What did you do to your FZ today?

This is actually over the past couple of weeks since I purchased my bike, so I'll play catch-up:
-frame sliders
-fender eliminator kit
-first break-in oil change at 150 miles
-bought Yamaha tire repair kit to store under seat
-ordered Top Saddlery seats
-TheTankslapper.biz tank protection kit

Tuesday - Rode 250 Miles to VA and put on 2 new tires.
Wednesday - Rode ~300 miles back to NC
Thursday - Looked at the bike and thought about how sore I was...
Friday - Changed the oil and rode to work and back.

Went for a nice ride with my sister this afternoon, about 50 miles or so. About 6 miles from home my engine started missing. Inspected when I got home and the far right cylinder (when on the bike) had a "cool" header pipe. Exhaust also smelt like raw gas. If anybody has any ideas (gonna check the plug first) feel free to visit this thread in the tech forum.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-garage-tech-help/8468-engine-missing.html#post40226

Judging by the fact that you had a "cool" header pipe, combustion is not taking place in that cylinder. The smell of raw gas is coming from fuel being injected into that cylinder but not ignited. This means you need to check the ignition system. My first guess would be a dead ignition coil, but a damaged or completely fouled spark plug is another (slight) possibility. Good luck!

John & I replaced the OEM suspension link with a Soupy's lowering link. Instead of being on my tip toes, I gained at least an inch to inch & a half! Now just waiting on the seat I bought from Johnnylane to shave that down a little....then zoom zoom!

SOUPY'S MOTORCYCLE LOWERING KITS, HONDA LOWERING, KAWASAKI LOWERING, YAMAHA LOWERING, SUZUKI LOWERING, TRIUMPH LOWERING, SPEED TRIPLE LOWERING, STREET TRIPLE LOWERING, GSXR LOWERING LINK, GSXR LOWERING KIT, RAISING LINKS, RISER LINK, KAWASAKI ZX14 LO

Last edited:
I moved it to the driveway so I could have my son start sanding three pieces of furniture for the house. Now I need to go service the chain and adjust it. Then, I need to add lengths of wires to the stock signals with quick connects so I can swap them out for the Copperdog pods and begin repairing those. :D

This is isn't so much for the bike, but related to making my time on it more enjoyable... I bought a Shoei RF-1000 helmet that is ten times more comfortable than the Scorpion EXO 700 that I was using!

This is isn't so much for the bike, but related to making my time on it more enjoyable... I bought a Shoei RF-1000 helmet that is ten times more comfortable than the Scorpion EXO 700 that I was using!

I have an EXO 700 myself and have been thinking about upgrading to an RF-1000 (great prices on closeout) or an RF-1100.

I have an EXO 700 myself and have been thinking about upgrading to an RF-1000 (great prices on closeout) or an RF-1100.

I HIGHLY recommend making the switch, or at least going to a local store and trying a Shoei helmet on if you have this option. I went to a local motorcycle shop today and tried on a number of helmets, including the Scorpion EXO 1000 (which seemed to fit my head even worse than the EXO 700) and the Shoei RF-1000 and RF-1100. The two Shoeis were equally comfortable, but the RF-1000 was under $300 on clearance and the RF-1100 was close to $500 IIRC, so I just couldn't justify the price difference. It's hard to explain how much better the Shoei feels, it slips right onto my head into the "perfect" position, whereas I always have to shift the Scorpion up and down for it to be somewhat comfortable and it just never seemed to fit the shape of my head well.

Went for a couple hour ride with my bestie who is a beginner rider..had a blast on Highway 34, very little
Traffic and all farmland. Except for being pelted with dinosaur sized grasshoppers, one lightning fast armadillo (snicker) and a pack of escapee goats, it was very enjoyable. :)

Went for a couple hour ride with my bestie who is a beginner rider..had a blast on Highway 34, very little
Traffic and all farmland. Except for being pelted with dinosaur sized grasshoppers, one lightning fast armadillo (snicker) and a pack of escapee goats, it was very enjoyable. :)

AH! Country Life! How can ya beat that?! I love it!

Today while waiting for paint to dry, I serviced the chain with a thorough cleaning and fresh chain wax. I adjusted the chain to spec after cleaning. I changed the oil and filter. I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic this time as it was only $2 more than the Rotella. She's ready for riding!

I put 130 miles on it showing my buddy on his 02 Honda RC51 some sweet countryish roads around Connecticut.

Had a blast. 150 more miles and I will have to clean and lube the chain agian.. Man, ive had the bike just over a month and already put on 1685 miles lol. Gotta love this thing!

Installed my CF heel guard plates. As it's typical of these I had to elongate the holes on the right side one to make it fit properly. Also I had to file the back of them down a little bit so they would sit flush. There was a bit of extra resin on them. Nothing a file couldn't fix :D At least the price was right ;)

Installed my CF heel guard plates. As it's typical of these I had to elongate the holes on the right side one to make it fit properly. Also I had to file the back of them down a little bit so they would sit flush. There was a bit of extra resin on them. Nothing a file couldn't fix :D At least the price was right ;)

Did you get these from Bestem? If so the photos of the guards are from my bike. :) I had to elongate the holes and file down the back side to get them flush. Not a perfect fit but more than good enough for me.

Did you get these from Bestem? If so the photos of the guards are from my bike. :) I had to elongate the holes and file down the back side to get them flush. Not a perfect fit but more than good enough for me.

No, I got these on eBay from a seller named mcmotoparts from Hong Kong (no surprise there). I payed about $35 shipped for them, which was the best price I could find.

Nice add-on Tony! I was considering those as I had seen them before but questioned the quality vs. the price. I'd even considered making my own but CF sheets are expensive!

I'm going to attempt to get a lot of the parts into PC this winter when I can dismantle and not worry about riding. ;)

Got two new Bridgestone battlax 003rs tyres put on the bike. Couldnt test em out because I have to get back to work and it was raining. New tyres and rain dont mix well from passed experences. Havent stacked it but know its bloody slippery. lol

Installed my Devilsyam Frame Plugs.

DSCF3554.JPG

Back