PapaGeno21's Build Thread...

Well I got it August 30th 2010, and I just rolled over 4200. I figure by the end of this season, I will be in the 15K ballpark. Got a lot of trips planned, and will be doing a LOT of riding this season.

Hopefully Mid June. Wating on the rest of my parts to come in, and to build some money up again and then I will be heading out to see a friend in PA and from there we can meet up and do some riding.

Hopefully tomorrow I can drive this thing. The best I am going to try to do is clean all the bugs off the nose and take some pics of it. Really want to try out these brakes though, this MC has a crazy feel to it. Very linear.

dont even clean it cause it's just gonna rain!! One thing I noticed when I jack the front end up to work on it I always remove my lower cowl just in case.

Looking good PapaG.
Did you leave the front end stock height or did you lower it again?

I put the R1 forks flush with the triple trees.. So that lowers it. The R1 forks are 16mm shorter than stock.

For me that will be too twitchy as I felt the bike was perfect when I had the stock forks raised 8mm up into the triples. So the way I ordered the Penske at full extension it will be stock length, but then I have a half inch to play around with making it shorter. So that will bring the ass end down a little bit so the front drop is not so drastic.

Holy shit. These brakes are fantastic! Not to mention it handles so nuts right now. It is so fast to turn in its scary. I could not be happier. Well, maybe in the event the new pads and rotors actually make it stop any better which I don't see being possible. Its so smooth it does not just feel like you grabbed a hand full of brake every time you touch them!

I am having a hard time explaining in words how I feel, but man. SICK.

Oh, and some pics.

DSCF6884.jpg

DSCF6887.jpg

SS brake lines..

DSCF6895.jpg

DSCF6896.jpg

Now here you can see how I mounted the MC. It was very tight for the brake fluid reservoir with the hose being at such a bend, the hose was kinking and it was forcing the reservoir at a weird angle. Now the reservoir is mounted on a bicycle reflector mount so its not super strong but as long as there is no pressure against it, it should be fine.

So I cut the line, and got a 5/16th 90 degree elbow and wha la. No pressure, works perfect as it is a constant downhill slope to the MC. Just gonna have to get some prettier clamps LOL

DSCF6893.jpg

DSCF6892.jpg

DSCF6891.jpg

Looks F'in awesome Geno and yes the pads a going to be a improvement. I set mine 2.5mm below the triple if you have a micrometer you might like it a little better but I am also up 5mm in the rear.

That looks great! Every time I see this R1 conversion it makes me want to do it also, but I can't justify spending more money on the bike right now. Would look fantastic on a naked street fighter FZ1 as well :sinister:

I put the R1 forks flush with the triple trees.. So that lowers it. The R1 forks are 16mm shorter than stock.

For me that will be too twitchy as I felt the bike was perfect when I had the stock forks raised 8mm up into the triples. So the way I ordered the Penske at full extension it will be stock length, but then I have a half inch to play around with making it shorter. So that will bring the ass end down a little bit so the front drop is not so drastic.

Wow, 16mm is a lot shorter.
I think you might find the Penske shock is still slightly longer than the FZ1 stock shock by a few mm, even at it's lowest setting.
Hopefully it won't be too twitchy for you, it should turn on a dime though.

Wow, 16mm is a lot shorter.
I think you might find the Penske shock is still slightly longer than the FZ1 stock shock by a few mm, even at it's lowest setting.
Hopefully it won't be too twitchy for you, it should turn on a dime though.

Exactly why me and Lee set it up so when I get the shock it is 1/2" shorter than normal. At full extension it will be the same length as the stock shock, however I will be able to adjust the shock to be 12mm shorter than stock. You can order them however you want, so this we felt was best. I was afraid it would be too twitchy, so that is a perfect backup. Now I am currently not sure how I feel, I think I am going to have it just a couple mm's shorter than stock, as it is very twitchy right now but not to the point that its a bad thing, I just don't know if I am fully comfortable with it yet. Stock is 320mm eye to eye, he is sending it to me at 317 eye to eye. I should be able to go from 322 to 310 eye to eye for an adjustment range.

Last edited:
Exactly why me and Lee set it up so when I get the shock it is 1/2" shorter than normal. At full extension it will be the same length as the stock shock, however I will be able to adjust the shock to be 12mm shorter than stock. You can order them however you want, so this we felt was best. I was afraid it would be too twitchy, so that is a perfect backup. Now I am currently not sure how I feel, I think I am going to have it just a couple mm's shorter than stock, as it is very twitchy right now but not to the point that its a bad thing, I just don't know if I am fully comfortable with it yet. Stock is 320mm eye to eye, he is sending it to me at 317 eye to eye. I should be able to go from 322 to 310 eye to eye for an adjustment range.

I guess you wont know for sure until you ride it with the Penske, but you might want to invest in a steering damper at this point. Wont take the "twitchyness" away, but at least it will keep any major head shake in check...

Papa your bike looks really good! everything flows very nicely, great attention to detail, the new cowl looks so much better. The R1 master looks really trick as well. I like the sticky's and the radiator guard..:cheers:

Thanks guys! I can't wait for the rest of the stuff to come in, especially the MC brake lever. I hate stock levers lol

Yeah, I think with the Penske sitting around 317 eye to eye, it should be fine. It will be closer to how it was with the stock forks being 8mm up in the triple trees. There is a ratio of like 2.5:1 for every millimeter the shock is lowered as to what it actually does at the tail. So we figured 3mm shorter than stock will lower the tail around 3/8" which will be perfect to match these forks.

Back