What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

Let me know what you think about the Heat Demon grips.

Went for a ride Monday morning in temps at Freezing. It was about 100 miles each way. I had the grips at the highest setting. While the tips of my fingers still got chilly it was not as bad as it was back in October coming out of the mountains in New Mexico in the same temps. Back then, without the grips, my fingers were burning they were so cold. I kept having to place my hands down on the engine to keep them from freezing.

Camping off the Beast

Went for a 400 mile ride over the weekend and did some tent camping in Mission Tejas State Park with a group of about 18 other riders.

This was pretty much a camping gear shakedown now that I have all the bags and camping equipment I wanted. I am very happy with how things packed and worked out.

I had such a good time I never even took the time to pull out my good camera. I won't make that mistake again. I also won't make the mistake of taking 4 bottle of home made wine. Riding 200 miles home with a hang over is not fun!

Stared at my R1 wishing weather would get better. Ive put 10 miles on it since I bought it :banghead:

Actually been really busy working on the WR450. I stripped out a bolt on the oil filter cover that screws into the clutch side cover for the case. I decided to replace the whole cover instead of heli coil it as I got the case in great condition off ebay for $22.00.

and with the slow going trails we tend to ride and the 90F + weather we see in summer ive had some times I have over heated so I figured why not upgrade the waterpump while im at it. Then since I have to drain coolant and I smashed a radiator, might as well replace that as well. Oh and a rock cracked a small hole on my ignition side case cover, so I JB welded that. Ive done it with friends bikes before and worked like a charm, so Ill give it a go and if it doesn't hold replace.

Ok so got plastics off, and here we are all stock. Radiator was tweaked before I got my Devol Radiator guards.

Tweaked radiator

Stock Water Pump

hole in ignition side case

Removing Cover was pretty simple and straight forward. I was very pleased with as much and as hard as I ride the bike how it looked inside. Everything looks great, gear teeth look awesome.

Cover Removed

So the whole reason (mostly) that I did this was because of that bolt I stripped. The reason it stripped was when you remove the bolt for the oil filter cover, the excess oil from the filter area drains through that bolt hole back into the case to help keep oil changes clean. Well particles and metal bits from clutch ect.... gets caught in the threads of the hole and when you place the screw back in it can eat away at the threads. Found a great write up on this on ThumperTalk.com, and they recommended plugging the hole with a small bearing. Drill out hole slightly larger about half way through it, place in bearing and then punch it down to hold in place.

Its upside down pic but there it is. Holding very well and solid. Im not worried on it coming out.

Ok so hole plugged, time to tackle water pump.

Stock on left, Boyesen on right.

Great reports online of much cooler temps. Did a rebuild kit on it also so new bearings and seals since im in there. Got it all together. Looks pretty.

The rest was simple stuff. New Radiators go on, just replace where old ones were. Bought oversized again, its what I had before and I was fairly happy with them.

Had to modify a bit to fit devol rad covers, just cut off tabs for airscoops as I wont be running them anyways.

All back together and running perfectly. Ran great, just idled in garage but no leaks :woot: and all sounded normal. Hoping to get it out tomorrow and actually ride it and make sure its all holding up correctly.

I met up with two local Guzzi guys and we rode out to the Seaba Station motorcycle museum. Ironically both were named John. :)

http://www.seabastation.com/

I also got my wheels back from CG with the newly mounted Heidenau K60 Scouts.

I was a little hesitant to go with such a "rugged" tire however they work great on the street. I looked for a trails but no luck. Maybe Saturday if the weather improves.

At the museum there were about 50 to 60 riders. Mainly Triumphs, V Stroms, BMWs, FJRs, and some older HDs.

The crowd was older, however there were some younger riders too, men and women. Everyone was very friendly.

When we pulled up I was (the Stelvio) was mobbed! "Cool bike!" "How do you like the K60's?" "How do you adjust the brightness of the cluster?"

At 1:00 pm they had a drawing and gave away a 1978 Honda XL125. The bike had been totally restored and looked brand new!

Then this afternoon the next cold front arrived. Ugh. Hopefully it lifts by this weekend.

***EDIT*** 1/2/14, 9:21 am, 16 degrees!!!

View attachment 16699

View attachment 16700

View attachment 16701

Last edited:
I met up with two local Guzzi guys and we rode out to the Seaba Station motorcycle museum. Ironically both were named John. :)

http://www.seabastation.com/

I also got my wheels back from CG with the newly mounted Heidenau K60 Scouts.

I was a little hesitant to go with such a "rugged" tire however they work great on the street. I looked for a trails but no luck. Maybe Saturday if the weather improves.

At the museum there were about 50 to 60 riders. Mainly Triumphs, V Stroms, BMWs, FJRs, and some older HDs.

The crowd was older, however there were some younger riders too, men and women. Everyone was very friendly.

When we pulled up I was (the Stelvio) was mobbed! "Cool bike!" "How do you like the K60's?" "How do you adjust the brightness of the cluster?"

At 1:00 pm they had a drawing and gave away a 1978 Honda XL125. The bike had been totally restored and looked brand new!

Then this afternoon the next cold front arrived. Ugh. Hopefully it lifts by this weekend.

View attachment 16699

View attachment 16700

View attachment 16701

Did the front sing to you much?

Thinking I am going to go Racetech internals & spring on my rear shock on the Tiger. I want to improve the shock in the most cost effective way I can. The spring is just way to soft for me and I cannot get it exactly as it should be. Add on all my camping gear and it is horrible.

This will cost me about $650 at my local shop which is Racetech certified. Far cheaper than even the cheapest shock I could get new setup just for me. I will do the front in a few months.

Any reason to talk me out of it?

Back