FZ1 Temperature Light...on/off???

What would be the best thing to use to soak the carb parts in ? And do I soak the whole carb or just the bowls and stuff?
Carb Cleaner.

Since I bought my bike at 38k miles(currently at 130K) My carbs have never been off the bike. I run injector/Carb cleaner from Lucas oil in the gasoline every once in a while to keep the ethanol from building up. But yours might be in much worse shape and need to be removed and cleaned.

Carb Cleaner.

Since I bought my bike at 38k miles(currently at 130K) My carbs have never been off the bike. I run injector/Carb cleaner from Lucas oil in the gasoline every once in a while to keep the ethanol from building up. But yours might be in much worse shape and need to be removed and cleaned.

So spray injector/carb cleaner in a tub and place all the carb parts on it? Or are you saying after this cleaning periodically put some in my gas tank?

I was looking at Mineral Spirit or would that mess it up?

So spray injector/carb cleaner in a tub and place all the carb parts on it? Or are you saying after this cleaning periodically put some in my gas tank?

I was looking at Mineral Spirit or would that mess it up?

I would take the carbs apart and at least spray everything out with carb cleaner or soak everything in a can of carb cleaner like Berryman B12.

Ok I am going to say 1000% it’s the carbs it died on me this am wouldn’t start back up got home and cranked it it started right away.

It’s raining pretty heavy here in Orlando but tomorrow I will remove the carbs and tank. I orderd a new gas cap, fuel sending unit and petcock.

300 for a gas cap 😬

I will DEFINITELY take pics of the inside of the carbs and post them..

Thank you to EVERYONE who chimes in while im going crazy trying to figure this out.. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU GUYS 💯

Also knowing that my engine isn’t the issue makes me want to find and fix the issue after putting so much money in to it. I’m going to get a R6 or if I can find a R1 for a good price hopefully within the next few weeks.

However the Task at hand is These carbs 🙄 👀

Alright here it is..

I removed the carbs and the pictures you see are exactly where I am at.

while removing the carbs I noticed that my radiator is still very muddy and rusty.Thought they gave me a radiator flush?? So I am assuming I need to get that cleaned out or replaced??

then you will notice there was rust coming out of the carburetor hoses as well.

MY QUESTION IS DO I REMOVE THE JETS TOO???

how do I check the float bowls just turn them upside down and see if they move? They all move with ease.

while draining my tank I noticed it would be moments where the gas was barely coming out I would turn the fuel valve a few times and it would start pouring out again..

IMG_2545.jpegIMG_2546.jpegIMG_2547.jpegIMG_2549.jpeg

There are 2 types of Carb Cleaner:
  • The spray kind designed for direct spray on to the Carb parts - some people use Brake Clean sprays as well.
  • The Liquid kind designed to go into the gas tank - also called Injector cleaner, fuel treatment, etc. - For this I personally use the Lucas Oil Carb/Injector Clean - 1 small bottle says it treats up to 25 gallons. I have at times dumped a full bottle in a single 4 gallon fill-up, other times I do half the bottle. I mostly need to do that in the winter since the winter blend of gasoline is crap and my bike hates to cold idle on it.

If you disassemble the Carbs you will need to get them synced after putting them back together and on the bike. There is a special tool for syncing them.

I believe if you just spray them out really good as they are you can put them back on the bike without needing a sync.

If you pull the tank off and put some cleaner in it, swish around and dump out do you get any rust chunks? I see the cap has some rust on it, but how about deep in the tank?

Spray that Carb cleaner in all the lines on that carb.

They are definitely nasty looking. I would at least take the main jets out and spray through the passage ways good. I don't have the Gen 1 service manual anymore but the float settings are measured by how far they drop down. They are usually adjusted by bending a tang to drop to the proper level. I don't remember the spec though since I don't have the manual to refer to.

I have never disassembled a Carb, but with my sons quad I did remove it and spray carb cleaner all through the thing. Did that on a CRF450 once too. As long as you do not mess with any of the linkage for the sync you should be okay. I would assume pulling the floats for cleaning and putting them back would be fine.

Back