Damnit!

26 years. 26 years with no get offs. Had my get off this morning on the way to work. It makes me mad, but I'm sharing so that maybe others can learn or be reminded of things that can happen. I'm fine, a little bruised, and sprained an ankle, (at least i think
Its just a sprain) and trashed my helmet. People wear your helmet. I hit my head so hard at less then 15 mph that I cracked my helmet. (and my head hurts) If it would've been my head, I wouldn't be writing this. The bike has minimal damage, the sliders did there job. But it's unridable because the foot peg and brake pedal broke off. Dent in the tank, and some cracked plastics.
Heavy construction zone. Lots of semi and dump trucks. Water, mud, so I enter the intersection on a green, see mud and water, and let off the accelerator, and went around the areas I could see that were wet. I however did NOT see the Lime that a truck dropped in the middle of the intersection. For those that dont know, Texas uses lime by the truck loads to harden the ground during road construction. It's wet and slicker then ice. Anyway, I didn't know it was there until I stood up from the bike flipping and saw it all over myself and the bike. AFTER I talked to the officer, the contractor sent a water truck and sweeper out to clean up. Nice.
So anyway, be careful my friends. I'm now gonna haveta do some repair work. :(

Wow, sorry to hear that Missy. You should at least go get checked for concussion or anything with your ankle. This way everything is documented in case you don't feel better in a day or so. Also, wouldn't the contractor be responsible for keeping the area clean for traffic? I'm glad your okay but it's still a pain to have the bike laid down. Hopefully you have now gotten your "get-offs" out of your system. Feel better and let us know what the outcome is.

26 years. 26 years with no get offs. Had my get off this morning on the way to work. It makes me mad, but I'm sharing so that maybe others can learn or be reminded of things that can happen. I'm fine, a little bruised, and sprained an ankle, (at least i think
Its just a sprain) and trashed my helmet. People wear your helmet. I hit my head so hard at less then 15 mph that I cracked my helmet. (and my head hurts) If it would've been my head, I wouldn't be writing this. The bike has minimal damage, the sliders did there job. But it's unridable because the foot peg and brake pedal broke off. Dent in the tank, and some cracked plastics.
Heavy construction zone. Lots of semi and dump trucks. Water, mud, so I enter the intersection on a green, see mud and water, and let off the accelerator, and went around the areas I could see that were wet. I however did NOT see the Lime that a truck dropped in the middle of the intersection. For those that dont know, Texas uses lime by the truck loads to harden the ground during road construction. It's wet and slicker then ice. Anyway, I didn't know it was there until I stood up from the bike flipping and saw it all over myself and the bike. AFTER I talked to the officer, the contractor sent a water truck and sweeper out to clean up. Nice.
So anyway, be careful my friends. I'm now gonna haveta do some repair work. :(
Wow, 26 years and you finally popped your ah, nevermind. :)
Glad you're OK. I hit diesel fuel like that once and went down immediately.

Wow, sorry to hear that Missy. You should at least go get checked for concussion or anything with your ankle. This way everything is documented in case you don't feel better in a day or so. Also, wouldn't the contractor be responsible for keeping the area clean for traffic? I'm glad your okay but it's still a pain to have the bike laid down. Hopefully you have now gotten your "get-offs" out of your system. Feel better and let us know what the outcome is.

Thanks my friend. Makes me mad, makes me sad to. But yes, he should have, and I made sure the officer noted all of that in his report. He was very thorough and understanding (has a bike to) I hope my insurance company goes after them. Having been a construction electrician for so many years I knew they should have been cleaning it. The lead guy that was talking to me even said, "yup, that's run off from our trucks"
Yes...consider it popped. :) I've heard diesel can be very slick as well. Hopefully this is my last. It blasts my ego a little, I consider myself at times to be overly cautious and safe when I ride. Then BOOM. Lime hits me in the arse.

Must be some thing in the air this year. Had my first get off this year as well. Like the others have said get your head checked out and start scouring the classifieds for parts!

Thanks my friend. Makes me mad, makes me sad to. But yes, he should have, and I made sure the officer noted all of that in his report. He was very thorough and understanding (has a bike to) I hope my insurance company goes after them. Having been a construction electrician for so many years I knew they should have been cleaning it. The lead guy that was talking to me even said, "yup, that's run off from our trucks"
Yes...consider it popped. :) I've heard diesel can be very slick as well. Hopefully this is my last. It blasts my ego a little, I consider myself at times to be overly cautious and safe when I ride. Then BOOM. Lime hits me in the arse.

BTW --- what helmet were you wearing?

I don't know if it's any consolation, but now you get to joint the "been down club", vs the "gonna go down club". I'm not sure of what kind of insurance you're carrying but in my own case, many years ago I went down in a curve from spilled antifreeze from a school buss (included in the accident report) and the insurance co. paid the entire bill. I had a 1984 900R Ninja and a lot of the plastic had to be replaced along with an engine side cover and a muffler. the bill way back then was about $4000. Luckily, that was the last time I was down, although as long as I ride, I know the possibility is still there. Definitely good you are OK, that's the most important thing. Fix the bike, hop back on the dog and ride-on.

That's what bothered me. On my last high side I landed on my head and shoulder at the same time and didn't crack my helmet. It did pop the paint off the opposite side of the impact and took a chunk out of the helmet but my head was fine. I wear a Scorpian 700 with the carbon fiber in it.

Replaced it with same over the past winter for $79.

Most folks have the misconception that the speed you are going has some relation to the protection a helmet provides. A helmet is designed to protect your head from a fall from the height it'll be when you are sitting on the bike. Regardless of going 100mph or sitting still, the drop from the fall will largely be the same. What's more important is the speed of your actual fall. A lowside at speed from a turn will be a relatively easy hit while doing something stupid like clipping your bars on something at low speed and slamming you to the ground will be much harder. However, the design and testing of helmets don't take into account sliding head first into a curb at 100mph, just falling off the bike.

Glad to hear you came out ok on this, here's hoping you can recover the costs from the construction company and you can be back up and running in no time.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad your ok, been there a few times myself. Ground thru the left side shell all the way to the foam once, that would have left a mark. Hope all goes well with recovery and insurance.

Wow Missy! Sorry to hear about this but sooooo glad you're OK!! I know as I was in the same boat last year... 27 years without an off and then a low speed high side. It sucked but at the same time, got that proverbial monkey off my back. It just made me less complacent and much more aware as I start what I hope could be another 27 year run without an off!

"You put the Lime in the coconut..." Glad you're coconut is OK! It helps a lot that you are in such fantastic shape though... better able to rebound from all the damage you've done to your body.

Post some pics of the damage. We'll all pull together and see what parts we can help with. Johnny on the spot is already willing! :tup:

I have stock parts that I could send you free of charge tomorrow if you would want them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny that's really nice of you, I may contact you in a day or two!
As fir the helmet hitting, all I know is I was going one way, and ended up facing the opposite direction on the opposite side, and the initial contact with the pavement was a violent one. And all that happened at low speed.

I guess it's all how you fall. If you remember my accident last July, I was only traveling 10 to 15mph, and I didn't regain conciousness for an hour and ten minutes! I don't even want to think about riders that opt to wear nothing on their heads.

Glad you're OK-save for the bruises and ankle. Your misfortune reminds me again of the importance of a proper helmet. Get well soon, and may you prevail if you litigate.

Taking a fall is always bad, but when it is something pretty much out of your control with something on the road, at least you know it wasn't your roadcraft. I went down the first and only time back in 1980 when sailing down the interstate in MN on a cold October morning. Dry pavement but came upon a small bridge over a creek you see all the time on interstates and saw it was covered in ice from the cold air underneath. I got off the throttle and the brakes and thought I could coast the 30 feet or so to the other side. Nope, down I went. Dumb on my part for not anticipating it but it was the only bridge that morning that had that issue. Haven't been down since. Just start counting from zero. Bikes can be fixed, body not always.

Back