Pyro's Twisted Texas Tour '11

I forgot to mention a story from our trip.
We fell in behind 2 riders on the last run of the day (a BMW & a Harley - LOL - yes a Harley - and these dudes could drive). We started talking to them at Campwood where everyone fills up with gas and eventually started speaking to everyone else at the station, including a group of Vmax riders. Everyone was really friendly and very talkative. One of the Vmax riders came over and told us that he was at 98K miles on his bike. That is amazing!!! His bike looked great and I don't think he is going to stop at 100K. LOL

Last edited:
It's name really is "River Road. Here is a map.

6037d1303571170-pyros-twisted-texas-tour-11-river-road.jpg

While you are out there make a right on 2673 at the end and go have some BBQ at Daisy Dukes. Just about 2 miles down on the right when you get to 306. And PLEASE take some photos! We did not have our heads on straight enough to do that. ;)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention a story from our trip.
We fell in behind 2 riders on the last run of the day (a BMW & a Harley - LOL - yes a Harley - and these dudes could drive). We started talking to them at Campwood where everyone fills up with gas and eventually started speaking to everyone else at the station, including a group of Vmax riders. Everyone was really friendly and very talkative. One of the Vmax riders came over and told us that he was at 98K miles on his bike. That is amazing!!! His bike looked great and I don't think he is going to stop at 100K. LOL

Every group we met was friendly. Including that group at 41 & 336 where that younger kid wiped out in front of us. Everyone kept coming over asking Jeff what that thing was on the front of his bike. I can't believe so many have never seen a GoPro.

I WILL have some videos posted soon - I haven't had time to get them edited and posted but I have at least some or all of all three legs (and 41 which was by mistake! LOL)

I also have a great river road vid that worked out very well.

I've got 337 once with Popular Jock and once with Hail leading.

335 going south complete with no traffic!

Can't wait to have these ready to post.

If you are going with your wife DON'T go to Daisy Dukes! lol

I didn't see it but Rachelle did and didn't say a thing.

The ride was so-so today. River Road was packed today, there are a zillion campers there. And in the 20 mph zone they were driving 15. :cuss:

Oh well, at least we got out.

Those vids are not THAT bad Brad! Loved 'em! But a clip will help. Is your camera the 1080p HD model? With the new firmware, you have "Upside-Down" mode and can mount the camera under anything. I'm considering a clip under the front fairing somehow. :D

Hey Brad. If you look at where I put the Red Arrow, you can see where I put my forward GoPro mount. It is a great place and take nice vibrationless video there. Just mount the camera with the lowest (flatest) mount and you'll be good to go! You just have to set the camera in the settings for "upside down" operation.

IMG_09392563.jpg

I didn't see it but Rachelle did and didn't say a thing.

The ride was so-so today. River Road was packed today, there are a zillion campers there. And in the 20 mph zone they were driving 15. :cuss:

Oh well, at least we got out.

We were lucky. Both days we road down RR it was a weekday. We have been down there before when it was packed. I hope you at least thought it was pretty.

Those vids are not THAT bad Brad! Loved 'em! But a clip will help. Is your camera the 1080p HD model? With the new firmware, you have "Upside-Down" mode and can mount the camera under anything. I'm considering a clip under the front fairing somehow. :D

Hey Brad. If you look at where I put the Red Arrow, you can see where I put my forward GoPro mount. It is a great place and take nice vibrationless video there. Just mount the camera with the lowest (flatest) mount and you'll be good to go! You just have to set the camera in the settings for "upside down" operation.

IMG_09392563.jpg

I just mounted one to my fairing like so. It is about half as long as it was on the suction cup boom and more stable at the base than the suction cup.

6046d1303688058-pyros-twisted-texas-tour-11-photo1.jpg

6047d1303688058-pyros-twisted-texas-tour-11-photo2.jpg

I toyed with the idea of doing it upside down under the upper cowl but it only gives me about 1/2" of travel in the suspension before the front fender hits it. That is as short as I can get it with the mounts I have now.

It looks good Brad. I just didn't think you would want to place the mount out in the open. Is your front end lowered? I'm only asking because I'm up in the tubes about 4 to 5mm's and have no issues with clearance on the fender. There is a flat mount that has a more forward bend to it which if you turn it around backwards, it actually brings the camera forward even more giving even more room. Anyhow, with the way you have it now, you should be okay. I know that my suction mount also vibrated, and actually snapped of during a ride with Tony and the boys up at Greenwood Lake. I'll have to find the video of that one to post. It was wild. I almost lost the camera but it fell forward onto the fairing insert! Lucky me!

I really did not want the mount on the front of my bike. At least it is black and so is the paint up there. The best thing about placing it where it is is that I can start/stop at will while driving long stretches.

There is another mount I can order that I think will be great for mounting under the upper cowl.
Helmet Front Mount - GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

I may just order the grab bag of mounts....

Your right Brad. I always have to pull over to turn the camera off which is a pain because I then have to edit that out of the video. Maybe though it should be on the clutch side so your not off the gas when you shut it down.

Here's the video Brad. This was the suction mount on the tank. You could see how crappy the video was, one because of the vibration, and two, because the weather was so damp it fogged up the lens. Just click to 2:45 into the video to see what happened. Keep in mind that the suction part stayed in place. It actually snapped the mounting arm in half. Thats why I don't trust that kind of mount. I used to have a cable attached to the camera and then to the handlebars just in case. That particular day I didn't use it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwXtnDNtUyg"]YouTube - Sunday Ride Part III On The Yamahas Route 106[/ame]

Last edited:
My mount is in the center of the windscreen, towards the bottom, works great.

The suction cup works great - Here's 145ish at Willow Springs with it mounted on the outside of my fairing on the 1125R.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxilibyVZ1Q]YouTube - Willow Springs[/ame]

This is the suction cup on the top of my tank.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CotOVizv4Y"]YouTube - TWS 04102011 L2[/ame]

Side note: the other mount provided by GP (not the suction cup) broke today and my camera took a 50 mph header...

Last edited:
Back