FZ1 Temperature Light...on/off???

I have never disassembled a Carb, but with my sons quad I did remove it and spray carb cleaner all through the thing. Did that on a CRF450 once too. As long as you do not mess with any of the linkage for the sync you should be okay. I would assume pulling the floats for cleaning and putting them back would be fine.

Where is the linkage for the sync just so I don’t mess with it??

I have never disassembled a Carb, but with my sons quad I did remove it and spray carb cleaner all through the thing. Did that on a CRF450 once too. As long as you do not mess with any of the linkage for the sync you should be okay. I would assume pulling the floats for cleaning and putting them back would be fine.

Correct and the linkage doesn't need to messed with anyway.

I would recommend taking out the idle mixture screws and spraying inside that area really good as well. Before you take these screws out turn them in clockwise until they stop. Count how many turns each of them go in. Write this down and put them back to this setting when they are replaced. They will probably need to be tweaked slightly when the bike is back together but should be close.

So sorry to hear your predicament. The tank would really scare me if you don't get that straightened out. The Carbs should be thoroughly cleaned to get them working properly and yes a sync might be needed. The small knowledge of carbs I have is with small engines and those were a pain and finicky. Those floats can move ever so much with little effort. Not saying it can't be done but go slow and be methotical. I did one sync on my 95 GSXR1100. The motion pro tool is pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/MOTION-SYNC-...mzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685

My '01 FZ1 had a stuck float but resolved itself with a light tap on the carb. Ran some cleaner in the tank after that. I racked up 69K on the bike and never had the carbs off or synced on it.

All I did was remove the 3 screws in each carb so your saying I might still need a synch?

also is it bad that I can’t clean this airway out??
You could wait until you reassemble to see if you need a sync. If it runs rough. But if you take them apart and mess with the jets you might have to.

Sorry. I'm not familiar with the carbs to comment on the passage way u refer to.

You could wait until you reassemble to see if you need a sync. If it runs rough. But if you take them apart and mess with the jets you might have to.

Sorry. I'm not familiar with the carbs to comment on the passage way u refer to.

It is unlikely that cleaning the jet will affect the sync. Having a clogged jet will cause worse problems.

They need to be thoroughly cleaned. This may require a soak in a big can of carb cleaner overnight.

I’m going to NAPA after work and grabbing a bucket of carb cleaner that has a basket attached to it so I can soak it over night.

I also drained out my tank and when I shake it around it sounds as if there is an ounce of sand in it.

I have a week to get all this fixed before the gas cap comes in from Orlando Yamaha.

Another update:

Cleaned the carbs really good! Let them sit in parts cleaner then blew it off. Put it back on the bike hooked everything up EXECPT the gas tank used a bottle for fuel with the fuel line attached..

Bike started right up!! IDLED FOR 15 mins fan came on and it was revving up when I hit the throttle and the throttle isn’t sticking anymore..

So I am assuming that since it idled good I will NOT need a sync!!

Waiting for the gas tank sealer to come in so I can seal the tank and then do a radiator flush and I am hoping I am good..

The real test will be riding it around once it’s done

I REALLY HOPE I FIXED THE ISSUE!!!

Another update:

Cleaned the carbs really good! Let them sit in parts cleaner then blew it off. Put it back on the bike hooked everything up EXECPT the gas tank used a bottle for fuel with the fuel line attached..

Bike started right up!! IDLED FOR 15 mins fan came on and it was revving up when I hit the throttle and the throttle isn’t sticking anymore..

So I am assuming that since it idled good I will NOT need a sync!!

Waiting for the gas tank sealer to come in so I can seal the tank and then do a radiator flush and I am hoping I am good..

The real test will be riding it around once it’s done

I REALLY HOPE I FIXED THE ISSUE!!!

That's great! I bet you will be good to go 😁

Back