Penske 8900E

It would be nice to have that sort of road close to me. We don't have a lot that is close that will let me test the extremes of the bike and track days are a bit expensive. :D Thanks for the update Mike!

Update.

Now that I've got it all sorted out, and the roads are starting to warm up, I've discovered that I'm back to scraping pegs again....just going faster through turns...lol...I thought this might happen so I've got some aluminium squirreled away to make up some rearset offset plates, to gain some more clearance.
to the double clicker on the remote reservoir I think.

Rearsets are a must on the FZ1. I got a cheap adjustable pair off ebay, they do the job well, shift good and look not to bad. I have them setup about 15mm higher & 10 back from standard. Wait to you hit the track you will start grinding your pegs away along with your knee sliders.

Off to the track next friday with a new set of BT003rs on the FZ1. These were ment to be for my ZX6r but the tranny sh*t itself last week so the FZ1 gets them. Can wait this is the first time i have used this tyre on track so will be good to compare it to the Pirelli & Metzeler.

What is the range of height adjustment for this shock vs. stock height, as in how much can it be raised or lowered? At it's fully lowered setting, I guess it has the same trade-offs as a lowering link (reduced ground clearance and suspension travel as well as a need for a shortened/adjustable kickstand)?

What is the range of height adjustment for this shock vs. stock height, as in how much can it be raised or lowered? At it's fully lowered setting, I guess it has the same trade-offs as a lowering link (reduced ground clearance and suspension travel as well as a need for a shortened/adjustable kickstand)?

If memory serves, it is 12mm or half an inch. The biggest issue I can see with any height adjustment is the change of geometry. You need to get the forks and shock adjusted just right or it'll handle like crap.

Suspension travel won't change, but the ground clearance will. Not sure if it'd be enough to require a shorter stand length, but it is possible.

Off to the track next friday with a new set of BT003rs on the FZ1. These were ment to be for my ZX6r but the tranny sh*t itself last week so the FZ1 gets them. Can wait this is the first time i have used this tyre on track so will be good to compare it to the Pirelli & Metzeler.

You'll love 'em:D. Just don't get put off by the squirm. The tire has loads of feel, even when it's squirming, and you can tell just how far you can go.

It's been a few months now, are you still happy with the shock?
I'm after a new rear shock now myself as I'm really starting to explore the bikes potential. On smooth roads it runs fine but some of these back roads suck around here so something a little more suitable is on the cards.
The 8900E looks to be a good replacement but I don't want to be wishing I had bought the 8983 instead??

Last edited:
I've been doing a bit of research. Two suspension gurus, one US based and the other Aussie based suggested to me that emulsion type shocks are not too good in hot conditions and splitting the nitrogen away from the oil is a better, more stable option.
It gets hot as buggery here in Oz in summer. For another $190 it looks like I'll probably get the 8983 instead. Comments?

Have a chat to Sean at SOS Suspension at Penrith. I know its a hike, but he helped me out on a previous bike and result was great and reasonably priced.....plus he is a nice bloke to deal with. Just google "SOS Suspension".

Have a chat to Sean at SOS Suspension at Penrith. I know its a hike, but he helped me out on a previous bike and result was great and reasonably priced.....plus he is a nice bloke to deal with. Just google "SOS Suspension".

Cheers and thanks for that mate. I'll look into them.

Any Penske 8900E owners care to comment?

I have found another option for those that don't want to spend a bomb on a new rear shock.
Nitron, a UK based manufacturer of racing shocks make a Sports Shock.
I just got off the phone from one of their techs.
This shock isn't an emulsion type shock as the gas and oil are kept apart by a seperating piston (mono-tube gas shock)
It is height adjustable and only comes with the single adjustment which adjusts comp and rebound by ratio's.
The internals are the same as their higher spec shocks and they have informed me that they have them fitted into race bikes and race cars.
They recommend servicing every 10,000 miles and the parts can be shipped over to you so you can get a local guy to do the work.
For 295 British pounds + 80 British pounds delivery this shock looks the goods for road based riders that want a better rear shock without spending a fortune.
Here is a pic:

sport_black.jpg

Last edited:
As we're chatted before, I'm very happy with my 8900E. It's a great shock at a very good price.

I did a very fast 575 mile day in 95 degree heat with no issues at all this summer.

MD Racing offers them for $566, and the double for $755, set up for you. You also get a shock dyno chart with it too. They had them on sale for $499 a few months ago.

Lead time is about 10 days or so.

Penske Motorcycle Shocks: triple adjustable, 2-way adjustable, single emulsion

Matt also sells Ohlins and Elka.

I have found another option for those that don't want to spend a bomb on a new rear shock.
Nitron, a UK based manufacturer of racing shocks make a Sports Shock.
I just got off the phone from one of their techs.
This shock isn't an emulsion type shock as the gas and oil are kept apart by a seperating piston (mono-tube gas shock)
It is height adjustable and only comes with the single adjustment which adjusts comp and rebound by ratio's.
The internals are the same as their higher spec shocks and they have informed me that they have them fitted into race bikes and race cars.
They recommend servicing every 10,000 miles and the parts can be shipped over to you so you can get a local guy to do the work.
For 295 British pounds + 80 British pounds delivery this shock looks the goods for road based riders that want a better rear shock without spending a fortune.
Here is a pic:

sport_black.jpg

Very nice! It actually works out to about the same cost as the 8900E after money is converted. It is another option to look into and also keep an eye on ebay for.

........track days are a bit expensive.

Not sure if they do it there but near me you get a free track day when you volunteer for corner work. I am signed up for 3 corner work days this year and plan to do at least 3 track days with my free credits. Iif they do it there it is a great way to find out if you really like it before dishing out the bucks.

I actually like doing the corner work days even though it is means waking up at 4:30 to be at the track ready to work at 6:30. It is non stop entertainment for me all day. Especially when Lvl 3 & Lvl 4 are out there.

Last edited:
Not sure if they do it there but near me you get a free track day when you volunteer for corner work. I am signed up for 3 corner work days this year and plan to do at least 3 track days with my free credits. Iif they do it there it is a great way to find out if you really like it before dishing out the bucks.

I actually like doing the corner work days even though it is means waking up at 4:30 to be at the track ready to work at 6:30. It is non stop entertainment for me all day. Especially when Lvl 3 & Lvl 4 are out there.

With Ride Smart?

Back