Congrats on the new ride Brad! I have test ridden the Speed Triple and liked it a lot. In terms of pure speed some of the other European brands are faster, but there is just something unique about that bike. I too will be getting a new bike soon. The FZ1 will be sold for an FJ-09. It's a better light tourer, which is what I'm after.

Seems some of us are going through a change of what we need in 2 wheels, I do miss that Fz1 acceleration, A RUSH.. Good luck in your travels, I hope you've found it now. And this cracked me up. ( The main reason I did not get an FZ1 again is because that would be counter to my goal of owning one of every bike ever made ).

First, nice ride Brad!

Second, I agree with Dustin. While the FZ-09 (among other FZ#) is a great bike, Yamaha does not have a lot going for it in terms of high-end parts. Yamaha tends to put in "adequate" parts so lower the price point and sell more bikes. That leaves us to buy the tricks and install them. Now, the reason I would still buy a Yamaha today is maintenance (or the lack thereof...) because outside of the Japanese bikes, most have a more frequent maintenance schedule. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to park a Triple next to the FZ1, or if I had a Triple, I'd trade the FZ1 for an FJR or Connie and do serious touring.

Can't wait to see it Brad!

-Eric

Why you are worried about anything other than oil changes? You don't put that many miles on your bikes anyway.

And Congrats on the speedie! Its a hoot. There is something about these triples that makes me keep my Daytona. Character and their own quirks. Not reliable but the most reliable Euro brand for sure. Having a itch for a new bike this year. S1000R if I can score it below 10k or a Tuono V4 for around 7k.

Why you are worried about anything other than oil changes? You don't put that many miles on your bikes anyway.

What do you know of my miles? Outside of the last two years due to renovations, moving and work, I've averaged 11k miles on every bike in our short New England seasons. This time next week, I'm in TX with one season.

Well 3 seasons: spring, fall and so freaking hot you will think about putting the bike up for two months but won't.

Here in N-W Florida, it probably does not get quite as hot as in Texas because we are on the coast, but we do have routine over 90 F with over 90 % humidity in the summer. In my opinion, what makes riding more difficult when it's hot is the traffic lights. My commute is 12 miles with 6 traffic lights, and only one takes a long time, so I am not stopped very much and it is enjoyable. Last summer I rode without the full gear (helmet, jeans, gloves and boots, but no jacket), probably not a good idea, so I bought a mesh jacket that I will try this year.
I am also lucky that my FZ1 is not as hot as some bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in N-W Florida, it probably does not get quite as hot as in Texas because we are on the coast, but we do have routine over 90 F with over 90 % humidity in the summer. In my opinion, what makes riding more difficult when it's hot is the traffic lights. My commute is 12 miles with 6 traffic lights, and only one takes a long time, so I am not stopped very much and it is enjoyable. Last summer I rode without the full gear (helmet, jeans, gloves and boots, but no jacket), probably not a good idea, so I bought a mesh jacket that I will try this year.
I am also lucky that my FZ1 is not as hot as some bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The summer in Houston gets up to 102 and 98% humidity. It can be miserable. As long as I am on a bike and moving I can live with it. :). I will still bitch about it.

So, got a bike review for us yet? :)

Put about 120 miles on it. Hoping to get on some nice curvy roads Saturday. I miss this kind of power. It has about the same HP as my Gen2 FZ1 did but more torque. The engine is dreamy much like my Tiger's triple. Incredibly smooth and linear power. I just love the triple engines. Of course the brembo brakes have plenty of stoping power and the Ohlins suspension keep the rubber on the pavement. Now I just need to spend some time thrashing it from side to side down a nice road. :). Hopefully with Morgstang Saturday.

And in your blue suit I bet, I was in shorts and T-shit and Nikes, 2 gals in our group checked out for a bit. 1 was riding, pulled over and fell off her bike TKO. The other was a passenger and checked out. Was BAD, Made the coast at 11:00 P.M. and found rain. Any how have fun on that new Bike Sir.

Look closely at the first two photos in this thread of my Speed Triple. Notice anything missing on the rear connection to the dog bone? I put 2,000 miles on the bike without it. Thank god Eric saw it.

Back