Minor off.... again... Sheesh!!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
As I said in the "What did you do to your FZ1 today" . . . I hit a patch of oil in a corner at low speed, bike went down and bounced off the rear tire of a passing car. No damage to the car... minimal damage to the bike and mesh jacket... zero damage to me. ATGATT FTW!!!

The bike got her nose rubbed on the car's rear tire and most of it came off my bike with just a few of those lens cleaning packets from work. The only actual damage to the bike was the front fender being snapped because it caught on her mud flap, the frame slider and the swingarm spool. A few other little scuffs in expected places... Me? Not a scratch! :D Helmet did not hit the ground...

I jumped up, picked up the bike and got it off the road in seconds. I ran and checked with the lady and she was OK and mostly worried about me. There was no damage to her car but I offered up my information regardless... three times. She said she did not need it, was happy I was OK and we parted ways. I rode the bike to work and even made it on time. ;)

The only other thing to work on is the front wheel appears to have tweaked the forks so I'll have to loosen all that up and align it, then torque it all back in place.

Pretty darned lucky because 2 seconds sooner and I'd have been sliding in FRONT of the car. This is how my co-worker was killed last year when she washed out and landed in the path of an on-coming vehicle.

It's strange that it didn't bother me at all when it happened. It wasn't until after I was at work that I realized that the outcome could have been VERY different like Lucy. I have to admit that I'm a little bit intimidated by this and will likely be a hell of a lot more cautious going forward.

This is twice in 13 months... first sand and now some petroleum product... both at low speeds thankfully. Seems I do a great job eyeing the road conditions out and about, but in town, I tend to focus more on the abundance of traffic first and forget to scan the roads. Maybe it is time to just stay out of the city at all costs!

I already have a Cobalt Blue fender lined up (Thank you CorrectionsK9 Craig!!) and a new Tourmaster mesh jacket on the way. Both come in under my deductible so there's no insurances involved.

Be safe out there folks! There's hidden danger EVERYWHERE! I am fortunate this was as minimal as it ended up. Wear your gear, get frame sliders... they all work VERY well!

Last edited:
I hit an oil patch and laid her down then bounced the front fairing off the rear tire of a car passing the other way... Only doing about 15 - 20 mph... very minimal damage because of the frame slider and the swingarm spool. :tup: ATGATT FTW! Only casualty was the front fender but CorrectionsK9 has a Cobalt Blue one that he is selling to me. Sweet!

WTH!!! Eric! Not again!!! Are you okay? Thats too many for you man!

WTH!!! Eric! Not again!!! Are you okay? Thats too many for you man!

Yeah, I'm 100% fine. The gear did the work and I only got a small hole on the mesh jacket sleeve. New jacket is already ordered. A Tourmaster mesh. :D

I'll make a new thread for this and get some pics up. ;)

Yeah, I'm 100% fine. The gear did the work and I only got a small hole on the mesh jacket sleeve. New jacket is already ordered. A Tourmaster mesh. :D

I'll make a new thread for this and get some pics up. ;)

Sorry for your "getoff" but happy that your okay. Also happy that you were wearing your gear. I saw someone yesterday after work, who's name I won't mention, wearing a tee-shirt as he got off the highway. Shame on him! You know who you are buddy boy. Better start wearing your gear or suffer the consequences!

I moved this content to the top post in the thread.... original post was in the "What did you do to your FZ1 Today?" and I realized that would hijack that thread.... not what I wanted! ;)

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are ok man. Sucks about the bike again though.

Good thing this was very minor. Try to stay out of the city man.. If you cannot scan the roads and the traffic, you just should not be there. That is how I feel anyways, so I dont drive city as there's just too much going on and I don't find it enjoyable. And enjoying it is what the bikes are all about.

Glad your ok. Makes me nervous when I hear and see people go down. Last two group rides I've done the leader has gone down now Eric. Even after Twitch I'm nervous considering I have a week long mountain bike trip in Vermont starting Friday. Is nothing safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to see that you are ok and the bike isn't too bad.
It can happen anywhere mate, in the city or out on country roads.
Although, I tend to stay away from big cities on the bike due to the traffic and everyone is always in a hurry.

Glad you are ok Eric. I agree with your observation about riding in city traffic, there is a lot more to keep track of and much easier to have some kind of accident. I much prefer riding on the state roads.

Glad your ok Eric! Ever thought of changing jobs to a stunt man? (sorry, just a bit of tounge in cheek)
It's great to hear your frame sliders saved most of your bike!
it's made me realize I need to get some axle sliders front and rear.

Some guys will do just about anything to have an excuse to work on the bike.

Kidding aside, glad you were able to get up and ride away. Parts cost way less than skin grafts.

As the saying goes, "Stuff happens." I'm glad you're okay Eric.

Are you still running the CD body work? If so did it hold up okay?

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! You guys are too cool and too funny! :tup: Lovin' the comments here!!

Pete, the CD screen took the tire right on the chin and didn't give an inch! I did not have the strike cowl on today because I had the tail bag on and loaded with rain gear (needed for the ride home!) The pods are still not finished... I've not been very active in trying to get them repaired and back on from last year's sandy incident. :( Sort of glad now because if I'd had them pristine and back on and broke them again? ARGH!!!! :D

Most of the rubber is already wiped off. Looks like I'll need to use that lens restore kit my son has to polish the headlights. The cowl and CD screen looks like they will clean up well. I just sent payment for Craig's blue fender for sale.

Only damage to my gear was a quarter-sized hole in the left forearm of my mesh jacket. Nothing with the pants, gloves, boots or helmet. To be honest, it was all so quick from down to up and talking to the lady that I don't even recall what landed first or even how I got the bike up but I remember lifting the bike was effortless with the adrenaline rush. I didn't even notice the fender was broke until a couple miles down the road when I saw the front tire moving while looking down between the instrument cluster and fairing...

I'm going to see if I can get a few pics.... Hope they show what is hurting. Glad it's not ME that is broken and hurting! :woot:

Back