2007 FZ1 sputters/misses between 2K & 3K

Thanks!!! Great information. I am going to change out the coils first and then keep the sensors in mind.

Yeah, the coils are suspect - and they have a history of slowly going bad. they seem like the weakest link of the whole motor.

But some of your descriptions of how the engine is behaving makes me think that a sensor or sensors may be bad - sending bad info to the computer - which then controls the fuel mixture improperly.

Oxygen sensor, temperature sensor, --- even a throttle position sensor could be bad.

More for you to think about.

2007 misses/sputter between 2K and 3K

I just followed a great thread on another forum from a guy who had this exact same symptoms as me. The thread took place over several months, and I must say, it was a great read becasue he was painstaking in his approach to getting to the root of the issue. It saved me a ton of time and money. I noticed that a few of the people that added input were from this forum and I have to thank you guys again!!!

Secondly, I learned so much more about my bike than I had before, especially when it comes to fuel and electrical issues. Amazing.

I just ordered a set of 4 coils off of ebay for $80 from an '09 FZ1. The price of new were $90 per coil and I was seriously considering not riding it this summer because of the $400 it would have cost to buy new.

With that savings, I am also going to throw in new plugs for good measure.

I will let you all know of my results after I get the newer set of coils in.

Again, thanks!!!!

I just followed a great thread on another forum from a guy who had this exact same symptoms as me. The thread took place over several months, and I must say, it was a great read becasue he was painstaking in his approach to getting to the root of the issue. It saved me a ton of time and money. I noticed that a few of the people that added input were from this forum and I have to thank you guys again!!!

Secondly, I learned so much more about my bike than I had before, especially when it comes to fuel and electrical issues. Amazing.

I just ordered a set of 4 coils off of ebay for $80 from an '09 FZ1. The price of new were $90 per coil and I was seriously considering not riding it this summer because of the $400 it would have cost to buy new.

Again, thanks!!!!

When you get these used coils, please be sure to test them and make sure they are all within spec before installing or you may find the issue is still there. At least you will have 8 coils at that time and can pick the four that are closest to OEM specifications.

What I've done so far fighting the same problem. Synced throttle bodies, cleared stored codes, cleaned and dialectic greased all connections, set TPS to 18, Pulled coils checked resistance(all are at 1.4 to 1.5 ohms) and I just put in new Iridium plugs. Test ride tomorrow.

Rode 20 miles this morning. Just to repeat, I put the Iridiums in last night. I had still had the symptom up to this point. This morning smooth as glass. I'll ride later as the day heats up to see if there is any change. I'm thinking I had a bad plug. BTW They looked perfect when I took them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, thanks!!!!
A mate of mine had a similar problem with a 09 FZ1,after much testing by the yamaha mechanic it turn out to be a faulty coil,I believe he opened up the gap on the spark plugs and it showed up the faulty coil,

Last edited:
I had similar problem on the R6, only I could redline in 5 & 6. Ended up a coil was failing above about 11,000 rpm. After 4 new coils she was spinning at 15,000 again.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

2007 FZ1 stutters/misses between 2K and 3K- FIXED!

It is cured!!!!

I just got back from a test ride after replacing the coils and plugs. The power delivery through the lower range was as smooth as silk. I've got my bike back! I can't tell you how appreciative I am for all of your input, especially when the shop was not convinced that the coils could be the problem, although they did help get to the bottom of things after eliminating potential problems with their diagnosis, and they did throw in a throttle body sync for my trouble.

I saved a ton of money buying the used coils from ebay.

She's getting a bath tonight and some new oil in the morning.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Thanks for the thread!

This forum is awesome! I've been having a similar problem on my '09 FZ1 and I think this thread just diagnosed my issue. There are some great members on this forum and I'm sure I can speak for everyone here when I say your input is greatly appreciated.

The excessive heat, although normal for this bike, affects components and creates problems like extreme heat usually does.

Maybe the 3rd generation FZ1 will address that problem with less lean fueling and greater cooling capacity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

same issues with my bike

i know this thread is a little old but didnt want to start a new one for the same issues. i have an 07. rode it to and from work today and it was fine. finally had time to give her a bath so i did that same way as usual. few hours later my girlfriend and i decide to go for a short ride. when i start to let it warm up she notices my led brake light flashing. i figured i just got some water on the front or rear sensor and after actuating both a few time it stopped flashing. so its up to temp and we are ready to take off and it starts a slight sputtering/misfire. it then went away so we continued. the next few starts it idled rough and took off rough sputtering/misfiring but then it went away so we got where we were going and i attributed it to water in a sensor or something and it just needed to dry off. take off to head home and it ran fine for about the first 5 minutes and then the misfiring/sputtering started while stopped at a light. the next 5 minutes home at low rpm (<4000) it was sputtering and misfiring but above that it was fine. after reading this thread sounds like coils to me and i will test and inspect them. just looking for conformation really as it fits the symptoms and runs exactly like the video a couple pages back

update:
tested all the coils and they were within spec. cylinder one had some condensation inside so i cleaned it off and reinstalled and had the same issue. im not getting an engine light but i went into diagnostic mode and the readings were as follow. i had a little difficulty understanding how to read it and which number i was supposed to be paying attention to

1 16
2 99
3 99
5 79
6 95
7 0
8 0.6
9 0
20 on
21 on
30 0
31 0
32 0
33 0
36 0
37 0
38 0
39 0
48 0
50 0
51 0
52 0
53 0
56 0
60 0
61 14
62 1
63 0
70 0

Thanks, Raymond

Last edited:
IVAN's reflash would be the better value. It runs cooler AND has more performance.

I too went through this coil issue. I was able to find that 1 of my coils was cracked on the body. I bought used R1 (04-06) coils and it cured the problem. There are more used R1 coils than FZ on EBAY.

There also seems to be some confusion about "spraying" the headers. You looking for a header that is running cooler (not cold) than the others. So you listen for the sizzle.

The fuel line problem sometimes cant be seen because of the sheath on it. just replace it and eliminate it as an issue. Its cheap.

my fuel line is already modded, forgot to mention that. i felt the headers by holding my hand close (attempting not to burn myself) and the seemed pretty equal to me. however i dont know if my hands are that sensitive. if i decide to assume its the coils since it fits the symptoms im debating whether to buy used or new. theres a set on ebay of new fz coils for 170. i know that 100+ more than what used r1 coils are but a lot cheaper than new individually. the used ones on there at the moment look (visually) like they are in worse shape than mine so i dont know if i would trust them to work properly when i get them or for any length of time

Hey Raymond have you got a power commander installed. I had a problem with my engine missing & surging at low RPMs once and it turned out to be a faulty PCV. Other symptoms I had were engine stalling on me when idling at the lights, it was also hard to start. It was a nightmare..

Hey Raymond have you got a power commander installed. I had a problem with my engine missing & surging at low RPMs once and it turned out to be a faulty PCV. Other symptoms I had were engine stalling on me when idling at the lights, it was also hard to start. It was a nightmare..

i do have a pc3. i think i did see a thread about issues with the pcv but i to my knowledge no issues with pc3? it isnt hard to start even when it is "acting up" and it has yet to stall. instead of the idle being at a steady 1200-1300, it sputter up and down between 900-1200

Back