FZ1 Temperature Light...on/off???

I Talked to them this morning. I can take it back but they said it would be a week or 2 before I get it back. I am going home to drain all the oil out. Clean that area up and put some sealer on it and let it sit over the weekend. That's all they are going to do anyway!!!

There really is no point in putting any more money in this bike since one cylinder is out... Sucks cause it is my first bike and I really thought I had it together.... :/

Time to look for another bike something Newer!

Aw, man, beyond disappointing! That is inexcusable! Did he not run it after the repair? My guy took mine out for a 10 minute test ride and let it sit overnight afterwards to be sure.

For that amount of $$$, I'd be speaking to them in my "polite, but one step away from going ballistic" voice...

I took it home. Drained all the oil out.

I can see it’s a new oil pan but it’s leaking from one of the bolts closest to the Main oil plug bolt. I cleaned the area where THEY put gasket maker on it which was a shitty job. I sprayed it with Brake cleaner wiped it off and applied a good amount of Sealer to it.

I am going to let it sit until Sunday. Add oil and see what happens.

I don’t know what else to do or say……IMG_2531.jpeg

Yeah, looks like they applied it with 2" paint brush. People... I really don't understand them some... er, most times... :rolleyes:

A little over a year ago, my youngest daughter and I drove to a suburb outside Philly (about a 4 hour trip) to buy a beautiful Triumph Speed Triple at a great price. Guy was very friendly, had service records, extra oil, service manual, etc. Took the bike for a test ride and right towards the end, it started a very light clattering. I figured it was cam chain tensioner related and I could fix that no problem. Get the bike home and go for another short ride. Sounded good on start up and the first couple of miles. As I got closer to home, it started CLANKING like I couldn't believe and I almost threw up, knowing I'd just bought a POS. Sure enough, took it to my mechanic and he was like "Man, I've NEVER seen an engine looking like this!" Took a pic of the oil pan and the bottom was a literal sludge of metal shavings and hunks of RTV sealant. He did a little investigative work with the shop where a couple of the service records were from and I realized the seller straight up lied about most of my questions. It was very hard/expensive lesson and I got VERY lucky on two counts: First, I got in touch with the seller and he was willing to refund half the money, and second, I found a buyer who happened to have a Speed engine in need of a chassis, so I recovered the cost of the bike. Had to pay the mechanic $600 for his work, so that sucked, but much less than it could've...

Yeah, looks like they applied it with 2" paint brush. People... I really don't understand them some... er, most times... :rolleyes:

A little over a year ago, my youngest daughter and I drove to a suburb outside Philly (about a 4 hour trip) to buy a beautiful Triumph Speed Triple at a great price. Guy was very friendly, had service records, extra oil, service manual, etc. Took the bike for a test ride and right towards the end, it started a very light clattering. I figured it was cam chain tensioner related and I could fix that no problem. Get the bike home and go for another short ride. Sounded good on start up and the first couple of miles. As I got closer to home, it started CLANKING like I couldn't believe and I almost threw up, knowing I'd just bought a POS. Sure enough, took it to my mechanic and he was like "Man, I've NEVER seen an engine looking like this!" Took a pic of the oil pan and the bottom was a literal sludge of metal shavings and hunks of RTV sealant. He did a little investigative work with the shop where a couple of the service records were from and I realized the seller straight up lied about most of my questions. It was very hard/expensive lesson and I got VERY lucky on two counts: First, I got in touch with the seller and he was willing to refund half the money, and second, I found a buyer who happened to have a Speed engine in need of a chassis, so I recovered the cost of the bike. Had to pay the mechanic $600 for his work, so that sucked, but much less than it could've...

At least you came out even or on top good job 👍🏽

I changed the oil and started it up. Wasn’t leaking after I let it idle for about 12 mins. Took it around my neighborhood got to the front it starts to die out. Started leaking a little TOUCHED the oil and it had a HEAVY GAS SMELL. Opened my oil cap and sure enough smells like gas.

IS IT DEAD ☠

I just drained all the oil out of it and it looks like liquid.. WTH has happened that quick??!! I am going to try ONE last thing which is Go get new oil and fill it back and if it runs then dies it’s the engine I guess

I know the 2 weeks is problematic but I would take it back until it's fixed. I was very doubtful that the running problems were due to the water pump or oil leak however...
I changed the oil and started it up. Wasn’t leaking after I let it idle for about 12 mins. Took it around my neighborhood got to the front it starts to die out. Started leaking a little TOUCHED the oil and it had a HEAVY GAS SMELL. Opened my oil cap and sure enough smells like gas.

IS IT DEAD ☠

Check the compression to determine if there is a problem with the rings. It may be that you have a stuck float in one or more of the carbs. This is a Gen 1 right?

A problem with the carbs could easily explain the poor running.

I know the 2 weeks is problematic but I would take it back until it's fixed. I was very doubtful that the running problems were due to the water pump or oil leak however...

Check the compression to determine if there is a problem with the rings. It may be that you have a stuck float in one or more of the carbs. This is a Gen 1 right?

A problem with the carbs could easily explain the poor running.

Yes Gen 1 however I just recently got jet kits installed and carbs synched

Also how do I check the compression

Yes Gen 1 however I just recently got jet kits installed and carbs synched

Also how do I check the compression

Get a compression tester at harbor freight/amazon/auto parts store etc. Take out the spark plugs hold the throttle wide open and crank until the pressure maxes out. That is then the reading. Do all 4 cylinders.

Since the problems occurred shortly after the carb work it would not be surprising if that's where the issue is.

Back