Springtime Makeover Thread

Yea, even though the fluid drops there is still some air in there believe it or not. I had to bleed the master cylinder on both of my bikes when I replaced the brake lines. Should only take 2-3 tries to get all the air out. This is sort of like "bench bleeding" a new automobile master cylinder.

I got ya pal, thanks very much. I'll update you on Wednesday. If it don't work, I'll have to wait until you can come over to give me a hand. Sandwiches from the Bodega are on me!!!

Okay! No more decals, I promise! Richie helped me with the heat gun on "low" to make the bend on the shield. I've had it a week but just got around to putting it on this evening. I'll have to get one more for my dark shield.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

After you have the brake system buttoned up be sure to tie the brake lever in the applied position overnight. A zip tie works great for that. Any remaining air should work its way up to the master cylinder that way. I have heard that once tied you should gently tap the lines starting at the bolts at the calipers to help shift any air bubbles. I didn't do that but I did leave my lever tied up overnight.

Looks great Billy! Cannot go wrong with red and black mixed! :D I hope you get it sorted but Tony is spot-on, as usual! :tup:

Regarding the horns... check clearance between the bottoms of the horns and the top of the fender. You recall me mounting mine in this manner on the Gen II but with my forks raised in the triple 10mm, the fender was tapping the bottoms of the horns on a good-sized bump or hard braking. I've put my forks back to stock at this point but have not been able to test the clearance with ride yet. :( With Michele's bike being dropped as much as I had to, I already know I need to figure out something else for her horns to be mounted. There is NO WAY that she will clear them. To the drawing board!

Looks great Billy! Cannot go wrong with red and black mixed! :D I hope you get it sorted but Tony is spot-on, as usual! :tup:

Regarding the horns... check clearance between the bottoms of the horns and the top of the fender. You recall me mounting mine in this manner on the Gen II but with my forks raised in the triple 10mm, the fender was tapping the bottoms of the horns on a good-sized bump or hard braking. I've put my forks back to stock at this point but have not been able to test the clearance with ride yet. :( With Michele's bike being dropped as much as I had to, I already know I need to figure out something else for her horns to be mounted. There is NO WAY that she will clear them. To the drawing board!

Most definitely. I have about 4-1/2" of clearance between the horns and the top of the fender which is too close for me. I am going to shorten the brackets on both and also make an offset on each. I also don't want to see them hanging below the upper fairing when I'm looking at the bike from the front. I still have time to fab something up. My tank emblems are coming here Tuesday which means the guy can get started on the tank. I figure I'd have two weeks to nail everything down in preparation for my first ride. I am actually going to clean every nook and cranny I can reach and some I can't reach. I started on the front end today and will get more done Wednesday.

As for the brakes, thats why Tony is invaluable here on the board!

Let me know how you make out with the horns. I was going to try and shorten the brackets... well, as I mentioned in the other thread, bending the stock horn brackets resulted in the horns not working properly so I had to bend them back until the horns were able to screech again. The problem with me mounting them higher at this point is that they will hit the fairing stay on a lock-to-lock turn. I think I am safe on my bike but her bike is going to be a genuine challenge. I'm looking at a possible way to mount them, one each, under the inner fairings. Still not a lot of room under there! My other option with her bike is, because she is going to fully-faired, I might be able to get them mounted somewhere under the fairing, likely by the mounts at the radiator... let's hope!!

Let me know how you make out with the horns. I was going to try and shorten the brackets... well, as I mentioned in the other thread, bending the stock horn brackets resulted in the horns not working properly so I had to bend them back until the horns were able to screech again. The problem with me mounting them higher at this point is that they will hit the fairing stay on a lock-to-lock turn. I think I am safe on my bike but her bike is going to be a genuine challenge. I'm looking at a possible way to mount them, one each, under the inner fairings. Still not a lot of room under there! My other option with her bike is, because she is going to fully-faired, I might be able to get them mounted somewhere under the fairing, likely by the mounts at the radiator... let's hope!!

I may just cut down the bracket thats on there now about an inch, drill a couple of 1/8" holes, and then fab up an offset bracket to which I'll rivet the horns to. This way I'm not bending anything on the actual horns.

I had brought the rear wheel upstairs yesterday to remove the valve stem so that any moisture from the lube used in mounting would dry up, in order to install the Dynabeads this evening. It actually went fine and all 2ozs. went in with no problem. Once you get the hang of it that is. At first I was dropping them in too fast and it wound up clogging up in the stem. I then started just tipping the bottle over slightly while tapping on the line and it just flowed like butter. The front will only be taking 1oz. but I won't be able to bring that up until I get the bleeding done on Wednesday.

I staged this photo just to show the procedure as you can tell that the valve stem is in place.
IMG_0615.jpg

And here it is all done. Tomorrow I'll bring up my "tankless" compressor to fill it up so that there is less chance of moisture entering the wheel. I did roll the wheel a few revolutions and you can clearly hear the beads rolling back and forth.
IMG_0613.jpg

More to come!

This will likely be the route I take when I mount my new tires this summer. :D Thanks Billy! I've heard a lot of good things about those beads and they are 100% re-usable. :tup:

The FedEx Driver showed up at work bringing goodies to me today! So thats everything except for a couple of decals coming from Hong Kong and Thailand. Those are not important at this time. At least my "Yamaha" tank decals came so my friend can drop them off at the painter on his way home from work today. So all my liquids are here as well as my fork parts. I'm good to go now with the makeover.
IMG_0618.jpg

Big Day Today In The Garage!

Okay! I spent the entire day in the garage today getting some stuff done on the bike. My main goals were to get the front brakes bled correctly, get the horns mounted, and finish by cleaning up the rear end. Well I'm happy to say that I completed all three and have a bunch of pics and videos for you guys!

As Tony said, there was air in the master cylinder and after cracking the banjo bolts and applying the brake, I started to build pressure. I made sure to cover everything well first as to not allow any fluid to spill on parts.
IMG_0623.jpg

I then went back to the calipers and sure enough I was able to start getting a firm lever. After bleeding the calipers two more times, I was satisfied with a now "rock hard" brake lever! Thanks Tony!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nSNC2fDRAw]YouTube - Brake Bleed Complete[/ame]

After the front brakes were done I switched my attention to the PIAA Horns. I needed to be able to lift the horns up a bit and also bring them forward as well for clearance. I removed the horn bracket with a 14mm box wrench after marking it for two bends. I didn't want to start bending things with the bracket attached so as not to break anything. I made the two bends on the first bracket giving it a 5/8" lift and a 5/8" offset.
IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

Once that was done I attached the bracket back on the horn. I tested the horn and it sounded great! It made a huge difference as you can see in the next picture. On the right is the way it was and on the left is after the modification.
IMG_0636.jpg

As you can see in this next shot, the horn now has clearance from both the fork guard and the front fender.
IMG_0646.jpg

This is what it looks like with the instrument bracket and headlight assembly in place. There was plenty of room "lock to lock"
IMG_0638.jpg

I removed the bracket and headlights and started on the other side. It was done pretty quickly. Here is a shot of the offset and then another with the way they look now.
IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Here is a video of the install and some infor pertaining to Eric's experience with the horns when he was fabbing them up.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-NYT-nYmX4]YouTube - PIAA Horn Fab[/ame]

I will still have to use some mounting hardware from work to make it look more professional. I brought it home but had left it upstairs. I'll get to it on Saturday.

When I finished the horns I tidied up the brake lines.
IMG_0648.jpg

Next on the agenda and last for today was to clean up this:
IMG_0624.jpg

And This:
IMG_0625.jpg

And this disgusting mess:
IMG_0626.jpg

I spread some 1mil poly on the floor under the rear of the bike, grabbed my bottle of kerosene, my rags,my Honda spray cleaner and polish, and got to work. My goal is to have the bike look as clean as possible without actually breaking it down totally. I laid down and got into every nook and cranny I could reach with the kerosene. I removed the rear caliper mount and was able to clean it spotless with the exception of worn spots. I did the entire undertail section and lower shock mount, dog bone mounts, centerstand, whatever I could reach on the shock, etc.

Here are the "After" pics:

IMG_0651.jpg

The inside of the swingarm actually has a mirror finish after using the Honda Polish.
IMG_0653.jpg

The lower shock mount:
IMG_0655.jpg

Find some dirt....I dare ya!
IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

I am super happy with today's progress and while I was typing this I got a call from my friend who told me that the painter now has the tank emblems and can start work. I hope to see it real soon.

Saturday will be "Rear Brake Line" day and hope to have the wheels back on the bike. I will also be removing the fork legs and doing a full video "how to" to post here on the site. Stay tuned as the end is in sight!

P.S. Thanks to Tony, Eric, and everyone else who has given me such great tips!

That is awesome Billy! Thanks for taking the horns a step beyond and for a fantastic video! I'll have to do this with her bike because of severe clearance issues with it lowered. I think I will mark the horn adjustment with a scribe so that I can be sure it is spot-on when I put it back together. Thanks for being the test subject on adjustment of the horn's sound! :D

You did an excellent job cleaning up the rear of the bike. She's going to look showroom once it is done. SWEET!

That is awesome Billy! Thanks for taking the horns a step beyond and for a fantastic video! I'll have to do this with her bike because of severe clearance issues with it lowered. I think I will mark the horn adjustment with a scribe so that I can be sure it is spot-on when I put it back together. Thanks for being the test subject on adjustment of the horn's sound! :D

You did an excellent job cleaning up the rear of the bike. She's going to look showroom once it is done. SWEET!

I unfortunately only had two hands today but it's easy if you use the box wrench to break the nut loose while someone else holds the screwdriver in place to make sure that it stays inline with your markings. Same deal when you putting them back together.

Daaaaaaaang Billy... you've been busy.... looking excellent man!! she's gorgeous..

I'm going to spend some time with my bike this weekend.... hopefully get it ready to go... it might be a wet, cold ride back to Boone... but it'll be wort it..

Daaaaaaaang Billy... you've been busy.... looking excellent man!! she's gorgeous..

I'm going to spend some time with my bike this weekend.... hopefully get it ready to go... it might be a wet, cold ride back to Boone... but it'll be wort it..

Thanks Aaron. What are the temps like down there this time of year? It will be nice to see you back on two wheels again!

We've been in the 40's lately... but there hasn't been any snow for like... 3 weeks now... so.. we'll call that Spring..... i'll still have to have the quilted liner top and bottom in the Teknic suit for the ride back down.... but... I NEED the bike back down here...

---mobile

I have the front wheel upstairs with the valve stem out getting ready for the Dynabead installation this evening. I'll do a quick video of the process.

Man you're going to be ready to ride in no time. I have to wait for a warm day that I'm free so I can straighten out the wiring on my bike. I want to solder and shrink wrap everything this time around so it will take me some time. Right now my rear turn signals and tail light are non-functional :(

Back