Whats your gas of choice?

So in my manual it says that it recommended to use unleaded gas with an octane of 91 or higher (gen 2 -2006). If you get miss fires then use a higher octane.

Personally I use what we in Sweden call regular unleaded which is 95 octane, I have tried 98 octane and did not notice anything different. I have been thinking of tying Shell V-Power 99 octane just to see if it makes any differers at all.

So in my manual it says that it recommended to use unleaded gas with an octane of 91 or higher (gen 2 -2006). If you get miss fires then use a higher octane.

Personally I use what we in Sweden call regular unleaded which is 95 octane, I have tried 98 octane and did not notice anything different. I have been thinking of tying Shell V-Power 99 octane just to see if it makes any differers at all.

One thing we all have to remember here is that fuel in the US uses a different rating than fuel outside of the US... :D 87 here is 91-92 outside of here. US 93 is 98 outside of here. :tup:

So, when we say 87, it is the AKI rating which correlates to your 91 RON rating.

One thing we all have to remember here is that fuel in the US uses a different rating than fuel outside of the US... :D 87 here is 91-92 outside of here. US 93 is 98 outside of here. :tup:

So, when we say 87, it is the AKI rating which correlates to your 91 RON rating.

I knew this (but had forgotten as usual, thanks for reminding me).

I've read many scientific and articulate discussions of why you only need to use the octane rating that is recommended by your manual. They explain why using a higher octane only wastes your money. My Toyota Land Cruiser, bigass SUV that it is, needs only regular gas. I have 100,000 miles on it and hope to get another 100,000. In this day in age, when the manufacturers of cars here in the US are on the hook for so long (36,000 miles, 3 years or more for some cars) I believe there is no way they would recommend regular gas if it was somehow inferior to premium as regards the engine.

I don't believe its a "carrier" based decision to have ethanol or not. In the Mid Atlantic region here you have essentially no choice but to buy gas with ethanol in it. Many (perhaps even most) other regions are similar. I guess you could buy race or aviation gas if you really felt the need. . . . . Ethanol has definitely seemed to lower gas mileage in my vehicles. Be happy you don't have Ducati Sport Classic with its plastic gas tank. Tanks are expanding in width over 1 inch with ethanolated gas, no longer fitting the mounts on the frame. Ducati is dragging their feet for a proper fix and just keep replacing defective with defective. A buddy of mine is going through this . . . .
For my "stage 4" setup running Ivans E map on the PCIII& IM I use 89 octane as that is what it was tuned for by Mr I.

Last edited:
Be happy you don't have Ducati Sport Classic with its plastic gas tank. Tanks are expanding in width over 1 inch with ethanolated gas, no longer fitting the mounts on the frame. Ducati is dragging their feet for a proper fix and just keep replacing defective with defective. A buddy of mine is going through this . . . . .

That is because it costs them about $1.67 worth of plastic beads to injection mold a new tank where sending out a metal replacement would be quite a bit of money. ;) I would think that they should be able to line the plastic tank with one of the suitable tank liner kits to prevent the ethanol from permeating the plastic tank? Dunno... might be worth it for one of the owners to pull a new tank, coat it, and wait for the results? Hmmmm.....

That aside, and speaking of Ducati... this is ONE Duc I would love to put in the stable with the FZ1.

2011-Ducati-Diavel-Sportbike.jpg

87 octane for everything.....even my cars that call for super...unless you get some pinging/detonation you should be OK.
Bad thing with running the good stuff too long.....the engine gets spoiled and may not like the taste of the 87 during the first tank.
Had that happen with a used bike I had.. the PO used super from new...the engine would spit and sputter at the smell of 87.
I've even run the high test from Sunoco...smells good, but not enough performance difference for the $ amount.

Back