Damnit!

Well, insurance *should* buy you all replacement parts, thus no fixing, just unbolt the damaged goods and bolt on the new. Considering I just went through this with Michele's Purple People Eater, I can help... I can even talk you through things on the phone if needed. Replacing the tank... they should provide a new one so you just need to unbolt all the stuff from yours and bolt it to the new tank. Make sure you get all the new gaskets that are needed for a tank swap.

Fairing, same deal... unbolt and bolt on the new one. It's not such a daunting task once you see what holds it all together. ;) You work with tools so I'm confident you can handle this, save the dough and buy some awesome mods to treat yourself! :tup:

18k... Not a bad plan to have the valves checked. It's been rare that anyone had these out of spec under 30k miles but you never know. With the money saved, it could be a "freebie" from the construction crew! LOL!!!

We're all her to help Missy! And glad to too!

The last being my left. Sheesh.
I take the demon in Saturday for the estimate, I'm going to take the fantastic advice and do the work myself. I'll have them check for mechanical damage, like it not starting, but parts replacements I'm going to do. I'll open a rebuild thread with before pics. :) I'm trying to put a positive spin, that it will be fun rebuilding myself, an I can do
Some better upgrades by buying the parts and doing it myself!

I take the demon in Saturday for the estimate, I'm going to take the fantastic advice and do the work myself. I'll have them check for mechanical damage, like it not starting, but parts replacements I'm going to do. I'll open a rebuild thread with before pics. :) I'm trying to put a positive spin, that it will be fun rebuilding myself, an I can do

Cool! This will give you a whole new appreciation for your bike. ;) Can't wait to see it unfold!

Easy romr!!!

Iron_man_HQ_Posters.jpg

26 years. 26 years with no get offs. Had my get off this morning on the way to work. It makes me mad, but I'm sharing so that maybe others can learn or be reminded of things that can happen. I'm fine, a little bruised, and sprained an ankle, (at least i think
Its just a sprain) and trashed my helmet. People wear your helmet. I hit my head so hard at less then 15 mph that I cracked my helmet. (and my head hurts) If it would've been my head, I wouldn't be writing this. The bike has minimal damage, the sliders did there job. But it's unridable because the foot peg and brake pedal broke off. Dent in the tank, and some cracked plastics.
Heavy construction zone. Lots of semi and dump trucks. Water, mud, so I enter the intersection on a green, see mud and water, and let off the accelerator, and went around the areas I could see that were wet. I however did NOT see the Lime that a truck dropped in the middle of the intersection. For those that dont know, Texas uses lime by the truck loads to harden the ground during road construction. It's wet and slicker then ice. Anyway, I didn't know it was there until I stood up from the bike flipping and saw it all over myself and the bike. AFTER I talked to the officer, the contractor sent a water truck and sweeper out to clean up. Nice.
So anyway, be careful my friends. I'm now gonna haveta do some repair work. :(

A word to the wise, maybe. Elsewhere, I've written about a track crash I had about 10 day ago. (Similar damage to the bike, only the shifter broke off, since it was left low side.)

Anyway, I got a badly bruised foot out of the deal that wasn't exactly improving. So I had it X-rayed yesterday. Small fracture not requiring a cast, so I've just got wrapped up and elevated to reduce the swelling.

If you don't see improvement, don't wait too long to get it checked. Don't want to risk your wheels.

And remember, ATGATT.

Last edited:
Misslyl I had a damn it moment yesterday. I had just got my new BT-016 mounted and was in the process of putting the wheels bak on. I had the back on the race stand and the front supported by a floor jack and some wood with a towel draper over it. The first wheel to be installed ws the front. When to tighten the axle when the whole shebang decided to crash down on the left side of the bike. There I sat dumbfounded thinking out loud holy f this actually just happened. I went to pick up the bike and realized I could not because I had yet to put the rear wheel back on. I still can't tell if there is any damage ( thinking to myself how glad I don't have my new Rad covers) and begin installing the rear wheel while the bike is on its side, tangled up in my bike gear wardrobe. I get the rear wheel installed and move enough misc. crap from my pigsty of a garage out of the way and hoist her back to rubber side down. I then walk a few laps of the driveway before I assess the damage. Walk back into the garage and begin looking. A few minor scratches on the swingarm from the loose rear brake caliper a little marring on the brake lever and right side peg and a tiny gouge bellow my blinker. Luckily I will be the only person that ever sees the damage and yes I'am a dumb a$$.

Misslyl I had a damn it moment yesterday.

Man, I hate dropping my bike in the garage. I put my cruiser up on a lift with the lift on the opposite side of the kickstand and when I sit it down the kickstand is suppose to be down so I can lean the bike over on it. Well, I've leaned the bike over and forgot to check if the stand was down and literally just dropped the bike over on the concrete floor. Talk about feeling like a dumbass. :)

I am doing the same. I have sourced all the body work except for the front fairing...

I hopped of my 07 GSXR in the drive way with out putting down the kick stand...

I've got another one even worse than that.

I was sitting in the median waiting to cross the road during heavy traffic. Finally, I forgot I was on the bike and lifted my on the ground foot to the peg. The bike actually sat there for a few seconds before we just fell over. Some in a car asked me if I needed help getting the bike off me and I was so mad I jumped up with the bike like it was a bicycle. Now that's dumb. :)

Oh no! I actually laughed a little at the forgetting and picking up the feet one, I have a friend that did that while we were out riding, my first reaction was being scared he was hurt, but then he was laughing, we probably looked like idiots laughing our asses off picking up his bike. :) Johnny, that SO sucks! you have sliders yes? If anyone doesn't have those I really recommend you get them. They are like your helmet, you may never need them, but when you do you'll be SO glad you had them!
The ball is finally rolling, the insurance agent is sending an appraiser to see the bike between now and Monday, and he told me to
just go buy a new helmet and give him the receipt, they cover that separate from the aftermarket stuff.
I opted out of taking it to a dealership for the appraisal.
So rebuild thread should be starting soon I hope! I miss my FZ!!!

I had an almost oops last year. Tightening the rear axle nut, the bike pushed forward enough to knock it off the center stand. I immediately wrapped my arms around the tail as it hit almost 45 degrees lean and stood it back up while asking for help. Luckily, Norm was there talking to Michele and they came over and put the kickstand down so I could let go.

Johnny, you can put both wheels on with the bolts all snug but not torqued, put the bike in the side or center stand then tighten to spec. I had to mount the front first so I could put the front of the bike low enough to get the rear wheel on.

So I like the Cheap Cycle Parts site, for stuff like the tank an the fairing it appears reasonable..but I have yet to find the grab handle on the back seat anywhere but there. Not bike bandit, not Part Shark..and CCP it looks like it sais $229.00! Does that seem right? It sounds really high to me!

Hi Missy. If you look at Partshark's microfiche for your bike, select "Fender" and it should be part #17. It 's right around $200 for it depending on the color option. The issue with the Gen II grab handles is it is one piece that is quite substantial. ;)

For the 2009 Cobalt Blue, it is part number 3C3-24773-00-P0 for $194.53

You'll also need parts #22 (foam strip) and #66 (Yamaha tuning forks) then #37 & #38, stick-on protectors.

Last edited:
Back