What did you do to your FZ today?

That's a fantastic deal on the Givi setup!

When you get ready to trim the plastic under the tail section you will find lines in the plastic to follow. I used a Dremel to start and then some round and flat files to clean it up. If you take your time it will look like it came that way from the factory.

Enjoy,

Jon...

Last Pentecost Monday took my FZ1 out for a nice stretch near the Antwerp harbour and Zeeuws-Vlaanderen along the little dikeroads...we were running from one to the other shower in between sunny breaks...

Attachments

• IMG00656-20140609-1641.jpg
    IMG00656-20140609-1641.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG00657-20140609-1641.jpg
    IMG00657-20140609-1641.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 94
That's a fantastic deal on the Givi setup!

When you get ready to trim the plastic under the tail section you will find lines in the plastic to follow. I used a Dremel to start and then some round and flat files to clean it up. If you take your time it will look like it came that way from the factory.

Enjoy,

Jon...

Really is a great deal. Those lines in the underfender are a good starting point but I found that I had to clear out a lot more to get it all buttoned up. Those side cases don't ruin fuel milage eithe, I get between 39 to 42 mpg on the road usually.

Used Givi Score, cont'd...

I just ordered the top case eliminator bracket kit. I should have some pics of the bags, mounted on the bike, next week.

I considered riding to work this morning but between the dense fog and all the water on the bike had me in the car. However, it turned into a beautiful day for an evening ride.

Cut my windscreen down further and put on a 16t sprocket. Started to leave in my truck this morning, saw the sunshine so I did a re-check on the weather. The bike is sitting outside my office.

the question of checking the weather is not to ride or not. it's what gear to i get to wear today
I remember those days. Now, however, I enjoy the ease and comfort of staying dry on a daily commute as opposed to being blasted by the elements and dealing with all the wet mess when I get to work. I love riding, but I don't get carried away with the hardcore thing anymore.

Last edited:
I remember those days. Now, however, I enjoy the ease and comfort of staying dry on a daily commute as opposed to being blasted by the elements and dealing with all the wet mess when I get to work. I love riding, but I don't get carried away with the hardcore thing anymore.

Yes, at 64 I don't really relish getting to work in the wet (even with a rain suit), that was OK when I was in my 20s and 30s.

Took my bike for a dyno run today...
I'm a bit long winded so I'll do my best to keep this short. I bought the bike from craigslist after it had been "looped" or wheelied into submission by the previous owner. As far as he knew, it just needed new rear plastic, hand-grabs, left peg...
Luckily I got it for nearly dirt cheap because I did see many things initially...and much more as I got into it.
I had to replace both wheels, side cases, handlebars, motor mount was broken, had it welded, fairing cracked, seat torn etc...
I replaced all the mechanicals that needed replaced and upgraded a few as well. It had a stage I jet kit from Holeshot performance, I needed to rebuild carbs so I went ahead and ordered the stage II kit. (Plus I like the pod-look)
2003 Fz1 ~17.5 k miles
Stage II Holeshot performance Jet kit
Ignition advance from Holeshot performance
High-pipe slip-on from Holeshot performance
Ported intake boots (by me..so not professionally done)
Temp = 106F
Elev. approx 1300
R/H 13%
Results?
HP = 130
Tq = 78.
The dyno owner said it reads about 3% low. I guess that's not bad as I was expecting/hoping for closer to 140.

What do you guys think? Are these ok #'s for a Gen I?

[video=youtube_share;CJbepThWLu4]http://youtu.be/CJbepThWLu4[/video]

Last edited:
Got out today for a nice relaxing Father's Day Ride. Logged another 165 miles on the new bike and am happy to say that it is literally effortless to ride this bike all day and not be tired or aching at all. No video today but did stop to snap a few photos.

Stopped at the high point on 9W to take a shot of the back of West Point from above.
IMG_0663_zps78beefbc.jpg

The dormant ski lifts in the background. Hopefully we won't see those in operation anytime soon!
IMG_0667_zpsf7494c58.jpg

Heading North up to Orange County
IMG_0665_zps3d6d118a.jpg

Stopped up at O.C.C. Headquarters to see if they had anything new on the floor.
IMG_0668_zps0fad70c8.jpg

O.C.C.'s version of a sportbike. It actually didn't look all that bad.
IMG_0671_zpse602be8f.jpg

The shop was quiet this Sunday so I headed back home the long way around.
IMG_0673_zpsf8590c46.jpg

All in all I'm loving this bike. If the weather stays nice it looks like I'll be racking up the miles this year!

Nice job! Let us know how the Plasti Dip holds up to the heat of the exhaust. I'm curious to know. Thanks!

UPDATE ON THE PLATI DIPPED EXHAUST!!

I decided all black was a little much and I was curious about it coming off. Its held up quite well. There is one dime size spot chipped off on the bottom (I assume it was from a rock or something). I probably should have done a few more coats to make it a thicker more durable coating. When I get more time im going to take it off, patch the spot and put a few more coats on.

So to get back on track I peeled off the dip on the end caps. After getting an edge started I was able to pull the majority off in one go. The only spot I had trouble was about a 1/4" around the very tip of the exhaust. My conclusion is that in extreme heat it looses its elasticity and becomes brittle. A little carb cleaner on a rag and it rubbed right off though. Even happier with the look now than I was before.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
UPDATE ON THE PLATI DIPPED EXHAUST!!

I decided all black was a little much and I was curious about it coming off. Its held up quite well. There is one dime size spot chipped off on the bottom (I assume it was from a rock or something). I probably should have done a few more coats to make it a thicker more durable coating. When I get more time im going to take it off, patch the spot and put a few more coats on.

So to get back on track I peeled off the dip on the end caps. After getting an edge started I was able to pull the majority off in one go. The only spot I had trouble was about a 1/4" around the very tip of the exhaust. My conclusion is that in extreme heat it looses its elasticity and becomes brittle. A little carb cleaner on a rag and it rubbed right off though. Even happier with the look now than I was before.

Great news! Thanks for coming back with the update R-Man!:sport12:

Not to mine but to an fz1...on Saturday I helped my moto-hubby dissassemble his bike so he can swap frames. After he'd replaced the handlebars, front axle, and upgraded the forks it was still off. He learned how to check it and discovered it was off by about 5 degrees. Don't ask me how to do that :D

A couple of gifs from the day's work.
GEDC0101-MOTION.gif

Took more time cleaning than wrenching.
GEDC0133-MOTION.gif

Not to mine but to an fz1...on Saturday I helped my moto-hubby dissassemble his bike so he can swap frames. After he'd replaced the handlebars, front axle, and upgraded the forks it was still off. He learned how to check it and discovered it was off by about 5 degrees. Don't ask me how to do that :D

A couple of gifs from the day's work.
GEDC0101-MOTION.gif

Took more time cleaning than wrenching.
GEDC0133-MOTION.gif

Please tell me that he had those exhaust ports blocked when he was hosing it down. :jaw drop:

Back