How to improve MPG in my 2009?

Ssky...
I think you may be misunderstanding - at least me. I don't think people don't care about gas mileage. It's just that for any one machine design, gas mileage is pretty much in the hands of the person operating the machine. Take the same machine - whether it is a bike or a car or a boat or an airplane - it can be driven gently and get towards the top of its fuel mileage potential or it can be run hard and get toward the bottom of it potential. Same machine.

Example - something I'm familiar with: the military does this with airplanes all the time. An F-16 can suck fuel at the maximum rate of 72,000 lbs per hour in full afterburner - that would be in hard maneuvering - training or combat. IT blows through a lot of gas in this mode and can only do it for a few minutes - remember, it's not very big - doesn't hold all that much gas. But it is also ferried across the Atlantic at a fuel flow rate of approx 1,600 lbs per hour. Big difference! Do you see?
All machines are like this - you see it in the graphical scatter of the mileage data points (the bell shaped curves - normal distributions) in data collections like FUELLY.

I see this in my personal car - it's a Honda Civc SI. The SI is no normal Civic. It has a completely difference engine than all the other Civics - I mean completely - different bore, stroke, size, capacity,... and transmission - 6 speed manual only - versus most Civics being autos and any manuals being 5 speed in the regular civics. So there is much more power available - if you want it.
So -- go to the forums - and the guys are complaining about their awful mileage - like 17 mpg. The scatter is all over the place with guys saying they try to drive softly but can't get better than 18 under any conditions. Well the normal distribution goes all the way up to 40 mpg for this car. And some people report this in the forums.
I average about 32 mpg - depending on what I am doing- highest was 37 mpg. The point is - it depends on how it is driven --- and some of these guys are incapable of driving the car softly - even when they think they are. They get in the car - pedal to the metal! Can't help it - think that is the way to drive. Then they complain about tires lasting 22,000 miles - and clutches going out.
It's amazing to me - the lack of thought that goes into these guys perceptions. I bought mine new - still have the same tires - at 62,000 miles - wear bars no where near.
It's all on how a machine is driven - each one is capable of the same thing.
Your description of your driving is - to me - hard driving. And I might add - to me - a little scary.

Any mods you make are going to make little mpg difference - and the difference for any set of mods could be in either direction - either more usage or less usage. But performance oriented mods usually increase fuel usage - because the object is to get more power out of the machine. That almost always comes by using more gas - gas is where the energy comes from.

So it's not that we are indifferent to gas mileage - it's just that you are dealing with a machine set-up for power - it has it's basic fuel usage characteristics - and "your actual mileage -- may vary". According to the driver.
It is what it is.

Thanks lindy for explaining that. I didn't realize it could make such a difference. Most of my cars I've always been able to keep within 1-3 mpg within the manufacturers EPA estimate fuel mileage regardless of driving style. That difference in the F16 mileage is crazy and got the point across.

I know it may seem like I ride a little scary but I always leave an out and don't do anything that would put another driver/rider at risk (basically I try to stay in open space).

SSky:
Your description below is not the way to get good gas mileage:

"I don't do that all the time, now I'm mostly shifting between 9000-1100 rpms if I'm really trying to boogy off the line or on to the freeway. Most highway overtake maneuvers I keep the bike between 5500-8000. Other than that I try to keep the RPMs right around 4500-5500".

Instead, shift between 2,500 to 4,000 RPM, with a very gentle throttle. Keep the RPM below 4,000 RPM until you reach highway speed. Pass using 6th gear and a gentle amount of throttle.

"I know it may seem like I ride a little scary but I always leave an out and don't do anything that would put another driver/rider at risk (basically I try to stay in open space)".
Very well for another driver, but what about yourself? Sorry to keep harping on this, but dude, I worry about you. Talk to yourself. Do not say that you have no restraint. Tell yourself repeatedly that you can, and do ride conservatively and safely. And then do it.

As pointed-out – with redline being 75 or 80 in 1st-gear – I have neither the opportunity nor desire to go that fast on my surface-street-commute. Also pointed-out – fuel mileage is MOSTLY controlled by the operator. One rule-of-thumb: the less brake you use, the better mileage you’ll get.

My normal shift point (on flat ground) is roughly 3500-4000. When I have the chance and am feeling “racy” (lol) I’ll blast it up 9k or so – but honesty, that does not happen often. So… my “easy” riding style nets me 39-45mpg on my stock ’06.

Are you running Premium fuel? That will slightly hurt your mileage also...

This is true. Premium fuel has more knock inhibitors in it. As a result it has less "pure gasoline" per gallon - - due to dilution of the knock inhibitors. So it has less energy per gallon.
If your machine - whatever it is - car, bike, boat motor, ... does not require premium to control knocking (and that is premium's entire purpose) then you should not use it. It costs more and it has less energy - and you will get a lower mpg. Losing - all the way around.
Sorry about being so ..... It's just that I am an engineer and this stuff has been my career - so-to-speak.

This is true. Premium fuel has more knock inhibitors in it. As a result it has less "pure gasoline" per gallon - - due to dilution of the knock inhibitors. So it has less energy per gallon.
If your machine - whatever it is - car, bike, boat motor, ... does not require premium to control knocking (and that is premium's entire purpose) then you should not use it. It costs more and it has less energy - and you will get a lower mpg. Losing - all the way around.
Sorry about being so ..... It's just that I am an engineer and this stuff has been my career - so-to-speak.

So do you get less PERFORMANCE with premium? Or less mileage? I never thought that premium would be less beneficial...

SSky:
Your description below is not the way to get good gas mileage:

Instead, shift between 2,500 to 4,000 RPM, with a very gentle throttle. Keep the RPM below 4,000 RPM until you reach highway speed. Pass using 6th gear and a gentle amount of throttle.
Sorry to keep harping on this, but dude, I worry about you. Talk to yourself. Do not say that you have no restraint. Tell yourself repeatedly that you can, and do ride conservatively and safely. And then do it.

I'll try those shift ranges. And I do have self restraint, most of the time, and when I do something that is a little on the edge, it is a very calculate risk and I leave myself safety outs.

Everything Ssky0078 posts is hilarious these days :funpost:

I know you like the funny posts, I do put a little flare on them for entertainment value.

Ssky0078, Are you related to Hunter Scout?

Who is he? and should I be?

Wow, I had no idea that is what happened with premium. I just thought if you used the regular the bike would run rougher. I'll try a few tanks of regular. And lindy I appreciate all the posts. I'm a doctor and do a lot of stuff in a semi-scientific exploration, so I get where you are coming from in what you say a lot of time. I mean one of the reasons I post these threads and take in everything the awesome forum members have to say is to broaden my understanding. I also go out there and test the idea out. :angel:

A vehicle that does not require premium to control knocking (the manufacturer does not require it - by labeling) actually gets less performance when using premium.
Premium is not "better" gasoline. It simply has more anti-knock compounds in it. And it burns more slowly due to those anti-knock compounds. That is how knock is controlled - by slowing down combustion. Knocking is a far too rapid flame front advance across the top of the piston - like an uncontrolled explosion , almost. It can damage the piston if it continues. To stop it - the gas companies put additives in the gas to slow down combustion.

"Regular" gas actually burns more rapidly. And if an engine can take that - is designed for that rapid burning - it actually makes more power than when the slower burning gas (with additives) - the "premium" gas.

Then you may ask yourself - why do some high performance engines require premium gas - anti-knock (slower burning gas is what they actually require).
Some high performance engines have very high compression ratios and their combustion chambers have not been designed to try to control the rapid burning -- simple solution the designers use is to require anti-knock gas. It is a simple solution because people have already been psychologically conditioned to "want" premium gas. And the older cars - from the 1960's on up, that were high performance, all required anti-knock gas - because the engineers had not figured out how to design away from the destructive knocking.

One very popular thing that is done now-days to control knocking is to put knock sensors on the engine block. The engine control computer then monitors for knocking. When it senses beginning of knocking, it changes the mixture and ignition to avoid the knocking. Other design things are combustion chamber shaping, ...

All in all --- engines that are not designed to require "premium" gas should not use it. It burns more slowly than the engine was designed for - and there is a slightly less energy per gallon. So performance will be lower and gas mileage will be less when using "premium". and you will be poorer - thinking you are buying "better" gas. It is not better. It is not cleaner. It has no engine cleaner additives, etc ....

Ssky - I appreciate the thought.
And I, too, am concerned about your riding style.

On the stuff I'm sending out - to everyone. I understand that there is a lot of mis-information on the internet. There are many who "make stuff up". If you question the stuff - and you should - because everyone is suspect - please research the stuff on your own. At least go to Google. Use the terms and explanations I've given as starting points - and see for your self.
It is difficult to simply in a very brief explanation how some of this stuff works. My explantations are not perfect due to their simplification. I feel a little apologetic about that.
Myself - I've spent many years in engineering schools and even more in a varied engineering career.

Last edited:
I gave myself a little reality check last night. I pulled in to the gas station to see this from the previous poor bastard that was there before me. :jaw drop:

View attachment 13271

Then I filled up The Beast:shine:

View attachment 13270

Granted I do this about 3-4 times a week. But, I'm still gonna do a weeks worth of regular to test out how the bike runs on it. Does anybody else dislike Shell gasoline? I seem to get rougher engine vibration and noise when I use them.

The main differences in gasoline brands are the additives. Realize that when you stop at your local Shell – you could actually be filling-up with gasoline refined by Chevron, or visa-versa, or a combination there of including dozens of refineries. (There’s no way to keep the gas from different refineries completely segregated in the pipeline.) But when a fuel truck picks-up it’s load for Shell – it is indeed mixed with Shell’s additives. (For Example: Chevron’s Techron. You may get a "mixed-load" of gasoline - but it WILL contain the Techron additive.)

Also worth note is that Shell is a “Top Tier” gasoline that meets those “Top Tier” requirements. (Not all brands are “Top Tier.”)

Bottom line – if your vehicle seems to run “rough” on a particular brand, it’s more likely it’s the way the gas is/was stored at that particular station (possible moisture or “dirty tanks”), how it was transported, or for whatever reason your engine does not “like” the additives.

I personally like Shell and Chevron – and usually fill-up there. But if not convenient, I’ll hit a Valero, Texaco or whatever. The main thing I try to do is fill-up at busy stations, where the gas gets turned-over frequently...

gas mileage

I have a 2008 and check gas mileage regularly. I get between 33 and 38 mpg consistently. My riding buddy has a 2008 also..he usually gets between 40-42 mpg...which I can only attribute to riding style because we both have about the same few mod to the bikes. If I was only getting 28 mpg I think I'd be concerned something wasn't quite right. It might be work having a tech synchronize your throttle bodies. I tried to do it myself with my vacuum gauges and they turned out to be not accurate once the dealer put his high-dollar electronic gauges on it.

gas mileage

...one other thing...when I first got the bike I started using 93 Octane fuel...and my mileage was 28-30....when I switched to regular 87 Octane it actually improved 33-38 mpg and the performance was good. These bikes run great on regular gas..I think using higher Octane gas is wasting money.

People think they are somehow treating their bike "better" by using Premium. If the manufacturer does not require it you are simply wasting your money. There is absolutely ZERO advantage to premium on a Gen II. It was engineered for regular octane gas.

Ok, just an update.

In town I stopped caring about mileage since I do get caught in my fair share of traffic and like to zip around it as much possible. So, I tend to keep the RPM's up and stay in 2nd or 3rd most often. I've been getting from 25-27mpg.

When I go out on longer rides I just get between 31-35 mpg. I did 134 miles without stopping yesterday. There was some 25-40 mph (20 miles worth pretty much all in first gear) twisty sections and then super slab 65-80 mph sections (all in 6th except dropping to 4th to pass). I got 35.9 mpg according to fuelly, my best yet.

There has been a new issue that has developed in the last 500 miles. If I ride with the rpm between 3000-4000 I get a surging that takes place somewhere in the middle. I have no change in throttle position but the bike will surge and coast, surge and coast. If I get the rpms over 4000 it's not really a problem and most of the time if I'm cornering I have the rpm up between 6000-7000 so no worries about the surge killing me there

edit: just to clarify for what I said about "zipping in traffic" before I get jumped on for being dangerous. I tend to push my way through the crowds to get to the front and maintain a healthy safety cushion. I consider it being aggressive/defensive driving.

Last edited:
This sounds fairly typical to me...

In town I stopped caring about mileage since I do get caught in my fair share of traffic and like to zip around it as much possible. So, I tend to keep the RPM's up and stay in 2nd or 3rd most often. I've been getting from 25-27mpg.

When I go out on longer rides I just get between 31-35 mpg. I did 134 miles without stopping yesterday. There was some 25-40 mph (20 miles worth pretty much all in first gear) twisty sections and then super slab 65-80 mph sections (all in 6th except dropping to 4th to pass). I got 35.9 mpg according to fuelly, my best yet.

Ok, just an update.

There has been a new issue that has developed in the last 500 miles. If I ride with the rpm between 3000-4000 I get a surging that takes place somewhere in the middle. I have no change in throttle position but the bike will surge and coast, surge and coast. If I get the rpms over 4000 it's not really a problem and most of the time if I'm cornering I have the rpm up between 6000-7000 so no worries about the surge killing me there

edit: just to clarify for what I said about "zipping in traffic" before I get jumped on for being dangerous. I tend to push my way through the crowds to get to the front and maintain a healthy safety cushion. I consider it being aggressive/defensive driving.

Ah yes, the Fizzer gremlins attack! there was a thread on the other site, try googling "damn surging continues.." and you should find a lengthy thread on this. I occasionally get a little of this problem. These bikes are very well engineered but if anything, I mean anything is even slightly off, it gets all wackadoo... I plan to adjust my TPS and when I have her opened up, I am going to go through all of the scenarios described in that thread.

As for "zipping in traffic"... yeah I hear you. I do the same, once I'm in the open and relaxed I back off but i can't deal with being stuck in a pack of cars, for any reason.

BOT.... aftermarket headers are getting me a few more MPG's :smokin2:

Ok, just an update.

35 - 36 was the best I ever got on my 09.

Back