How to improve MPG in my 2009?

I dont get the concern for Fuel milage?

I get crap milage, Im sure Im a pain in the arse to ride with due to how many stops I need to make for fuel.

But the Bottom line is I love the fun factor I get on a ride and wouldnt give it up for fuel concerns. I get about 20mpg and have a grin from ear to ear in between every gas station.

If I rode out of necessity I would have bought a different bike.

I don't mean to sound harsh.. but I'm not understanding why you are so concerned about the mileage.

The cost of a second bike - and the insurance for that second bike - and the upkeep for that second bike - would buy a lot of gallons of gas.

Is this really a matter of economics or is this rather a pursuit - for pursuit's sake?

It may be pursuit's sake. I also want a second bike to explore off on the trails and dirt roads here. there is a lot of cool offroad locatoins in AZ

Lindy is so right. Buying another bike to save money is not cost effective in any way. I think you're just chasing dragons here. Look at the averages on Fuelly and you'll see that your generation of FZ1 is what it is in regards to MPG. Get yours all tuned up and working to spec and enjoy :)

I have checked Fuelly, my average is 28 mpg, which is actually one of the lowest. Most people run around 32-36 with the really good ones in the 40s, but I think those guys are cheating. The rating for my year was 32 out of the factory. I think I just need a tune up. Also, I didn't really notice it but it's getting more pronounced is on the upper ring of the gas tank there are some rust blossoms. I had bought this bike sight unseen and asked if it didn't have any problems and I was assured there was nothing wrong with the bike. It looks as if they had just lightly buffed out the top ring of the gas tank. I'm going to keep using the Engine MedRX every other tank until I get this sorted.

I realize a second bike is not cost effective, but I kind of just want it too. I'm hooked on motorcycles.

So last night I finally got around to doing the Throttle Body Sync with the Morgan Carbtune. It took me a little longer than it should have but I got the job done. When I first checked, Cylinder 1 was running low by about 4cmHg and 4 was running low by 2-4 cm Hg.
I got cylinders 1,2,4 all perfectly matched and 3 was just below the rest by 2 cmHg. I adjusted the idle up to 1250-1300 RPM. I know it said that you're supposed to match the other ones to #3 cylinder but I figured if I could get more total cylinders matched the better.

Anyway, I went for 150 mile ride today. I got 32 mpg and then 33.3 mpg for mostly highway riding. My best so far. My previous high was 30.8. and my average was 29 mpg.

If it would finally warm up a little more I'd go flush and fill the coolant.

Heavy throttle hand?? I can easily get 43-45 mpg on the istate on my fully modded FZ1. Hauling ass on backroads 32-34 ... backroad highways 48-50 mpg ....

The 2009 was rated at I think 32 mpg. Previous Fz1's had higher fuel mileage ratings.

Today, I was hardly a chance to be heavy handed, I was riding with a guy on an Fz6 and only probably go hard on the throttle 2, maybe 3 times.

You also kind of answered my quesiton, I think modding the bike will improve mpg. There is a lot of unburnt fuel in the low rpm's. I think a PCV and an economy map would be the best next move.

I don't mean to sound harsh.. but I'm not understanding why you are so concerned about the mileage.

The cost of a second bike - and the insurance for that second bike - and the upkeep for that second bike - would buy a lot of gallons of gas.

Is this really a matter of economics or is this rather a pursuit - for pursuit's sake?

I think anyone who is maure enough to be able to ride would like to be as fuel efficient as possible, especially now that we are lookig damned close to $4/gal. And, it desn't take a lot of looking to find a nice bike for less than $500 and I was able to do it for $350 and it gets a good 45 mpg. That's not many gallons of gas and it will still top the one ton mark.

I think anyone who is maure enough to be able to ride would like to be as fuel efficient as possible, especially now that we are lookig damned close to $4/gal. And, it desn't take a lot of looking to find a nice bike for less than $500 and I was able to do it for $350 and it gets a good 45 mpg. That's not many gallons of gas and it will still top the one ton mark.

Wow...
Tell us more.

I'm just curious with all the semi-negative posts on this thread about not caring about fuel consumption.

2 reasons I started the thread in the first place:
1. From where I am coming from in understanding the mechanics of internal combustion engines, getting better fuel mileage typically indicates a better running engine. So, if my bike was well below the average for the model year, only a few people commented on checking out issues that may negatively affect fuel consumption.

2. Just because a liter bike has super sport car speed, doesn't mean it needs to chug gas. I was reading up that the R1's actually get better mileage than an Fz1. To me this is crazy, but again if the tune of the motorcycle is better it will be more efficient. Also, I like the fact I get super sport car fun without the price tag or 12 mpg. It makes me feel a little green or eco-friendlier.

The best advice so far came from

Sync the throttle bodies, grease the electric connectors and lastly check the coils and TPS

I did the throttle body sync alone and already noticed an improvement by about 2 MPG. I'm about to bust out the dielectric grease for the connectors, and I'll have to do some research for checking coils and TPS.

Ssky0078:
I am not obsessed with MPG, but I do enjoy studying the design features of different machines, and making comparisons. The mileage I am referring to, is primarily highway mileage. The FZ1 just doesn't quite make sense to me. Here are some thoughts:
* Why do the Gen. I bikes with carburetion, get better mileage than the Gen. II with fuel injection? All other factors seem very equal.
* Other than aerodynamics, how can an R1, with the longer duration camshaft, get better mileage than an FZ1, when ridden easily?
* I've heard other people compare mileage with bikes like a GSXR-1000, even doing better than an FZ1.
* I've experimented with my FZ1, and found that it is about as lean as it can be without stumbling or surging.
* Other bikes I've owned, seem to get better mileage when holding the speed slower and mileage decreases with additional speed. The FZ1 seems flat, almost regardless of speed.
* I have gotten better MPG when running the FZ1 aggressively through curvy roads, on and off the throttle, than when cruising at a constant speed on the highway. This seems to defy logic. Perhaps the fuel is shut off upon deceleration, but I thought that was only above 6,500 RPM, and much of the time I am below that.

I have thought that there must be some additional drag factors for the FZ1 versus other motorcycles. Also, I still question the fuel mapping. There might be an oddity here, however guys like Whittlebeast have gone over this area repeatedly. It still seems like somewhat of a mystery.

I owned a 2009 FZ1, and now a 2008. The '09 got about 1 - 2 MPG better than the '08. I don't have a clue as to why. I do get comparatively good mileage (40) most of the time, compared to many, but I sometimes ride like a grandpa. Maybe that's because I am a grandpa. But not too much of a grandpa, since last weekend I caught myself running some twisties in 4th gear, between 7,000 and 11,000 RPM, whooping and hollering inside my helmet.

Ssky0078:

* Why do the Gen. I bikes with carburetion, get better mileage than the Gen. II with fuel injection? All other factors seem very equal.

From what I understand the fuel control is more evenly balanced throughout all the rev range. Also, I think one motorcycle mechanic mentioned that the Gen 1 had better low end torque (I've not confirmed), which makes sense if you can get up to speed quicker and more efficiently, less fuel is used.

* I've experimented with my FZ1, and found that it is about as lean as it can be without stumbling or surging.

From one review I read the Gen II in particular 2009-2010 they changed the ECU fuel mapping and below 6000-6500 RPM the bike ran a little rich. This is in part why some people complain about the sluggish build up to the 6000 rpm range (I know sluggish isn't the right word but I don't know how to say it other than it's a different beast below 6000 rpm than above 6000 rpm). The other factor to consider is the fifth valve, much like the fifth element is a mystery. I think the fifth valve opens up above 6000 rpm. But I really don't know on this one.

* I have gotten better MPG when running the FZ1 aggressively through curvy roads, on and off the throttle, than when cruising at a constant speed on the highway. This seems to defy logic. Perhaps the fuel is shut off upon deceleration, but I thought that was only above 6,500 RPM, and much of the time I am below that.

Above 6000 RPM the bike is sucking air better and the fuel is more perfectly matched to air coming in giving better combustion. I think what actually happens on deceleration is that when the rpms drop the fuel starts exceeding the air amount needed for complete combustion, hence the need for the AIS to burn off the extra fuel, leading to the popping in the pipe noise.

I have thought that there must be some additional drag factors for the FZ1 versus other motorcycles. Also, I still question the fuel mapping. There might be an oddity here, however guys like Whittlebeast have gone over this area repeatedly. It still seems like somewhat of a mystery.

I know, I'm so getting interested in this mystery. I love puzzles.

But not too much of a grandpa, since last weekend I caught myself running some twisties in 4th gear, between 7,000 and 11,000 RPM, whooping and hollering inside my helmet.

All I have to say is AWESOME. You had to be cooking about 100 mph plus.

MPG was never FZ1's strong trait neither it is for it's competitior like the Z1K or N1K. The supersport engines neutered/detuned for street standards apparently are not as efficient as their SS counterparts. That says something about why engines that are built ground up for specific performance parameters seem to run the most efficient unlike the afterthoughts bolted on to bikes like the FZ1...

The other factor to consider is the fifth valve, much like the fifth element is a mystery. I think the fifth valve opens up above 6000 rpm. But I really don't know on this one.

The 5th valve opens like the others, there is no mystery at all its just an additional valve on the injection side. Its a simple mechanical valve steered by the same camshaft as the others 2 injection valves.

The 5th valve opens like the others, there is no mystery at all its just an additional valve on the injection side. Its a simple mechanical valve steered by the same camshaft as the others 2 injection valves.

I think I got it confused with the things I was reading then, I thought it came open at higher rpms, maybe it was just that the extra fuel it delivered was different at the higher rpms. I dunno.

I agree with Cobalt. I have owned my 08 for one year (today). Its my FIRST RUNNING bike. I think I once did 75mph on an on-ramp in 1st gear. It will be along time before I have the talent to equal the "scare factor" of this bike, so I go all the posted speed limits, shift at 4k rpm and 35-40mpg. Maybe if I had track lessons I would take this thing to 10k rpm once and awhile, but at 59 and a grandfather, it's just not me. Besides, if there is a "chance"of rain, it stays in the garage. Be safe out there.

I agree with Cobalt. I have owned my 08 for one year (today). Its my FIRST RUNNING bike. I think I once did 75mph on an on-ramp in 1st gear. It will be along time before I have the talent to equal the "scare factor" of this bike, so I go all the posted speed limits, shift at 4k rpm and 35-40mpg. Maybe if I had track lessons I would take this thing to 10k rpm once and awhile, but at 59 and a grandfather, it's just not me. Besides, if there is a "chance"of rain, it stays in the garage. Be safe out there.

I wish I had that restraint, I was going 75 slowing to 55 in a 25 when I wrecked the second time. I routinely go 0-triple digits on the on ramps, 1st gear tops out at 84-86 if you're curious and you can feel the power top off for the last 1000 rpms, I like to shift at around 1100 going 75, then top out in 2nd at 106 but again I usually shift around 100 to 3rd and I haven't topped out that gear yet. It's my favorite moment in the morning. Guess who wins this battle. :teeter:

BTW I'd strongly suggest getting StompGrip tank grip/protectors. It makes a huge difference in comfort during hard acceleration or braking. When you're able to use your legs to hold on, it takes the pressure of your arms off the bars and the bike is more stable. Food for thought.

Ssky0078,

Watching you record fuel-ups on Fuelly, I noticed you rarely put more than 2.5 gallons when you fill. Why? It's a 4.8 gallon tank! You're averaging only 80 miles before you stop to fill up :deadhorse:

I wish I had that restraint, I was going 75 slowing to 55 in a 25 when I wrecked the second time. I routinely go 0-triple digits on the on ramps, 1st gear tops out at 84-86 if you're curious and you can feel the power top off for the last 1000 rpms, I like to shift at around 1100 going 75, then top out in 2nd at 106 but again I usually shift around 100 to 3rd and I haven't topped out that gear yet. It's my favorite moment in the morning. Guess who wins this battle. :teeter:

BTW I'd strongly suggest getting StompGrip tank grip/protectors. It makes a huge difference in comfort during hard acceleration or braking. When you're able to use your legs to hold on, it takes the pressure of your arms off the bars and the bike is more stable. Food for thought.

This thread has been a good read. I think the solution to your problem, would be to get a Gen I :p

That said.... Those shift points are insane to me! Granted I've only been riding a couple days, but I think the highest I've gone was 7k (90mph or so in 3rd). As soon as I looked down and realized how fast I was going, I slowed back down. It's absolutely incredible how quick it is. I just want to get out there every day to practice more and more and more. Tomorrow I have to be at school all day and it's breaking my heart :(

Ssky0078,

Watching you record fuel-ups on Fuelly, I noticed you rarely put more than 2.5 gallons when you fill. Why? It's a 4.8 gallon tank! You're averaging only 80 miles before you stop to fill up :deadhorse:

I know but the reason I do it is the the F-Trip turns on just about anytime I put the bike on the side stand after about 85 miles. I don't really trust the gauge so I just go and fill up. If I ignore the F-Trip I can usually get to about 100 miles before it comes I get down to the last block on the fuel gauge, so I definitely fuel up then at between 3.3-3.6 gallons. Also there are a lot of 60-70 mile fuel ups in there because when I go out into the country, the option is fuel up at 60 miles or push my luck to 125-ish. I don't ever want to get stuck and again I don't trust the gauge since the F-trip is always kicking on and off.

I basically assume the worst fuel mileage possible at 25 mpg for a total of 100 miles and then the reserve which I don't want to rely on.

Those shift points qualify as hard riding ... so MPG is a moot point. I would get the same crappy mpg on any bike ....

I guess I just think that if I only do that once or sometimes twice a day, I don't think it should be that big a deal, but I guess you may be right if I suck down a tenth of a gallon each time I do it to travel a quarter mile.

This thread has been a good read. I think the solution to your problem, would be to get a Gen I :p

That said.... Those shift points are insane to me! Granted I've only been riding a couple days, but I think the highest I've gone was 7k (90mph or so in 3rd). As soon as I looked down and realized how fast I was going, I slowed back down. It's absolutely incredible how quick it is. I just want to get out there every day to practice more and more and more. Tomorrow I have to be at school all day and it's breaking my heart :(

I don't do that all the time, now I'm mostly shifting between 9000-1100 rpms if I'm really trying to boogy off the line or on to the freeway. Most highway overtake maneuvers I keep the bike between 5500-8000. Other than that I try to keep the RPMs right around 4500-5500.

Back