What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

It will be beautiful that time of year. I may try to do that as my solo (without wife) trip this year.

I'll post up a trip planning thread for the trip soon, so you can see how the dates work for you. I will be coming in by Steamboat and going south on the Colorado Back-country Discovery Route. Then my own route north from Telluride, further west, but coming out close to Steamboat before heading back home past Yellowstone's east side. I should be leaving Calgary July 26th, and in Steamboat on the 29th (southbound). Check out Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR)

Maybe Brenda and her other half can join us. She won't want to do Black Bear though, she made that clear already.

Last edited:
After a long time sport bike guy it will be a transition for sure with even mild knobbies like the K-60s. There is always a certain speed where you will notice a vibration, for me the front vibrates mildly at 35-50 kph. on pavement. In gravel you will never feel it. That rear should not be noticeable (for vibration) on pavement. They will take a lot of miles to wear out before you need new ones. Maybe you should meet me in Telluride in Colorado the first week of August so we can chew up those tires on Ophir pass and a few others!

They are very smooth at 112. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Tires and Mission Creep

Ordered a new front tire and was pleasantly surprised to find a 27% drop in price. This was a good thing since I had to order new hoses after discovering a small leak. I will have to tear down the bike AGAIN! Argh! I might have damaged a hose while fighting with the sump tank. I did notice that the hoses seemed to have hardened up, which will happen over time. I figured I'd put all new hoses and clamps while I was at it since it is a big job to get down that far. I want to not have to worry about it for another 73,000 km. These parts are not expensive either.

Put in 377 miles today. I was trying to try out the better roads in SE OK, but simply ran out of time. I left at 12:30, got to the windy part 180 miles later and it was 4:30, Antlers, OK (The World Capital of Deer - Self-Proclaimed). If I took the windy way home I'd still be riding! Instead I cut over to the Indian Nations Turnpike and punched it! 90 to 95 most of the way, and a bip up to 122. Shhhhh!!!!

Next time I have a warm weekend I just cut straight east on I40 and then cut south, vs. a slower SE route through dead, tumbleweed towns. Live and lean.

Regardless, the Ozarks continue to look like a blast. Maybe in May?

http://goo.gl/maps/7CSBH

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Oklahoma+City,+OK&amp;daddr=Ada,+OK+to:Antlers,+OK+to:34.721483,-95.2996639+to:Quinton,+OK+to:McAlester,+OK+to:Ada,+OK+to:Oklahoma+City,+OK&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FSgxHQIddAQw-imB0vh-VIqthzGdOk_RdBKiMw%3BFQOeEgIdN848-ilNOl9lfmqzhzHGcchQ0Ju-tQ%3BFaxTCgIdaPNM-ilNHjupw9BKhjHwS_jgojEbBw%3BFcvOEQIdsddR-imVuN9HI0K1hzEOMJxz2zWsNQ%3BFbvuFwIds8BQ-ilPlu0eop-1hzFEAtiGJJ_A5g%3BFbYKFQIdj6tK-ilng7uE1OC0hzEpFcaDhEOa2g%3BFQOeEgIdN848-ilNOl9lfmqzhzHGcchQ0Ju-tQ%3BFSgxHQIddAQw-imB0vh-VIqthzGdOk_RdBKiMw&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=Okla&amp;sll=34.848712,-96.39578&amp;sspn=1.311842,2.614746&amp;mra=ls&amp;via=3&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;z=9&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Oklahoma+City,+OK&amp;daddr=Ada,+OK+to:Antlers,+OK+to:34.721483,-95.2996639+to:Quinton,+OK+to:McAlester,+OK+to:Ada,+OK+to:Oklahoma+City,+OK&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FSgxHQIddAQw-imB0vh-VIqthzGdOk_RdBKiMw%3BFQOeEgIdN848-ilNOl9lfmqzhzHGcchQ0Ju-tQ%3BFaxTCgIdaPNM-ilNHjupw9BKhjHwS_jgojEbBw%3BFcvOEQIdsddR-imVuN9HI0K1hzEOMJxz2zWsNQ%3BFbvuFwIds8BQ-ilPlu0eop-1hzFEAtiGJJ_A5g%3BFbYKFQIdj6tK-ilng7uE1OC0hzEpFcaDhEOa2g%3BFQOeEgIdN848-ilNOl9lfmqzhzHGcchQ0Ju-tQ%3BFSgxHQIddAQw-imB0vh-VIqthzGdOk_RdBKiMw&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=Okla&amp;sll=34.848712,-96.39578&amp;sspn=1.311842,2.614746&amp;mra=ls&amp;via=3&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;z=9" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Not sure if you can see it in the photo, the evening light is pretty harsh, but the tires actually were shedding rubber like a track day tire! It wasn't sticky but more dusty. I'd just finished 95 miles at about 90 mph average. The tires were nice a warm.

View attachment 16836

Down in your part of the world I doubt you will be able to match the mileage I get from these tires. That said, I think you will still appreciate the value of them.

I really, really like them Lee. I'm still looking to find a good off-road trail to go play. Too much private land here. One option is go play on the outside of MX track to get the feel of dirt.

What is surprising is how well they stick at full throttle, leaned over. They just bite. And in a good way.

Oh, it was 70 today. The cold front is hitting as I type. Wind is howling at 30+, and low is supposed to be 18!

I figure ride when I can.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the 900 mile break-in service on the Stelvio. Adjust valves, (very easy - Duc owners heart your hearts out!), change motor, transmission, and differential oils.

Oddly, I personally, haven't adjust any valves since about 1982!

These are simple tappet adjusters, no shims needed. That said it needs to be done very 6,250. But it is about a 15 minute job.

I'm also going to give all the fittings a once over. MotoGuzzi is notorious for not torquing things and using enough grease. Hummm...sounds like Yamaha. :D

If I have enough time I'd like to pop off the swing arm and lube it's pivot and the differential.

interested to hear your improvement feedback on this change :)

No noticeable change. Not even better intake sound. I am disappointed in the K&N. The way they designed it there is 2/3 the filter surface area of the original. While they still claim better airflow is it could have been even better had they users all area available. I think I am going to get a BMC. I have seen photos and they make use of all available area of the perimeter of the filter.

Back