Seat Poll...how many still on stock seat?

Eric Lawson

Just curious as to how many of you are still with the stock seat and happy with it? I tried to do some research on Yamaha Gel vs. Sargent vs. Corbin but nothing totally convinced me to stray from stock seat. Ive owned bikes with worse seats than the FZ1 so was just curious how many have ditched it and what your opinions are on the other seats?

So far I am still using stock seat. I get a bit sore after a full day of riding but that is not as frequent as I would like. ...besides, I have ample built in padding ATM.

Sargent seat. Came with the bike so don't know how "bad" the stock seat was. After a couple of hours of riding my butt still needs a rest :)

Yamaha Gel

I bought the Yamaha Gel Seat. Feels "hard as a brick" when you first get on but extends my riding to all day. For me a big improvement. Of course I would love a Top Saddelry seat. I do prefer the look of the stock seat.

Top Sadlerie seat and, like Eric, I love it. Having said that, I agree wholeheartedly with Billy. My knees are my limiting factor as they begin to hurt after a couple hours. If there was a "knee" mod I'd do it though.

I have a Yamaha Gel that I put on after about 9000 miles but it's not much better, in my opinion, than the stocker. The seat is good enough for longer rides but by the time I've got 400 or better under my pants in a single day I'M READY TO TAKE A BREAK. It's been my experience that the flatter the seat the better and one that doesn't push you forward will be better for the long haul. Padding by itself does little to make a more comfortable seat.

Stock seat here too. I have abut 4.5K on the bike. I'm good for 3 hours or so when I first get on for the day. After that I ned a break every hour or hour and a half. For me it's my mid-back that gets achy the most.

Still on the stock seat, which pretty much sucks in my opinion. I previously owned a Kawasaki Mean Streak which had a super comfy stock seat, so it spoiled me.

The Top Saddelry Long seat is on my to buy list, just cant afford it yet.

A little off topic, I added a set of forward pegs made from R1 passenger pegs (The guy who makes them charges around $100 for a set). They are mounted to the lower front of the engine block and fold out of the way when not in use and hardly noticeable. These pegs are awesome, when I'm on the highway I can splay my legs out in front of me like I'm riding a cruiser. This lets you shift your weight to relieve hot sopts in the rear end as well as letting the bood flow in your legs. Another nice benefit is the air can flow around your legs since they can be splayed out away from the gas tank. Here is a few pics of the pegs.

Still got the stock seat fitted and have no problem with it at all despite being told that I would not find it comfortable after my previous gen1 armchair seating:wazzup:

I am not familiar with the Top Sadderly seat but i will do some research. I have yet to do an all day ride, most i have been on bike in one day is about 250 miles, with lots of breaks. I would love some of those highway pegs! Ive been wondering if anyone offered any ideas that would work on an FZ1 or had fabricated some...Nice!

Back