PapaGeno21's Build Thread...

Agree

I'm with you, Papa.... I hated the D221's right out of the gate. After 2-3 instances where they slipped when I know I wasn't pushing it that hard (and the tires were warm), I went ahead and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Road 2's. $350 is a small price to pay for safety and renewed confidence. Being the part of the bike that's keeping you upright on the road, there ain't nothing more important then your tires.

:2cents:

I just don't like them lol. Hot and cold, they have slid around on me. I never had that happen from a quality tire.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more grip, don't get me wrong. If you don't like them, you don't like them!

I'm just saying that it's easy to blame the equipment and that a grippier tire may only mask the deficiencies we all have in our riding. I know that I've had a few moments where the outright grip of the tire saved my lame ass.

I used to ride an FZR400 shod with BT014s and I was always blaming the tires but I eventually I realized that it was my newbie ass. I invested in some trackdays & training and the bike suddenly became better overnight! It was a revelation to see what having better technique could do for what I interpreted as lack grip of the tires--the reality was that they had a ton of grip & way more potential than me, I just didn't know how to access it and would slide around all the time.

Just $0.02!

I don't blame you for wanting more grip, it's only a couple hundred bucks for something way better than the Dunlops anyway but I'd rather spend that $300 on training and use those tires up for practice.

Last edited:
Well, I have had the Q2's sitting here for almost a month now, and my tire changing tools will be here mid next week. Q2's will make their debut next weekend.

I ran the 221's for just over 3K miles, and that is all they will be seeing. I want to get some Sportbike tires mounted onto my Sportbike. ;)

And yes, I may not drive perfect (no one does) but better tires at the cost of mileage is more than fine for me.

So... I mounted the Q2's myself on Monday and Tuesday. Took them for a ride on Thursday. They are AMAZING. I have yet to even push them, and they feel so freaking planted its sweet. I have like a 1" chicken strip on each side still, and they felt more planted at that lean angle, than my D221's felt in a straight line.

Something did feel a bit different about them though, they almost feel softer. Its a weird feeling that I cannot put into words. I think because the compound is much much softer, I dont feel as much of the roads roughness but yet I am still very in touch with what is going on with it. Very nice feeling. They turn nicely, they are very linear vs the Pilot Powers that I had on the Gen1, which just tipped into turns. I was not much of a fan of that, I like how these are a smooth transition into the lean vs just falling into it. More stability at slow slow cornering.

Overall, I love them. Can't wait to see how long they last. If I get decent mileage out of them, I will go with these again.

Oh, and DynaBeads are amazing, totally work.

DSCF6826.jpg

DSCF6828.jpg

You will really like them. I have found they feel great, they are pretty good on wet roads as well. I was hoping to get the gearing installed today but had to prep the Furry Beast for a weekend of woods riding.

The bike looks awesome Geno. Make sure you scuff them in good before "getting on" it. How was it for you with the mounting?

Yeah, they are going to have to be leaned over a lot more to get the rest of that crap off them, but they are still doing great. I have about 40 miles on them now. (Only driven it once). Tomorrow is supposed to be like 69 and cloudy, so I should be riding it again for sure.

The mounting sucked. I did the front tire like a breeze, along with both my Ninja 500's tires. However the rear tire on it was a MAJOR PITA. But I got it done, and all is well. The tools have paid themselves off already. So that's a plus.

Last edited:
That's a great looking bike Geno! It kind of looks like what you would expect Yamaha would sell if they didn't have to meet government regulations. I especially like the silencer

Just ordered my Yamaha Belly pan. This will be the last of the mods for quite some time.

:)

HI PapaGeno21, Good on you, I want a Yamaha belly pan too for my 07 Fazer. The belly pan is an essential body mod for every FZ1. My next mod is the Goodridge "race routed" brake line kit on the US Yamaha FZ1 site.

Johnny, I had the PowerBronze one. It looked like a big pile of shit bolted to my bike. Bought it for 70, sold it for 90.

The OEM Pan will be here Thursday. I got a set of stickers like I had on the other one, the gold Yamaha stickers. They came in yesterday.

I just hit 4030 on the odometer. I am seriously racking up the miles. :)

Serious now though. Next mods wont be for a long time, but they are going to be the Penske 8983 and then 09-10 R1 Front forks, 6 pot calipers and MC, Wave Rotors, and SS brake lines. That will all be done at once though, wont be doing the rear then the front. From there I will do the PC3, Ignition Module, No Flies, Dales Header, Lars airbox, and an aftermarket air filter. That will sum up the bike. ;)

Serious now though. Next mods wont be for a long time, but they are going to be the Penske 8983 and then 09-10 R1 Front forks, 6 pot calipers and MC, Wave Rotors, and SS brake lines. That will all be done at once though, wont be doing the rear then the front. From there I will do the PC3, Ignition Module, No Flies, Dales Header, Lars airbox, and an aftermarket air filter. That will sum up the bike. ;)

You need a bailout :)

Back