Springtime Makeover Thread

Man you're going to be ready to ride in no time. I have to wait for a warm day that I'm free so I can straighten out the wiring on my bike. I want to solder and shrink wrap everything this time around so it will take me some time. Right now my rear turn signals and tail light are non-functional :(

The guy actually called today from the paint shop to ask if I wanted to save the Progrip Tank Protector. I told him to toss it. I'll get a new one with some red in it. I have plenty of "shrink wrap" if you need any Tony. I haven't heard from Partshark yet with any tracking. Once they email me I'll text you.

How long did it take to get the badges in Billy? If I cannot lift her's off clean, I'd better order them now! Did you have to buy them because the others wouldn't come off? I'm going to attempt a hair dryer with a putty knife in slo-mo. :D

Did you wire up both horns? If so, or when you do, get a little clip of those going off together. :tup: Last, you'll still have to worry about the lip of the underside of the fairing for a rub. On the Gen II anyway, it is quite a ways back from the bottom of the headlight buckets and if I had too much bend on the horn brackets, it would rub on the fairing. :(

Keep the posts, pics and vids coming!!! Thanks man!!

How long did it take to get the badges in Billy? If I cannot lift her's off clean, I'd better order them now! Did you have to buy them because the others wouldn't come off? I'm going to attempt a hair dryer with a putty knife in slo-mo. :D

Did you wire up both horns? If so, or when you do, get a little clip of those going off together. :tup: Last, you'll still have to worry about the lip of the underside of the fairing for a rub. On the Gen II anyway, it is quite a ways back from the bottom of the headlight buckets and if I had too much bend on the horn brackets, it would rub on the fairing. :(

Keep the posts, pics and vids coming!!! Thanks man!!

The badges took a while cause the tank emblem came from Japan and was on the same order. If you remember I got the new upper fairing which I had sent to paint so there were no decals on it. The hair drier works like a charm. Just don't get them too hot as they will just break apart everytime you touch them. I haven't wired up the horns yet but will definitely do short vid for you. I'll definitely check for clearance on Saturday before locking everything down.

You know that I have a set of 07' Fairing Decals for the "blue" bike on sale in the classifieds here in case you need that color. It's a blue background, with Silver lettering, and a black line running through the lettering.

You know that I have a set of 07' Fairing Decals for the "blue" bike on sale in the classifieds here in case you need that color. It's a blue background, with Silver lettering, and a black line running through the lettering.

I did see those and gave it some serious thought. But they don't fit with the Copperdog pods installed and, I hope to pull my bike apart next winter and get it painted and it will not be blue. I'm going for the super bee look with a few twists. It will match my textile jacket so I'll only have to replace my mesh jacket (and helmet?)

And thanks for the emblem tips! :D I'll work those off tonight if I can. I'm bringing all the parts into the basement tonight to hang up on the rafters and get them sanded down one at a time. This shouldn't take too long at all!

Dyna Bead Install

With Richie in charge of the lighting (cheap LED flashlight), and me doing the "one armed" camera mount, we got the front wheel done upstairs today after having it sit for a day with the valve stem removed. It went a lot easier on this wheel. Once you get the knack, its pretty easy. I wished now that I would have started with the front wheel first since the rear has two ounces to insert. It went rather quickly and tomorrow evening I'll fill it with air.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGPfxgamoMA]YouTube - Dyna Beads Install[/ame]

I came up with a great idea sitting at work today. I don't know about anyone here but have you ever had your brake calipers off the wheel for whatever reason and you or someone else inadvertantly squeezed the brake lever? So I'm sitting at work today and it came to me. I got two 4" pieces of 1-5/8" Lattice and shaped the ends round and rounded over one leading edge to wind up with a makeshift "wedge". The thickness was sanded down to about the same thickness as my rotor. Once the caliper is removed from the fork I slip this wedge in between the brake pads nice and snug and I no longer have to worry about mistakenly hitting the brake. Not to mention that now I should be able to bleed the brakes with the caliper unattached to the fork. Here's some shots of the wedge in action tonight......
IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

I came up with a great idea sitting at work today. I don't know about anyone here but have you ever had your brake calipers off the wheel for whatever reason and you or someone else inadvertantly squeezed the brake lever? So I'm sitting at work today and it came to me. I got two 4" pieces of 1-5/8" Lattice and shaped the ends round and rounded over one leading edge to wind up with a makeshift "wedge". The thickness was sanded down to about the same thickness as my rotor. Once the caliper is removed from the fork I slip this wedge in between the brake pads nice and snug and I no longer have to worry about mistakenly hitting the brake. Not to mention that now I should be able to bleed the brakes with the caliper unattached to the fork. Here's some shots of the wedge in action tonight......
IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Nice discovery.

Now that is thinking outside the box! What a GREAT idea! Thanks Billy! I think you can take it one step further... drill a hole in each end then use a mini bungie cord to insure it doesn't slip out and then someone grabs the lever. :D Nice!!!

Now that is thinking outside the box! What a GREAT idea! Thanks Billy! I think you can take it one step further... drill a hole in each end then use a mini bungie cord to insure it doesn't slip out and then someone grabs the lever. :D Nice!!!

I may run with this one Eric. I haven't seen it out there. You know that sometimes simple things turn into popular things. Thanks for the bungee idea. I was thinking to make a hole to be able to extract them from the caliper but the idea to hold it in place is great. I'm gonna work on it buddy, thanks!

I did just that when removing my rear, so I'll probably have to adjust a bit when I get things back together.

I've got little plastic inserts that I use all the time on my mountain bike -- do not know why I did make the connection here -- probably because I don't have everything off the FZ on a regular basis.....implementing you find as well.

......I think I did see a spec of dirt.....but it must of been from the camera :poke:

I decided that while tomorrow I'll be spending most of the day in the garage, I had better get some small things done upstairs. I decided to not use the connectors for the "Halo Lights" just because I don't want it to be a weak point in the connection that has a chance of getting dirty. I cut them off one at a time and soldered the leads together and heat shrinked some tubing on the lines to make a nice connection.

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

I just love my H.F. Heat Gun for jobs like these. It makes quick work of the shrink tubing for a real tight connection.
IMG_0672.jpg

I lengthened the power leads and also went up a couple of gauges in the leads since this will be tapped into the headlight circuit.
IMG_0673.jpg

Again, I made fast work of the shrink tubing to finish up the job.
IMG_0674.jpg

Lastly, I have decided to in fact use a switch for the Halo's instead of an "always on" connection. I got this nifty little rocker from work today which I will mount tomorrow evening flush in the fairing insert.

IMG_0676.jpg

Thats all for this evening. Tomorrow my son Richie will be turning 17 years of age, so I'll try to get some more pics and videos on the thread. He will be helping me on Sunday to do the big FZ1 Fork Breakdown Video to post here. This time it will be start to finish and I'm happy to find out that I am now able to post videos over 10 minutes on YouTube! So there will probably be two parts to this one. I will try to do things slow and methodical so others can tackle this themselves. Wish me luck!

That will be here soon enough! I'll start looking into a PA/Dutch ride buddy. I will trailer the bike to your house and we could ride out from there. How does that sound? I really want to see some Amish Girls! I am single you know! Hahahaha!!

Sounds good. But as far as the Girls?

Great job with the wiring Billy. Did you do any pics/video of the halo install? I'd like to see how that all came apart and went back together. :D

Happy Birthday to Richie! Tell him "Congrats for another successful trip around the Sun!" :tup:

Good luck on the build today. I know it's not needed because I don't know anyone who has changed fork seals more than you have! ;) Tell us again why new ones are going in so soon?

Thanks for more great pics and vids!!

Back