Should I buy a 2002 FZ1?

Done deal!

Ok I pulled the trigger and brought her home last night. Need to run to the shop and look at helmets, my old street bike helmet has the foam coming apart inside....

I'll give a review later with pics, but I'm pretty sure I got a good deal for $3100.

Two thing I noticed on my ride back on 45 miles of fwy.
1) Like others said you can really feel the engine heat, I always wondered about that with nakid bikes and it's true. My Hurricane wasn't like that. I imagine the lwr fairing wouldn't help much, it doesn't have one?

2) An old MX injury that turned into tendonitis (tennis elbow) in my right arm really flared up and my hand went numb.... This really sux, will look into acupunture or something but I won't be able to ride long periods of time if it doesn't go away. Riding dirtbikes it doesn't bother due to different handlebar rider position. Worse case senario I will have to sell the bike, something I don't want to do....

3) Haven't taken it on twisties yet, will later up to the lake but this bike reminds me of the cane on steroids with the riding position, handlebars.
I really like this bikC--it seems perfect if I can fix the elbow deal.

Thanks,

G

A good majority of members here have changed or modified the bars/riding position.
I have the Pro Taper Countor Fatbars (Carmichael) bend with Easton 8 bolt risers...1 inch up and back.......I have short arms.
More of a moto-x/motard stance......I'll go as high as the cables let me.

A good majority of members here have changed or modified the bars/riding position.
I have the Pro Taper Countor Fatbars (Carmichael) bend with Easton 8 bolt risers...1 inch up and back.......I have short arms.
More of a moto-x/motard stance......I'll go as high as the cables let me.

Thanks for tip, I'll be looking into it about how much was the mod?

I've also noticed there seems to be a buzzing vibration thru the bars and the previous owner put on thick/soft oury grips to compensate. They are ugly as hell and I was going to replace but smaller harder grips might make it worse?

Has anyone put bar weights in the end to help with this?

Thanks

Was looking to buy a 125 dirtbike and ended up with>>>

Was looking to buy a 125 and ended up with>>>
A guy who ended up being a flake. The usual Craig List bs, don’t return calls, giving different stories about the bike and the worst—no title. So I kept persuing the site and next thing I know I’m looking at street bikes and realizing how much I missed my ol 87 Hurricane that I lost in a garage fire (rest her soul)…..

Well the more I thought about it--do I really need a 4th dirtbike?

Well this is what I ended up with—a 2002 FZ1 with 12,800 miles that I bought at a pawn shop of all places! lol

The bike seems in good shape mechanically, has some scratches on the tank and on the upper fairing that will need to get fixed. If anyone can recommend someone I’m open for ideas.

Yam2002%20FZ1d.jpg

Yam2002%20FZ1.jpg

Yam2002%20FZ1b.jpg

Yam2002%20FZ1e.jpg

Yam2002%20FZ1n.jpg

Went to grab my old Kenny Roberts helmet that is 23 yrs old and soon realized the black liner was now dry rotting apart.

Yam2002%20FZ1_helmet.jpg

So I had to resort to moto gear.

Yam2002%20FZ1g.jpg

I am now looking at street bike helmets. Sheesh they are expensive! Any suggestions?

The pawn shop guy had one of those Nolan Flip-up helmets, I always thought they were kinda cheezy but upon closer inspection they are pretty neat and made in Italy.

The Arai I was looking at is the Vantage over 500 bones!

You can find a decent quality, Snell approved helmet for under $250 these days. Find out your head shape and size and check some of the local dealers.

HJC, KBC, Scorpion, Icon... there are lots of great brands with good helmets for not a lot of money.

Hell, you can get a Scorpion EXO400 for under $100 sometimes

Scratchin my head on the shifter. Could you provide a close up of the left foot control?

The red and shift rod look different from stock setup.

Either way, the handlebars can have weight at it to them to make the vibrations disappear. So hopefully, you can find a solution to your vibration problem.

Good luck!

Scratchin my head on the shifter. Could you provide a close up of the left foot control?

The red and shift rod look different from stock setup.

Either way, the handlebars can have weight at it to them to make the vibrations disappear. So hopefully, you can find a solution to your vibration problem.

Good luck!

I see that too. It doesn't appear to be part of the shift linkage, but something else bolted to the heel pad. Strange????

scorpion is a good intro line that'll give you decent quality to get over the money spent for bike purchase. If you are and XL, I have an Exo400 that has blue mirror visor, maybe clear, for 50.00 plus shipping (if you are interested)

Thanks guys!

I polished up the bike today, will service the oil, need to get her smogged and title transfer.

Yea I spent Saturday at three different bike shops trying on different helmets so I will be making a choice soon.

Brohay, the guy installed some funky grips and it looks like the bar ends are removed. I guess those are the OEM weights? That could be part of my problem. My question is should I get the OEM ones or is there an aftermarket one that is better?

I'll let you know about the helmet, can you post a pic or e-mail?

Thanks,
G

I ended up going with this at a closeout price:

vem_10_hel_vsrev_ful_fac_slv.jpg

And this cover:

mot_10_mot_tre_mot_cov_blk.jpg

Anybody have any advise on a nice expandable magnetic tank bag?

And side luggage with a tail bag?

Was thinking of getting some soft luggage side bags, wondering if they mess up the paint?

Thanks

Which ones do you have and can a passenger ride with them mounted?

a)
h_rm_black.jpg

b)
h_ra_black.jpg

Can a passenger ride with this tailbsg mounted?

h_r1_black.jpg

Thanks

I have A and you will lose your ability to carry a passenger. You would need a hard case style with frame work to be able to tote a passenger around heres a couple of pictures of mine with the bags.
DealsGap2010.jpg

IMG_9573.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Sorry for the bike being so stock the bags were my first modification.

I got a 2007

with 12K miles and 4 months left of free warranty work for $4,000....If you're still thinking of getting the 02' i'd consider sprining a few extra hundred for a GenII.

Choppastyle

Back