New member welcome thread...

niceast

I’m new.
Engineering.
Ride a fz1.

This forum as to many sections and really low activity.

We only need 4 core sections
(1) general/mods/
(2) technical/how-to/spec/
(3) classifieds
(4) announcements
(5) off topic/

(1) will require to combine
General discussion, streetfighters, mods, news, videos,

(2) will require to combine
Technical, Garage / mechanical help, how-to’s

Just delete/archive
Tire tech, track tech, product review, safety equipment

Jboat

Not a new member, but figured I’d post up since I just got myself another FZ1. I’m excited to be back on another awesome FZ1!

I need to refamiliarize myself with the bike and mods. This forum has definitely died down from when I used to frequent it...

Anyways, I just got a 2009 that is bone stock down to the original tires! It only had 6,900 miles on it. The elderly gentleman who owned it had decided to quit riding and it sat for a while. He kept it full of fresh gas and on a tender and started it up occasionally so the tank is still squeaky clean and it runs like new.

The 50 mile ride home on those bricks was a bit interesting to say the least. They were hard as a rock and I couldn’t even dig my finger nail into them. The very first left turn I felt the bike slip! The rear had a nice flat spot from only freeway riding so the bike would barely even turn in without wanting to immediately stand up.

Needless to say, it’s now shod with a fresh pair of sticky Dunlop Q3+’s. I’ve also put new EBC HH pads in it. The stock ones still had at least 3/4 pad life left...but I wanted to start new.

For suspension mods I just got a brand new Nitron R1 shock. I’m also searching for a clean straight set of 04-07? R1 forks for sale. It seems they are getting a little hard to find these days. I’d like to get a set complete with calipers if I can. Then I’ll probably freshen them up and decide if I’m gonna go with the Traxxion AK20’s like I had in my last FZ1. A bit pricey, but worth every penny in my book. I plan to do the occasional track day so I want good suspension...

Ive also ordered a set of Luimoto seat covers, LED headlight bulbs, 16 tooth oem sprocket, chain, ZG touring screen, and a Speedo Healer. I’m also researching luggage options. So far I have a Cortech tail bag but I’m really liking the SW Motech saddle bags...

Happy Riding!

Attachments

divla

Not a new member, but figured I’d post up since I just got myself another FZ1. I’m excited to be back on another awesome FZ1!

I need to refamiliarize myself with the bike and mods. This forum has definitely died down from when I used to frequent it...

Anyways, I just got a 2009 that is bone stock down to the original tires! It only had 6,900 miles on it. The elderly gentleman who owned it had decided to quit riding and it sat for a while. He kept it full of fresh gas and on a tender and started it up occasionally so the tank is still squeaky clean and it runs like new.

The 50 mile ride home on those bricks was a bit interesting to say the least. They were hard as a rock and I couldn’t even dig my finger nail into them. The very first left turn I felt the bike slip! The rear had a nice flat spot from only freeway riding so the bike would barely even turn in without wanting to immediately stand up.

Needless to say, it’s now shod with a fresh pair of sticky Dunlop Q3+’s. I’ve also put new EBC HH pads in it. The stock ones still had at least 3/4 pad life left...but I wanted to start new.

For suspension mods I just got a brand new Nitron R1 shock. I’m also searching for a clean straight set of 04-07? R1 forks for sale. It seems they are getting a little hard to find these days. I’d like to get a set complete with calipers if I can. Then I’ll probably freshen them up and decide if I’m gonna go with the Traxxion AK20’s like I had in my last FZ1. A bit pricey, but worth every penny in my book. I plan to do the occasional track day so I want good suspension...

Ive also ordered a set of Luimoto seat covers, LED headlight bulbs, 16 tooth oem sprocket, chain, ZG touring screen, and a Speedo Healer. I’m also researching luggage options. So far I have a Cortech tail bag but I’m really liking the SW Motech saddle bags...

Happy Riding!

wow you were brave enough to ride on 12 yr old tyres for that long?? I would be afraid they'd just explode or lose pieces down the way congratulations on making it home in 1 piece and of course congratulations for the re-purchase of an FZ1 and welcome back to the family! :) I wish you a lot of enjoyable miles

Buffchief52

Hi all! New member here and I'm happy to be here with you all! I am a long time rider, live in Minnesota, retired Air Force. My first Yamaha was a brand new 1988 Yamaha FZR 1000 I purchased a long time ago! Great bike unfortunately sold many years ago.
I've had 20 or so motorcycles since then, all the big 4 and a few Ducati's, Harley's and one Aprilia and one BMW. I basically ride them a few years and trade or sell and like to experience other bikes, so many
good ones to try out. I prefer used bikes I can work on. (life long motorcycle, car and aircraft mechanic), but I have bought a few new ones also.
I just picked up my first FZ1. Its a 2001 that's completely stock down to the Helmet warning sticker on the gas tank by the fuel cap. ( already removed it!)
It has 53,000 miles on it and looks to have been taken care of, but is filthy dirty and it needs a complete wash/wax, degrease/cleaning and tune up before I will be satisfied with it. I have no idea the conditions of the valve clearance, carbs need a rebuild, (hard to start), carb boots are all cracked,
age of coolant or brake fluid/fork oil, so I am gonna have to change all the fluids, and do a valve check/carb clean. While I'm doing all of that, I'm gonna change fork springs (Race Tech) as I weigh 220 lbs
and fluid. Also may purchase a used R6 shock on ebay for the rear. I plan on adding a new windscreen, slip on exhaust, new handle bars, and possible LED smaller turn signals in the future.
Thanks for having me here on your forum!

Attachments

DaveC

Hi all! New member here and I'm happy to be here with you all! I am a long time rider, live in Minnesota, retired Air Force. My first Yamaha was a brand new 1988 Yamaha FZR 1000 I purchased a long time ago! Great bike unfortunately sold many years ago.
I've had 20 or so motorcycles since then, all the big 4 and a few Ducati's, Harley's and one Aprilia and one BMW. I basically ride them a few years and trade or sell and like to experience other bikes, so many
good ones to try out. I prefer used bikes I can work on. (life long motorcycle, car and aircraft mechanic), but I have bought a few new ones also.
I just picked up my first FZ1. Its a 2001 that's completely stock down to the Helmet warning sticker on the gas tank by the fuel cap. ( already removed it!)
It has 53,000 miles on it and looks to have been taken care of, but is filthy dirty and it needs a complete wash/wax, degrease/cleaning and tune up before I will be satisfied with it. I have no idea the conditions of the valve clearance, carbs need a rebuild, (hard to start), carb boots are all cracked,
age of coolant or brake fluid/fork oil, so I am gonna have to change all the fluids, and do a valve check/carb clean. While I'm doing all of that, I'm gonna change fork springs (Race Tech) as I weigh 220 lbs
and fluid. Also may purchase a used R6 shock on ebay for the rear. I plan on adding a new windscreen, slip on exhaust, new handle bars, and possible LED smaller turn signals in the future.
Thanks for having me here on your forum!
That sucker is clean for 55k miles. I'm guessing the pics were post wash-up.
Congrats and enjoy!

FrenchZ1

Hey, figured I should say Hi before posting.

I'm a rider from France. My bike is a 2010 FZ1-N ABS. She's old, ugly (seriously, black yellow is ... beurgh), cranky, missing some teeth in the front, but having an extra one in the back.
Got me a gear indicator, a legal "fullpower" procedure (because up until recently in France we were limited to 106hp) and a speedohealer because I like having things "neat and tidy".

Currently, the brat is not starting, hence why I came here to seek for some wisdom.

Ride safe y'all

TexnSC

Hello,
New owner of a 2008 FZ1. Been riding awhile, actually had a screen saver of the 1rst gen and timing wasn’t right. Fast forward 16 years, 8 bikes later and I was able to get one as a second bike for my GS. It had an imploded rotor so after a month of upgrades and maintenance I’m happy with the results. Look forward to getting more insights from the forum.
Greg

Attachments