Which bike??

Okay, I can't believe it but I might sell the FZ1. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but the bike will be going to the right buyer and I will still get to ride it when I see him. Just need a little extra cash for the appliances in the home purchase my wife and I are making this Spring.

Anyway, I need to replace it. I want something smaller but I ride a ton with my daughter on the back. This won't be my track bike or anything but I will ride my wife on it as well. My point is I definitely need to consider riding 2 up on this bike.

But, I need something fun. I'm considering the Tuono V4, but I need to know it can adapt to a top case and I can't find one for it. Afraid it may just be way too much bike for what I need it to do. Also considering a Triumph Street Triple R since I know there is a top case option for the kid and wife.

Also considering an FZ8. I can get one of those really cheap these days brand new.

So, if you could get an FZ8 for about $7,000, would you even consider a Street Triple R for almost $10K? Realize the HUGE benefit of the Triumph is that my wife could ride it as well! She might try the FZ8 but she hated the FZ1 so I don't see her riding it much. I don't think she'd touch the Tuono V4 since she would worry about me getting upset if something happened to it. I just feel like the ST3R is overpriced for what it is or I'd probably go with that.

I'm just totally torn on what to replace the FZ1 with. If I didn't like the guy I'm going to give her to so much I wouldn't let it go.

I even considered a sweet deal on a Kawasaki Concours 1400 or an FJR 1300 but my wife just thinks it's not me. If the BMW S1000R wasn't so pricey I would consider it, but I need to spend less money, not more, and I think if I were going over $10K for the bike I would go for the Tuono. I would love the new KTM SuperDuke R, but it's just not in the cards and I can buy 2 bikes for the price of that one.

Just throwing it out there. What do you guys think, or is there a bike I'm missing that would cost less and do the job without being terribly boring or beginner oriented? Just an FYI, we already have a Ducati Monster in the garage so I don't necessarily need something like that, but I do like the idea of the wife being able to ride the Street Triple R.

dude, just save money buy appliances with saved money problem solved, makes no sense to sell your bike, when you are looking for another to replace just get appliances on credit pay them fast 6 12 months no interest

Yo Blav r u looking at new or used bikes? There are some good deals on leftover fjr's .have you drivin one? Do you have a price range in mind?

Well, I'm not holding it in any longer. Yes, with the exception of a major debacle, I'll be riding a beautiful 2007 Retro Kitted FZ1!!! Sorry Brian, but it's just too hard to keep it in so close to riding season. :D I know I always say this but this WILL BE my very last bike. Not going to change stuff except a slip-on if it's back to stock form and nothing else. This will be the ride that I do just that, RIDE! Oh, I'm sure there will be a cleaning in her future somewhere down the line, but that's all. As for the YZF, for now she will remain in the stable.......Hey! I can finally say that I have a "Stable"!!! Hahahaha!! It's only two but a stable nonetheless! If the right person comes along I may sell the YZF but I'd probably regret it afterwards so I'll keep her insured and registered for now and use her for some short Mountain rides!:D

But anyway, I don't want to sidetrack Brian's Thread. Lets keep our thoughts on the matter at hand..................................

2014-Aprilia-Tuono-V4-R-APRC-ABS-02_zps9fd6aff1.jpg

Hey Brian!

The pillion on the Tuono is simply terrible. My wife refuses to sit there.

I've not seen a top box for it however on the AF1 site there is a great thread on luggage for the TV4.

I do know that SW Motech tank bags and saddlebags will work, they are not in the catalog.

I'll see what I can find for you.

One of the reasons I bought the Stelvio is for the wife. It has a wonderful pillion position and a great all day saddle.

Saddle Bags and Top Bag: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...-Luggage-Installation-Hepco-amp-Becker-System

Very good thread: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?231947-V4-Luggage

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/aprilia/rsv4-factory-rsv4-312r-rsv4-312rr-rsv4-r

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=2628

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will say the FZ8 doesn't do anything for me. The FZ9 on the other hand, what is a pretty cool little bike.

The Tuono is a beast, simply brutal. You can ride it in a controlled manner but it just begs to be riden hard.

I'm not sure if you are a skier, but a good racing ski is terrible at recreational speeds, but once it is at race speed there is nothing like it. The Tuono is similar to that.

Last edited:
Wow! This is quite a change! Congrats Billy! w00t!!!!!! That's awesome!

Brian, I don't know what to say... but I understand. ;) The possibilities for another choice are many... I guess it depends on how much comfort you want for your daughter and how much carving you think you want to do. I can tell you from experience on Norm's ex-Concours that while it is a big bike, it is quite nimble and VERY comfortable. Just do not buy one made prior to 2010 as they have engineering problems that were not fixed until the 2010 model. Keep in mind, maintenance on them is a pain as you have to disassemble a lot to do routine work.

The FZ9 with some seating changes is good. It's a sportbike that feels like a highly-flickable light-weight dirtbike at times from what I'm reading. ;)

FZ1inNH said:
Wow! This is quite a change! Congrats Billy! w00t!!!!!! That's awesome!

Oh wow, I just caught this! Too cool Billy! Brian's bike is tight!

That's what I get from reading the forum on the phone! :shaking head:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! This is quite a change! Congrats Billy! w00t!!!!!! That's awesome! QUOTE]

Oh wow, I just caught this! Too cool Billy! Brian's bike is tight!

That's what I get from reading the forum on the phone! :shaking head:

Thanks Pete. I'm very excited about it and feel bad at the same time. I'll feel much better once Brian has a replacement bike. :( If you know Brian personally, you'd know that he usually changes bikes like underwear. Being that he's kept this particular bike for this long shows me just how much he is attached to it. He understands the sacrifice he's making for his family just as I did when I sold my FZ1. I commend him on that and I'm honored that I'll be the one riding his bike soon.

Back