
  • Modded Flies
  • BlindSpot's Fuel Line Mod
  • Engine Ice Coolant
  • SpeedoDRD
  • 530 Driven RS7 17/45 Sprockets (Not in pics)
  • 530 DID VX Chain (Not in pics)
  • Driven AIS Blockoff Plates
  • Servo Eliminator

Protection:
  • Motivation USA Fork Sliders
  • T-Rex Frame Sliders
  • Driven Axle Block Sliders

Cosmetics:
  • Puig Touring Windshield
  • Watsen Designs Flush Mount Front Blinkers
  • OEM Belly Pan
  • Gold Rad-Armor Guard
  • Clear Alternatives Smoke Sequential Tail Light
  • Fender Eliminator

Miscellaneous:
  • Dirt Road Seats Front & Rear
  • Ram-Mount Cell Phone Mount
  • Fire Dragon Brothers Levers
  • Oxford Heated Grips with Grip Puppies
  • 12V Marine Grade Cigarette Lighter Socket
  • Fans Toggle Mod
  • Satan666 Highway Pegs
  • Rearset Washer Mod
  • Painted Heel Guards
  • FZ6 Footpeg Rubber Mod

Long Distance Riding
  • Nelson Riggs CL-80 Tank Bag
  • Nelson Riggs CL-950 Deluxe Saddle Bags
  • Shad SH45 Top Case with Gloss Black Color Panel and Backrest
  • Shad Top Case Brackets

Normal Mode: (Pic Taken 7-22-12)
DSCF7521.jpg

Distance Mode:
IMAG0342.jpg

Cell pic taken out in NJ
IMAG0366.jpg

Last edited:
So the Penske 8983 is ordered.

Most likely around 4-5 weeks before I have it, so that gives me time to get all the R1 front end parts sorted out etc, and then I can do this all at one shot.

Back