Ivan's Reflash?

My dilema is, Im looking for a 'plug n play' solution.

Im not into playing around with my bikes, I prefer to spend my time riding them.
All I want tuning wise is to stop it riding like an asthmatic cow under 7k rpm. I do distance riding so Im not looking for a supertuned bike either.

This is what the ECU company are offering, your opinions please...

Customize your own tune file. Possible ECU modifications:

* Remove factory timing retard
* Remove throttle restrictions
* Increased idle
* Increased rev limiter
* Remove speed limiters (gear dependent)
* Reduce excessive engine braking/improved deceleration
* Improved throttle control & reaction
* Remove injector shut-off on deceleration
* Eliminate factory “error codes” **
(removing the exhaust servo motor * O2 sensors * steering dampers * pair valve AIS system)
* Improved fuel maps
* Improved ignition maps
* Injector phasing adjustment* velocity stack switching adjustment (variable stacks only)

Matt,

YOU need to decide what solution is best for you. As Eric said there are basically two flashes; Ivan and non-Ivan. The difference is the "non-Ivan" adjusts the fuel map in addition to other parameters.

Two, maybe three years ago now I had ECUnleashed flash my '06 FZ1. The difference is simply stunning.

When we put the bike on the dyno, (everyone either 1) has forgotten, or 2) doesn't believe me) we found that with the ECUnleashed flash a Power Commander is not required. The difference between the flash and potential Power Commander trim settings was one point on direction or the other. In other words, not enough to bother with.

Personally, the AT dot thing is pissing in the dark.

I'm not being rude with this next statement but, "STOP what you are doing as you don't understand and are wasting money." Go ride your bike.

Followed the flashing progress for the FZ1 for a while now. About 50% that got a flash from someone other than Ivan were happy....... The other 50% ........NOT SO HAPPY ! ( and I think less than 10- 15 guys reported )

Have not seen one single person with a negative review for Ivans Flash !!! 95% of the reviews guys are making it sound like the best thing since sliced bread . ( and its a lot more than 15 guys reporting )

I know who's getting my business soon :tup:

With special thanks to Ivan's support, the idle and sync are now spot-on. I wish the service manual told you how to sort this out. Ivan's advice? Done in 20 minutes. She's spot-on.... perfect!

Time to fully enjoy the ride and oh boy will I!

Matt, Ivan's is a plug and play... plug in the ECU, plug in the power commander, load the map, and do the adjustments you would have to do regardless of the flash by setting the TPS, min/max and idle. Done! Ride with the impression you're a helluva lot closer to that R1 than ever before. :tup:

Any additional tips he provided beyond his instructions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not being rude with this next statement but, "STOP what you are doing as you don't understand and are wasting money." Go ride your bike.

I agree!

Im trying not to waste any money.
Plan 1 was FCE (which I have returned now), PCV, filter and dyno time but that would cost more than plan 2, Flashed ECU, Ivans or otherwise.

Just asking lots of questions before I actually commit or waste my hard earned cash!

My dilema is just an ECU flash or take the conventional tuning route which involves a lot of playing around.

As you gents have a vast wealth of experience, I figured I would just get as many opinions as possible before I decide.

Sorry for coming across as a numpty but Ive never had to mess with my previous bikes as they were all fast out of the box.

Any additional tips he provided beyond his instructions?

Outside of the TB sync, the rest was what we've got in the thread on the other site along with his stickied items.

I made a new thread, with Ivan's recommendation, for the TB Sync explaining his method and it was very easy to do. http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-tech/18874-throttle-body-sync-diy.html

It makes the sync easier because with the one screw, you can balance 2 & 3 which are the two hardest to get to brass screws. Then adjust 1 & 4 using their brass screws. I'm going to better document the process on Michele's bike and take lots of photos along the way. Since no one has a full photo documented DIY for the sync that I've been able to find, I hope it will be helpful to many going forward.

I'm bumming today.... rain all day, then tomorrow I am traveling for work and won't be home until Wed. night. Thursday is the next time I get to ride. Friday and Sat are planned out with no riding but Monday through Friday of next week is ALL riding! Vacation. :D

I agree!

Im trying not to waste any money.
Plan 1 was FCE (which I have returned now), PCV, filter and dyno time but that would cost more than plan 2, Flashed ECU, Ivans or otherwise.

Just asking lots of questions before I actually commit or waste my hard earned cash!

My dilema is just an ECU flash or take the conventional tuning route which involves a lot of playing around.

As you gents have a vast wealth of experience, I figured I would just get as many opinions as possible before I decide.

Sorry for coming across as a numpty but Ive never had to mess with my previous bikes as they were all fast out of the box.

Well, this bike IS fast, but you're used to much faster bikes. :D I can understand. As Super Googan said, the other flash has mixed reviews from a few handfuls of people. Ivan is approaching 100 riders soon (I was serial #00076) and I cannot find anyone who has a complaint about it. So long as you get a few other settings correct, and it's not more than a day's work (unless you make a mistake like I did). If I were there Matt, I'd do it all for you for a couple pints, just because I love to wrench.

PCV, Ivan's Flash... mod the airbox and throw on the BMC or K&N, load the map, set the idle, set the TPS (two security TORX #25 screws) to 0.640, set the min/max for the throttle in the software... Easy. Ride like a mad-man!

Damn TPS

Set my TPS on the weekend. very fiddly little bugger. Set it at .645 when I buttoned everything down and rechecked, it was showing .640 still ok. Went for a ride and not getting the results. Check it again this afternoon and its showing .635? Will pull it all apart tomorrow and reset it. This time I will actuate the throttle a couple of times and be 100% before closing up.

Set my TPS on the weekend. very fiddly little bugger. Set it at .645 when I buttoned everything down and rechecked, it was showing .640 still ok. Went for a ride and not getting the results. Check it again this afternoon and its showing .635? Will pull it all apart tomorrow and reset it. This time I will actuate the throttle a couple of times and be 100% before closing up.

Were you watching the temps when you set it Blanchy? Be as close to 170 degrees as possible when you make the adjustment. 0.640 is the optimal but 0.64# is acceptable. Oh, and you have the air pressure sensor still plugged in, correct?

When you're done, to be sure, get into DIAG mode with the kill switch on (no run position) and scroll down to d61 to see if there's any error codes. If there are (after you button up), move to d62 and flip the kill switch to off/run position for 5 seconds to clear all codes. Then test ride and see where you're at.

I found the same thing after a ride I'm going to have to redo it when I have time, even though I have not got it spot on yet my fuel consumption has dropped from 10L/100km after flash to 7.5kmL/100km so it has been a big improvement I'd like it a bit better but maybe that will take a custom map or more restrained throttle use. I am still getting a little bit of popping on decel even after adding more fuel than Ivan does at 0% but I have it to the point where it does not bother me, strange I am the only one who has this problem.

I think part of people consuming more fuel is the added excitement... it's hard to restrain the throttle hand now. It's so smooth up through the range that it's hard to judge speed now. The bike used to have tell-tale signs of what gear, RPM and speed you were at. Now I have to figure that all out or watch the speedo more. I find 80 -95 is far to easy to achieve without realizing it.

Keep us informed Blanchy. When I mentioned the erratic reading from my TPS, it was doing this because of the TB sync being so out of whack and causing the bike to get very hot, very fast! Now that the sync is correct, I'm steady at the Ivan-recommended 0.640.

Anxious to get back out on her!

Keep in mind that heat soak after a ride will effect the TPS sensor.

I THINK Ivan wants the TPS checked at his specified coolant temp from a cold start/cold engine.

My point being if you go for a ride and check the TPS setting an hour or so later it may not read they same as after a cold start when the bike has been sitting over night. Even if the coolant temp is the same.

I was looking through an old bike magazine yesterday in which they recorded an average fuel consumption of 7.3l/100km on a standard bike so I think I can accept that the 7.5 I am getting on fairly spirited rides is actually pretty good considering the extent of modifications done.

I was looking through an old bike magazine yesterday in which they recorded an average fuel consumption of 7.3l/100km on a standard bike so I think I can accept that the 7.5 I am getting on fairly spirited rides is actually pretty good considering the extent of modifications done.

OK, for reference, I converted your numbers...

7.5 liters/100 km = 31.3619444 miles/gallon(US)

I usually get 32 mpg with very hard riding and around 40 mpg with very easy riding and average about 36 mpg. My engine, exhaust and intake are stock.

40 miles/gallon(US) = 5.8803646 liters/100 km
36 miles/gallon(US) = 6.5337384 liters/100 km

Thanks for doing the conversion. I know on a cruise I think I could get to 6.5L/100km or even better but don't know if I can be that restrained. Thinking about buying another bike like a Harley or a Victory for cruising and maybe some touring.

I should give a M109R a try they look so huge though. I'm wanting to get something with a nimble feel so I don't want something with a fashion statement fat back tire. A low centre of gravity, rear tire 180 or under and no lounge chair forward controls is what I'm after.

Back