Springtime Makeover Thread

I guess I'd have to see it in person Billy but from the pics, it looks pretty darned good to me!!! Almost there!!!!!!!! :tup:

Yeah, I know buddy. Maybe it's just me being finicky. I'll shoot some pics outdoors tomorrow once she's running so you can see better. I also need a new gas cap. I'm going with the SSR Push Button model in black. I cracked the rim around the stock one with too much pressure on the wrong size screw. Shame on me! I'll be ordering it tomorrow. The rim of the stock cap is crappy "pot metal" and weak as heck. It is sealed tight but cracked none the less.

So it looks like tomorrow will be the big day over here. I'm dropping Richie off at Lacrosse practice and coming back to install the old uppers and change out the coolant. Once thats done I'll install the lowers and start her up!

This is the cap I'll be going with. It's a one piece billet aluminum unit with stainless hardware and should go nicely with the black tank.

B5QTMowWkKGrHqRiIEydhqW2UNBMs5C0jkw_12.jpg

I got hit, in my Ford Edge, in a parking lot and took it to a shop to get it fixed. Upon receipt, it look ok head on, but I took one look in the review mirror and it was on.

Had it back in to repair, and even though all of the ridges/valleys were removed, I still saw swirls in the paint. If you look at the factory paint, and the repaired, you can see a difference in the finish.

800.00 paid for the job, less my 250.00 deductible. That is why I'm kinda having fun doing it myself on parts that do not have to be pristine.

Glad you are back up and almost running.

Adam

Adam

Spring Makeover Comes To An End!

Well, I let Richie take the car to practice by himself (Still waiting patiently for him), and I headed for the garage to finally get the bike done. I started by draining all the old coolant in the system.
IMG_0778.jpg

After the radiator and engine block was empty I vac'd out the remaining coolant in the reservoir.
IMG_0779.jpg

I then filled up with Engine Ice and waited for the air to escape and finally to bleed out the system when the bike was finally running.
IMG_0780.jpg

I did the best I could with some Noxon on the headers, both to clean off the coolant and to shine them up a little.
IMG_0781.jpg

I then installed the original upper fairing while I wait for the other to come back from the painter.
IMG_0783.jpg

I followed that up by installing the mirrors.
IMG_0784.jpg

It was then the moment of truth. Three months of modding, cleaning, and wishing for this day to get here. I used 1-1/2ozs. of Seafoam in what little gas I had in the tank. It was a bit much but I wanted that first blast to run through the carbs first to clean them out good. I checked the tank for leaks and primed up the fuel pump. It was now time................

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ghdt1xcH8]YouTube - FZ1 Spring Startup[/ame]

I was amazed that she started up on the first turn of the key. I attribute that to syncing the carbs just before I put her away for the Winter. I could see that telltale smoke from the Seafoam initially blowing through the exhaust. It subsided after a couple of minutes. I bleed any more air from the radiator, topped it off as well as the reservoir, and rolled her out into the sunlight. So here are some final shots of the new paint in the sunshine. It did look shiny as heck outside.

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

So in ending my Spring Makeover Thread, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and tips through the duration of the project. You guys are awesome! Now I gotta wash up because I need to take the "LONG WAY" to the gas station to fill up my baby!!!

She looks beautiful Billy. Having it start on the first kick so effortlessly? WOW! You did a fantastic job! She wakes from her long winter's nap and is READY!!! Ride safe my friend!

but looks so Cooooooooooooool

2vw8g7c.jpg

leaving the heal guards polished just leaves a bit o bling lol

and you know modding is never a finished science look at me been there done that and still find new stuff to do lol

I just got back from a "shakedown" run to get gas and to make sure that everything is tight and secure on the bike. The brakes are fabulous with the new lines and there were no leaks from gas, brake fluid, nor coolant. I wasn't "feeling it" today so I came back home. Once in a while I just get an uneasy feeling when I'm out. You know, the days when all your "lines" are off by a mile and you just can't get comfortable on the bike. I always listen to my little voice and do whats best.............Come home and watch the Daytona 200 on Speed Channel!!!!!!

I went down early this morning to install the new gas cap that Eric was extremely gracious to send me to replace my "botched up" stocker. Thanks Eric, your a lifesaver! The install was easy as pie and went on wothout a hitch. Eric saved me a bunch of dough that I didn't have and I truly appreciate it. It's guys like him that renew my faith in humanity. The cap, made by Roaring Toyz fit like a glove and matched up well with my newly painted tank.

Tony also came by this morning to pick up some stuff I had here for him so he could get some of his small projects done. Unfortunately it was a few degrees colder than we would have liked so there will be no rides for today. I wanted him to feel the ride of the new Bridgestones in combination of the rebuilt forks but he wasn't having it. He was dressed for the "cage" and not for riding. Oh well, next time. It was good to see him again anyhow.

Here are a couple of shots of the new cap mounted.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

I also want to thank Tony for getting two scratches out of the fender and a smudge from the side of the tank. He had in his trunk some Scratch Doctor and now my fender looks good as new and the small smudge that I had in the tank since I got it back is now history. So with the exception of my Speed Bleeders, this thread is now pretty much done. Thanks to everyone that has followed along since the beginning. We can now all root for Adam and Eric to get their bikes finished and on the road.

Looks great Billy, a job well done. :wow:

I wish I knew more about the mechanics of a bike like many of you do. The little I can do I my bike I enjoy doing.

Looks great Billy, a job well done. :wow:

I wish I knew more about the mechanics of a bike like many of you do. The little I can do I my bike I enjoy doing.

Thanks Cos but trust me, any of my love for general mechanics came from necessity more than love. When you grow up as broke as I was, you learn quickly how to take care of stuff on your own as opposed to taking it to someone and pay for repairs. Over the years it has turned into a relaxing hobby for me as well as humble pride that I can do the basics.

It's not all "peaches and cream". A couple of years back when I was stranded up North with Tony, we hadn't a clue what was wrong and it wasn't until 3 weeks later when Ivan found the problem, which wound up being a combo of watered gas and a cracked spark plug. So I'm not an "Ace" by any means, and anything I can do, anyone can do with the proper tools and a good manual or guide.

The trick is reading up on all this stuff. If we had YouTube back in my day, I'd be so much more proficient than I am now. You could probably find pretty much any "how to" on the web now, and seeing someone do it is so much better than looking at a drawing in a book.

Get yourself a decent metric tool set and a service manual and you too will be doing your own maintenance in no time at all!

Back