Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windshield

Old School,
I have an '05. How tall from base to top is the Sport Touring model? I have an after market (don't know what brand) that's 14.5" tall. I'm interested in the ZG ST but want to make sure it's taller than what I already have. From some reason th ZG site does not list any measurements.

My bike is an 08, Gen 2 so it would not be the same as the screen for your 05. I have not measured it end to end, but it is about 4" taller than the stock clear shield (from the "dash"). It curves back at the same angle so it doesn't impede your forward view. I have used it in near zero degrees and it blocks the wind without causing any buffetting of the helmet. Very nicely engineered.

ZG told me the Gen II ST is about 4" taller and 3" wider (total width). I'll get mine next month and measure it to post ther.

Cheers,

MrHix

How does the Touring screen affect airflow compared to the DB?

(Sweet bike, btw. I love the belly pan...)

Well, there's less wind hitting my chest (nice at cruising speed). I can tuck below the airstream (don't do that too often). more bugs hit it than me...

of course, the DB has a cool-factor race-bike look...

thanks - now though, I lost the lower fairing :shaking head: have to keep the bike upright, I guess, instead of flipping off into the ditch! :shame: (that fairing does a nice job shoveling turf!)

I put a Zero Grav ST screen on my '08 and while it provides more protection then the stock screen, due to my tall sitting height, its NOT enough for those long rides (read 3-4 day/300+ miles/day). I'm looking at another screen, to swap out for long rides, but can't remember the name off the top of my head. It comes in 3 different heights, w/the tallest being 7" taller then stock + 5" wider. I'm gonna oder that one before my 5+ day ride into eastern Oregon/Idaho.

different strokes

I put a Zero Grav ST screen on my '08 and while it provides more protection then the stock screen, due to my tall sitting height, its NOT enough for those long rides (read 3-4 day/300+ miles/day). I'm looking at another screen, to swap out for long rides, but can't remember the name off the top of my head. It comes in 3 different heights, w/the tallest being 7" taller then stock + 5" wider. I'm gonna oder that one before my 5+ day ride into eastern Oregon/Idaho.

Last year before I got the ZG-ST shield I put on 4000K in 6 days and had no problem. Of course it was 38C most days so the wind blast was welcome. I only got the bigger screen for when the weather gets cold or wet. Now that I have it on, I like the looks of it, so it will stay regardless of the weather. I won't miss the bugs on my visor either.:shine:

3B43,

Were you looking at the Cal Sci windscreens? They have several sizes. I don't know anything about them though.

Good Luck,

MrHix

3B43,

Were you looking at the Cal Sci windscreens? They have several sizes. I don't know anything about them though.

Good Luck,

MrHix

I have the large screen and it does a good job of redirecting the air-flow with minimal buffeting if you are riding into a 20 mph headwind.
The screens are also made a low-pressure NACA vent that prevents back-pressure turbulence that can sometimes feel like someone is pushing on your helmet at high-speeds. This problem tends to happen with large screens.

Fred

ZG Outlet

Hey oldschool! I decided to take a chance on a ZG ST for my '09 from ZG Outlet. I liked your write up on it and did a little research on it. It is a factory 2nd, but others who have ordered says they can't see anything wrong. We will see. Any tips on install? Total cost is $67 delivered. I forget how tall you set in the saddle, but I am 6 ft and it has to be better than stock! Going for a ride and find a metal shop to have those cuts made on hard bag base.

Hey oldschool! I decided to take a chance on a ZG ST for my '09 from ZG Outlet. I liked your write up on it and did a little research on it. It is a factory 2nd, but others who have ordered says they can't see anything wrong. We will see. Any tips on install? Total cost is $67 delivered. I forget how tall you set in the saddle, but I am 6 ft and it has to be better than stock! Going for a ride and find a metal shop to have those cuts made on hard bag base.
My album has some different pics both with and withouth the ZG Sport Touring windshield.

Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum - cos_fz1's Album: FZ1 Pics

If I was going on a long trip, I might want the Rifle screen or the Cal Sci screen mentioned. It all depends on how much wind there is, how much wind you like, the direction the wind is going, etc, a personal preference I think. The install was just unscrewing the 6 screws that hold the stock windscreen in place and using the same screws to apply/install the ZG.

I do like the look of the ZG ST. Testing is all part of the experience! I thought of adding a Vario Spoiler later if needed. I can always transfer it over to the stock shield. I will drop pictures sometime next week when I get it in.

Tested the ZG ST

Got it in and of course had to put it on immediately and go for a ride. I does cut the airflow to the body and airflow hits the top of my helmet. Stable through 80 mph with a head wind. Still thinking of adding an MRA spoiler for the long rides, though.

I finally got the parts ordered through the same shop I bought the bike from. I ordered bar, risers and the GT250 steering head pre-drilled and tapped for the risers. This will allow me to keep the original sterring head un-altered if I end up returning it to stock.

Parts should be in today. Just trying to decide if I want to do this on my own or not. It would be nice to pull the forks off and replace the oil with a heaver weight. I also hear that the forks are notorious for not having the same amount of oil in both sides yet another reason to pull them off.

About Three weeks ago I put on the new Zero Gravity dark smoke Sport Touring Windshield. I wanted a screen that would direct the air higher than stock. Hopefully cutting out the wind turbulence at highway speed, as well as making it more comfortable in cold weather.

Congrats!

What is the size of the screen?

I have a California Scientific XL and it is terrible at buffeting. I went with a Puig and added a Laminar Lip and it works quite well. However, sustained highway riding going into a strong headwind is the not best way to travel on a FZ1.

Fred

The screen is about 4" taller than stock with a more rounded top profile. It is also about 3" wider at the bottom and about 1" wider at the top. This gives it a more tapered look. For reference I am just a hair under 6' tall.
At 50 - 60 kph you feel no wind below the top of the helmet and no turbulence. At 100 - 150kph. again, No turbulence but the helmet vents get air from the fairing vent.

Congrats!

What is the size of the screen?

I have a California Scientific XL and it is terrible at buffeting. I went with a Puig and added a Laminar Lip and it works quite well. However, sustained highway riding going into a strong headwind is the not best way to travel on a FZ1.

Fred

Fred,
I have never actually measured the screen from top to bottom or side to side. I will be doing a few jobs on the bike this weekend and I will do just that. I will post the results when they are in.
As far as buffeting goes, unless there is a wicked crosswind I get no buffeting at all from the screen. It really was a great addition / improvement to the bike.

Last edited:
Fred,
I have never actually measured the screen from top to bottom or side to side. I will be doing a few jobs on the bike this weekend and I will do just that. I will post the results when they are in.

OK so I put a tape measure to the Zero Gravity- Sport Touring shield; 13 3/4" at the widest point (where it meets the fairing). 18 1/2" tall,(from the "point" at the bottom to the top center of the shield.
So: 18,1/2" X 13,3/4"

Stock:15" X 12,1/8" (Height X Width) measured at the same points.

Results: Zero Gravity Sport Touring windshield is 3,1/2" taller than stock and 1,5/8" Wider at the bottom.

Now you know!

Zg-st

At 102:Rockon:, just had to get past a semi quickly on a two-lane, it was pretty stable. I sit rather tall at 6' and have wide shoulders, so I still get some wind, but it is much better than stock. An MRA Spoiler might be the trick for the long rides and is on my list of mods. :)

You know I bought a Puig touring screen through twistedthrottle a few weeks ago and after 1 ride am kinda surprised with the added noise. It's exactly the same size as the Zero gravity and the fact that I'm 5 7 was thinking that there should be less turbulence...not so. With louder plugs in my Arai Profile it was definitely louder than the stocker. I'm gonna put my thicker plugs in on my next ride and finally upgraded my helmet speakers so the new wind noise should be stifled. Beyond that I like the windscreen...the height, width, and overall look is great. I wear plugs all the time so the added wind noise was a surprise...I can report based on my next ride with thicker plugs and my new speakers. I'm anticipating a wonderfully music filled experience with very low wind noise ;)

You know I bought a Puig touring screen through twistedthrottle a few weeks ago and after 1 ride am kinda surprised with the added noise. It's exactly the same size as the Zero gravity and the fact that I'm 5 7 was thinking that there should be less turbulence...not so. With louder plugs in my Arai Profile it was definitely louder than the stocker. I'm gonna put my thicker plugs in on my next ride and finally upgraded my helmet speakers so the new wind noise should be stifled. Beyond that I like the windscreen...the height, width, and overall look is great. I wear plugs all the time so the added wind noise was a surprise...I can report based on my next ride with thicker plugs and my new speakers. I'm anticipating a wonderfully music filled experience with very low wind noise ;)

Same problem here. Much more noise than with the stock screen. Turbulence off the edge now hits at bottom of helmet rather being in "clear air" before. I'm thinking it's coming off...

Not the same

Same problem here. Much more noise than with the stock screen. Turbulence off the edge now hits at bottom of helmet rather being in "clear air" before. I'm thinking it's coming off...

There must be a significant difference between the Puig and the Zero Gravity because I get no extra noise, or turbulence with the Zero Gravity. Maybe it is in the design of the edge of the shields that differs. Zero Gravity does wind tunnel test theirs, don't know about Puig. Dollar for dollar one of the best "mods" I've done.

Last edited:
Back