The Panhandle and West Texas are brutal to drive through. The winds HOWL there too. A car is no fun, I can't imagine being on a bike for hours on end. We're talking like 8 to 10 hours. Ugh.

I rode the whole distance to Austin. The thing I hated above all else about west Texas was the SMELL. Thankfully, once you get near Austin, it becomes very beautiful and doesn't smell like crude oil.

Took next week to try and do as much of the home projects as possible. Laying tile in the kitchen, new back-splash too. Finish the MBR built-in closets... Then it is mostly paint work beyond those two. New carpets ordered for two bedrooms and the stairs, just waiting on delivery and installers.

Cleaning out a lot of stuff to get the amount that will make the trip as small as possible. We plan on traveling VERY light ('cept my tools and her sewing stuff.) :)

Took next week to try and do as much of the home projects as possible. Laying tile in the kitchen, new back-splash too. Finish the MBR built-in closets... Then it is mostly paint work beyond those two. New carpets ordered for two bedrooms and the stairs, just waiting on delivery and installers.

Cleaning out a lot of stuff to get the amount that will make the trip as small as possible. We plan on traveling VERY light ('cept my tools and her sewing stuff.) :)

The important stuff! I don't know bout Michele, but it's taken me years to collect a closet full of sewing stuff!

The important stuff! I don't know bout Michele, but it's taken me years to collect a closet full of sewing stuff!

I think half of what we will be moving is her sewing stuff! You know those 50 gal tote/storage bins? She has 13 of those full of only fabric, three machines, one serger, an embroidery machine with 6 different size hoops, 3 more bins full of notions, two Ott lights, a large cutting table and another 18 smaller boxes with everything not mentioned.

My tools will take up almost as much space though. :D

Tomorrow starts the big projects... It will be a tiresome week!

Eric, Rachelle saw your email. She's headed out to Minneapolis Saturday for a week of training for the shop. She'll get with you next week in the evening.

FYI rentals are at 97% filled.

Update.... Still sorting, packing and tossing stuff but getting closer! We found a home for the parrot so Yoshi has a happy new family. The young lady who now owns him is awesome.

I'm finishing up the oak in the MBR, kitchen is done and then it is just painting and touchup work throughout the house.

Next steps: We hope to secure a home to rent for a year in the next week or two. We'll be packing up the house except for my necessities and driving to TX starting Oct. 24th/25th and arriving close to Nov. 1st. The girls will settle in while I fly back to NH to sell the house. My final departure is still up in the air. My boss is working toward approval and has had some positive feedback regarding me taking my job with me. If approved, I'll leave NH 4 days after the close on the house. If not approved, I'll be stuck here in a small apartment until March because I'm not leaving before bonuses are paid out! :D Either way, my boss has told me I would have up to 6 months working from TX before they would sever ties and cut me loose... plenty of time to find work there.

When I depart, it will be with the few belongings and clothes I keep here and the trailer with the two FZ1s mounted and locked down. I'll likely break a few records fleeing NH and getting to TX so let's hear it for Red Bull and 5-Hour Energy drinks!

Can't wait to decorate the Christmas Cactus! :Rockon:

Some shots of my handyman work in the kitchen and MBR... I don't know why the turned photos look fine here but not on the site...

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Posted by FZ1inNH:

"I think half of what we will be moving is her sewing stuff! You know those 50 gal tote/storage bins? She has 13 of those full of only fabric, three machines, one serger, an embroidery machine with 6 different size hoops, 3 more bins full of notions, two Ott lights, a large cutting table and another 18 smaller boxes with everything not mentioned."

My wife says that the Lady who dies with the most fabric - wins! She is well on her way.

She knitted a cross stitch piece that hangs in my study, and says:
"The Gods do not subtract,
from man's allotted time,
the hours spent Riding Motorcycles".

That's looking great Eric! We'll be starting a few things round here as well :p

Figured we might as well enjoy a new floor & carpet for a few years till we absolutely have to sell this place.

Hope I can join you on your first (Texas group?) ride to the Hill-Country / 3-Sisters!

I hope so too! Looking forward to that first meet with anyone willing to come ride. Go easy on us 1st timers, eh? LOL!

The worst part for me is coming.... packing up the man cave... all those tools and parts... My 4Runner lift may have to wait until I get to TX. I have the whole lift but no time to do it and I won't have room in the 4Runner/trailer for the tools I'd need to keep here to get it done. :(

I'm not a "fast" rider, plus I've only been out to the 3-sisters a couple times. I'll probably follow you! :)

I'm not terribly fast but I like to push it a bit. You can keep Mrs company on her purple HD eater. :p I've been slowing down in my old age... I plan on just taking whatever road I can and when I'm getting tired, let TomTom get me back home. Mrs and I love to just get lost and either stop for a night or GPS back.

How far are you from the Austin area?

Sorry I've not been on much everyone. Real life got in the way and I've been swamped with work and household projects. Hellgate already knows but I'll share it here... some of you knew I was looking to get out of New England and find a better climate to ride a lot more often. Well, Pete might have a new riding buddy before the end of the year!

Michele and I have had it with the winters here, parking the bikes for 6 months and the work associated with snow. We have starting tossing and cleaning out the house (a huge and daunting task!) to prepare it for sale. We have plans in place to move as lightly as possible. We have never owned expensive stuff and the cost of moving most of it is more than buying something new when we get there. The majority of our belongings were furniture that we knew the kids would destroy (and they did) so it is an easy decision to toss most and pack little. The bulk of moving with be the tools, motorcycles, her sewing room and fabrics and the electronics and beds. The rest is yard sale, free or trash!

We will be renting for a short term in TX and begin a search for the right home. We will be relying on Hellgate's wife to assist us with that as she is a real estate agent. Jobs are plentiful in both my field as well as Michele's and she is actually transferring. I am taking my job with me on a trial basis and the boss says he would give me enough time to find work if this does not pan out.

So, TX will be the new home!

Last, work has been ridiculous and I've been working day and night as well as a lot of travel. That new holdover 2013 I bought last summer? I still do not have 2000 miles on it yet!

So, this is why I have been missing.... BTW, anyone want a very friendly hand-tamed parrot? He'll be around for about 50 more years!

View attachment 22421

Don't know how I missed this but I am very happy to hear this to say the least! We need to get Pyrogenic to host another group ride. He has a great lake house near Canyon lake that can be our rallying point. I can't wait to see how many years it is before you decide you hate the summer here and move somewhere else.

Darth, don't you live in SA? Why the heck have you only been to the sisters a few times?

I will be happy to keep Mrs. FZ1inTX company. I have been getting slower and slower every year for the last 5 years. She is probably actually faster than I am. If I am not doing something technical off road I just like to see the scenery. I spent 25 years letting that scenery pass me by.

Last edited:
You are going to have to get out of your comfort zone and head out to the hill country. ;)

Then i would feel uncomfortable...hehe
We have the 3 sisters version around Brenham just not as hilly...
Im not a fan of mountain riding...i like to see where im going...when we went there me and my wife had the most fun on hwy 16...

Back