Should I buy a 2002 FZ1?

G-man

New here, 1st post
Bio:
From SUNNY AZ.

Been riding 45 years (52) mostly motocross and offroad.

Had two streetbikes I luved--1980 Kaw KZ750 and 1987 Hurricane 600.

Haven't had a streetbike since I lost the 'Cane two other bikes, car and a buncha packrat crap in a tragic fire in 2003.

Current Toylist:

CRF450
KTM520 EXC
XR100
Seadoo GSX Limited
Seadoo GTX Limited

Anyway I miss taking my g/f for rides up to the lakes and heading up into the mountains. Believe it or not the Hurricane (a few mods) seemed more than enough to satisfy the fun factor as I don't like to do freeways so the 600 was ok.

Matter of fact the FZ6 has been on my list.

Well a friend of a friend has a 2002 FZ1 that seems pretty clean with low miles and bone stock.

Been reading some reviews and everyone seems to luv theirs. Then I come to find out they revised them quite a bit in 06.

Questions:

1) Does the new frame and other revised stuff matter that much? I imagine an 06 would cost more than I want to fork oiut right now.

2) Is it comfortable for the passenger?

3) Baggage ideas for longer trips with passenger

4) Reliability

5) Simple mods? I saw a youtube video with a squid riding with a S&S slipon and the bike sounded nice even though I could barely watch as I thought he was gonna wad up..... lol :smoking:

6) What kind of bike cover that will not melt with the GIANT can?

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:
$3500 with 13,000 miles silver very clean

Hasn't been listed yet

There is also a 2003 with 20,000 miles with the yellow/black paint screen, Yosh exhaust extra seat with backrest and it looks like a lower fairing?

Said it was dropped once at the Harley dealer (where he bought it used) and has slight cosmetic damage.
Won't budge on $3500 and it's about 4 hrs away.

Thanks

For 3500.00 its a good deal. I have seen higher milage ones go for more.If you know the previous owner and know it was taken care of its got at least 87,000 more mile in her. The Gen I is a little more comfy the GenII more sporty they both go like hell and are more capable than most riders for street use.

I bought my 02fz1 bone stock for 3200 and have loved it! Had it a month now, started with 4300 mikes now have over 7k. Did the simple mods including ivans method and it's a really smooth bike. Have yet to carry passenger, but the factory seat is very comfy for me. Seems to be a very solid bike, i push it pretty hard :evil

I've only ridden a Gen 2 briefly on a demo ride but I owned a Gen 1 for 5 months and put 7000 miles on it.

If I was to sum the FZ1 up, I would do it this way:

Gen 1: Sport touring
Gen 2: Sport touring

Pick your poison

Welcome G, I am a GenI owner, a sweet 01', and the first generation bikes, 01' to 05' would definitely be much more comfy for a passenger than the GenII's. GenI's are carbbed while GenII's are fuel injected. I'm not sure how MC prices are out by you but I paid just about that here on the east coast for my "mint" 01' with 11,000 miles on it, 3 years ago. Also, with only 13,000 miles on the clock, the bike is averaging only 1,400 miles a year so you want to make sure that the present owner has taken steps to keep the carbs clean as they will easily "gum up" if left sitting the a long period without Seafoam or some other fuel treatment. I myself would be tempted with the 03" Bumble Bee as that is probably the sweetest paint scheme that they ever put on the FZ1. Not to mention that you could probably remove the "lowers" and sell them easily for $350 to $400 bucks as they are a hot comodity these days and hard to get cheap. That would get you back some of the purchase price of the bike and or give you some dough for some mods!:sinister:

Good luck with whichever one you choose. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I'd get the "Bee", but I'm partial to that model. Plus, you'd have to look at maintenance, upkeep, physical condition, etc. first before you decide on one or the other. Keep us posted!

$3500 with 13,000 miles silver very clean

Hasn't been listed yet

There is also a 2003 with 20,000 miles with the yellow/black paint screen, Yosh exhaust extra seat with backrest and it looks like a lower fairing?

Said it was dropped once at the Harley dealer (where he bought it used) and has slight cosmetic damage.
Won't budge on $3500 and it's about 4 hrs away.

Thanks
IMHO --- $3500 is NO deal. If it's stock --- no more than $2600. For $3500 you should get one all modded up with suspension and everything. Mileage doesn't matter --- the engine is bone solid.

I've only ridden a Gen 2 briefly on a demo ride but I owned a Gen 1 for 5 months and put 7000 miles on it.

If I was to sum the FZ1 up, I would do it this way:

Gen 1: Sport touring
Gen 2: Sport touring

Pick your poison

You really should have ridden the Gen I longer and you might have learned something about it. :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Now I’m even more confused---on what to do! lol

Yes I like the bumble bee paint scheme too but here are the pros vs cons.

1) One yr newer 2003)
2) Yosh slip-on
3) Lower fairing
4) Extra seat with backrest, (the g/f would like that)

Cons

1) 8000 miles more
2) Cosmetic damage (dropped) Upper fairing slightly cracked by headlight (he said he would knock off $180, price of a new one), Lower fairing scratched. He said he would send me pictures.
3) 4 hrs away

I checked on the 2002, silver one and it too has some slight scratches on the tank from a key he said. (He said he would send me pics).
It’s about an hr away and at a pawn shop transferred over to his name (clean title).

Thanks for the info—keep em coming!

Welcome G-man. I am a Gen 1 owner myself, also have a 2003 SeaDoo GTX Limited! What a great machine.

Anyway, The word on the streets is the Gen 1 is generally more comfortable. I have not ridden a 2, but had the opportunity to sit on two of them side by side at a dealer, and they seemed totally different. That having been said, bet a comfy seat and suspension, and set it up to please you. The one thing that I HAVE heard and found while riding with Gen 2 riders, ais you will stop for gas more often. I get minimum 160 miles to a tank, have appr. 5 gallon capacity, and usually put 4 gallons in at 160 miles. Gen 2's are looking for a gas station at 120 miles. If distance between gas stations is an issue, do the Gen 1. I also hear the Gen 2's are a little sportier, but again, a lot of thats in the set up. My Gen 1 is fast and agile enough for me! Good luck with your purchase.

Oh, btw, I am around 43,000 on the odometer right now on my '04.

IMHO --- $3500 is NO deal. If it's stock --- no more than $2600. For $3500 you should get one all modded up with suspension and everything. Mileage doesn't matter --- the engine is bone solid.

CrazyJoe...not ditchen on you, but I don't know where you guys get your prices. I still can't touch a stock 1st Gen for under 3k with low miles down south.
Right now on CLsouth florida '05 stock 8kmiles....asking $5500
'03 w.a yosh...16kmiles...asking $4000.
'01...slip-on...60Kmiles....asking 2900

I bought my '02 off EBay sight unseen (except for the pics) with 7500 miles for $2200 shipped exactly 1 1/2 years ago...some bumps and bruises...went down in his driveway.....replaced the fairing, left mirror, clutch lever, kickstand and shift lever....still cost me under 2500 after I replaced everything .
Also, some people like to start from stock and mod their own like i'm doing...I'm always very wary of a bike thats moded to the gills unless the rider is a 75 year old grandma...the more crap I put on my bike the harder I ride....I wish I left the VMax stock, because I run the piss outa that too.;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

Now I’m even more confused---on what to do! lol

Thanks for the info—keep em coming!

G-Man....I also have the 2002 Super Fast Liquid Silver, the corbin seat with the backrest is definately an asset with the wife...but a bit costly....for your purpose, the Gen 1 is the way to go.

Good Luck

Welcome G-man. I am a Gen 1 owner myself, also have a 2003 SeaDoo GTX Limited! What a great machine.

Anyway, The word on the streets is the Gen 1 is generally more comfortable. I have not ridden a 2, but had the opportunity to sit on two of them side by side at a dealer, and they seemed totally different. That having been said, bet a comfy seat and suspension, and set it up to please you. The one thing that I HAVE heard and found while riding with Gen 2 riders, ais you will stop for gas more often. I get minimum 160 miles to a tank, have appr. 5 gallon capacity, and usually put 4 gallons in at 160 miles. Gen 2's are looking for a gas station at 120 miles. If distance between gas stations is an issue, do the Gen 1. I also hear the Gen 2's are a little sportier, but again, a lot of thats in the set up. My Gen 1 is fast and agile enough for me! Good luck with your purchase.

Oh, btw, I am around 43,000 on the odometer right now on my '04.

Thanks for the info Pepe and yea the GTXL is fun, the GSXL even more so!

Well it looks like I'm gonna check out the 02, the guy sent me some pics and it has some scratches up around the gas cap, unreal how people care for their stuff. I'll havta get it painted eventually. Its at a pawn shop and the guy says it was owned by a 82 yr old! LOL So that should be interesting.

The 03 guy sent some pics to of his "slight scratches".

Sheesh much more than slight, the upper fairing is toast--cracked, the lower fairing scratched bad too and the Yosh slip-on has a NASTY dent. So obviously it was more than a tip-over. :cuss:

It's too bad too as the bike looked nice.

Anyway that's all for now, hopefully by the w/e I'll be an official owner and join the FZ1 Club. And to think this all started when I was looking for another dirt bike!!

Thanks guys!

Fair enough, but I couldn't bold the word 'discomfort' in my example ;)

So --- you thought the GenI was uncomfortable? If so --- that is kind of a personal thing. I know guys that think sitting on your tailbone on a cruiser is uncomfortable but I can do that easier all day than riding the FZ1.

So --- you thought the GenI was uncomfortable? If so --- that is kind of a personal thing. I know guys that think sitting on your tailbone on a cruiser is uncomfortable but I can do that easier all day than riding the FZ1.

I believe what we have here is a failure to communicate :D

Let's just both agree that the Gen 1 is where it's at ;)

Back