2007 FZ1 sputters/misses between 2K & 3K

You could try bypassing the PC3 and see if the problem goes away maybe. If problem is still present with the PC3 not connected then you know its something else.

the problem is that the issue is intermittent. as of this morning after a few passes up and down the street starting/stopping at low rpm, it was running normal. i guess i could ride around until it occurs then disconnect pc3 and see if it runs correctly? then ill ride around a while longer to see if it comes back?

edit:
the pc was installed when i bought the bike a little over a year ago so i have no clue how it is wired in. is it simply just unplugging the pc and plugging the factory wiring back together?

Last edited:
more than what used r1 coils are

Ive had my R1 coils for over 15K miles. They work fine.

Disconnect the PC for a day or 2. How often would you say that you get the sputter? Do that time frame plus a day or 2.

Ive had my R1 coils for over 15K miles. They work fine.

Disconnect the PC for a day or 2. How often would you say that you get the sputter? Do that time frame plus a day or 2.

now that i think back the sputter has occurred a few times before but only for a few seconds right after start up. yesterday is the first day i experienced the issue for any length of time though. it did it for the first few minutes of my ride to my destination and for about the last 5-10 minutes home (only about a 15 minute ride)

Last edited:
When my PC started misbehaving it began as a small miss around 4k which I thought was possibly down to some dodgy fuel as I was out in the boonies when it started playing up, but the engine problems got steadily worse over the course of a few days to the point where the bike became pretty much unrideable.

update:
i had some free time to play around with it when i got home after class today.

read into diagnostic mode further and fault 14 that was showing up, intake pressure sensor hose. checked to make sure hose wasnt pinched and cleared code. problem still persisted

unplugged my pc3 ran the bike back up to temp. same misfiring still persists.
cleaned connectors and reconnected the pc3.

rechecked diagnostic mode and no codes were listed

edit:
here is a crappy cell phone video of what it is like at idle. you can still hear and see the idle jumping around/missing though
fz1 misfiring/sputtering - YouTube

Last edited:
Hey Gents.

I hope my comment will bump the thread.

I have a similar problem, but may not exactly the same as you, people.
Here is a video I made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMWMHGWNNs

I have this problem for a long time, but no one could solve it yet. Sometimes I give up, sometimes I start to dig again.
As you can see on the video, the bike stutters. You can hear it, and you can feel it, it's bugging me.

Here are the facts:
- The idle is fine, but while pulling the throttle in neutral, the engine skips a certain range between 2k and 3k RPM.
- It only occurs when the engine is really warmed up. I need to ride it for like 5-6 miles or 10-15 mins. Before that, the bike rides really smooth between 2-3k.
- It happens only in 1-2-3rd gear, NOT above.
- Below 3k RPM bike feels like an FZ6 (owned one) and then shoots out.
- I had this twiching thing with the old and also with the new chain.

It's really bad in city traffic, I don't use the bike anywhere else at this RPM.

Other facts:
- Coils have been changed (my FZ-owner buddy gave me all his working ones for testing), nothing special happened.
- It's going on for a long time, can't blame bad fuel.
- Sparkplugs have been changed 3 times since I own the bike, one time it behaved perfectly for 250 miles and then the problem occured again.
- Valve clearances have been correctly set last year.
- Injector sync gadget showed a perfect picture.
- dIAG: TPS 18-98 & no error codes.
- Changed to Akrapovic Hexagonal slip-on 2 years ago.

My FZ is factory-like, to make it quicker I changed the front sprocket, but other than this and the exhaust, it's stock inside. In the past I also changed the CO settings to give some low-end boost, the problem plus the new exhaust made it slow, smaller front sprocket and modded CO settings made it kinda acceptable, but still not perfect. But I'm not really concerned about the missing power below 3k, the stuttering is more annoying, because it twitches the bike as it jumps between RPMs. Bike has 39.000 miles / 65.000 kms and model of 2006. Timing chain & tensioner are the originals.

What would you say?

PS: I just read FZ1inTX's thread which reminded me that once I also had an air intake sensor fault code. I'm going to doublecheck everything around it tomorrow!

Seems I have resolved the issue and it is one of two things. I have tested and passed the Intake Air Temperature Sensor and cleared the ECU from the error codes. And, as Phil had suggested, removed the SpeedoDRD. I just got back from about 15 miles of low speed cruising (35 to 45) keeping a steady throttle in the 3 - 4k RPM range. The bike did not sputter, surge, lurch, or falter in any way. So, it was one of these two items for sure.
He ended up ordering and installing a new AIT sensor and his problem went away.

PS2: No fault codes this time. Checked with cold and hot engine, nothing popped up.

Does anyone else have problem with this sensor? I'm willing to change it without proof that it is really going to help me, but I need at least one more experience from you guys.

Last edited:
Back