Not really a mod, well kinda... '10 ECU

I bought a new '10 ECU off of Ebay today. I picked it up for $250 from a dude in Finland. I've got a PC3 with a custom map and while it's pretty good I'm curious as to how the new ECU will work. It's a 32 bit processor vs. a 16 bit, and from what I've read is a very nice OEM set up. Once it get it in, I'll pull my PC3, see how I like it, and then dyno the bike and have a new map made. That combo should be the killer.

I know many of you have Ivan's goodies and are happy with but I'd like to avoid any more add-on things than I need too. I figured for the price it is a good value as it addresses, FCE, sub-plate opening, low and mid ranges, and timing. Once AF1 tunes it with the PC3 it should be about perfect, I hope.

Hopefully the reindeer deliver it quickly. :)

Wait does this mean I shouldnt mod my flies on the 2010?

Thats the thing I was so confused about, all I kept reading was the Gen2 lacks mid range and let me tell you, this 2010 I just got has the same if not more mid range than my Gen 1 did...

Lacks mid range? Holy Crap, I thought it had heaps! I don't use the top end much.

I like the idea of using a new ECU Hellgate. If I was going to do that, what would you suggest I do to the bike as well. As the bike is stock right now. In saying that I am already looking at exhausts anyway, just have to find the dollars as I'm thinking of just going to a Yoshimura full system.

Last edited:
Lacks mid range? Holy Crap, I thought it had heaps! I don't use the top end much.

I like the idea of using a new ECU Hellgate. If I was going to do that, what would you suggest I do to the bike as well. As the bike is stock right now. In saying that I am already looking at exhausts anyway, just have to find the dollars as I'm thinking of just going to a Yoshimura full system later on.

For me I like to keep things simple and try to use OEM when I can; I try to tune to a "perfect throttle" and put the majority of the money into the suspension if needed.

For a street bike I think an exhaust and a PC with a custom tune is a very good solution. I know other have said the '06 is terrible but I found it fine compared to my FZ6, that bike had a terrible throttle. With the new ECU and the tune I'm hoping to get a very nice throttle. My goal is to create a throttle as nice as my Buell 1125R ended up being.

Give me a couple of months to complete this project and I'll report out.

Wait does this mean I shouldnt mod my flies on the 2010?

Thats the thing I was so confused about, all I kept reading was the Gen2 lacks mid range and let me tell you, this 2010 I just got has the same if not more mid range than my Gen 1 did...

Dunno, that is your call. I think the mid range is fine with a PC, tune and pipe.

The Fizz will never be a V-Twin.

I figured Power Commander over rode the ECU. I was just guessing and am an electronic moron, anyway.

Please keep us all updated. If it does all you say it does, hell yea it's worth it!:sport12:

I figured Power Commander over rode the ECU. I was just guessing and am an electronic moron, anyway.

Please keep us all updated. If it does all you say it does, hell yea it's worth it!:sport12:

The PC overrides the fuel mapping portion of the ECU only. With the new ECU it address all aspects.

I just wish someone had figured out a way to hack the Yamaha ECU. Many other brands have been hacked and the tuner is able to tweek the entire thing.

My guess is that the target AFRs that the old ECU used will be very similar to the new ECU. Bottom line is, I bet you will still need to override the o2s and use a PC3 or PC5 to fix the AFR.

Keep us posted.

AW

It is an indication of the processor speed. The code needs to loop the entire fuel and ignition calcs at least 6 times per revolution. At 12000 rpm, that works out 6 loops every .010 sec. Having plenty of speed sure helps.

AW

My guess is that the target AFRs that the old ECU used will be very similar to the new ECU. Bottom line is, I bet you will still need to override the o2s and use a PC3 or PC5 to fix the AFR.

Keep us posted.

AW

I agree, the PC will fine tune everything. What I like is that Yamaha kept improving the ECU over the years. Before I install the new ECU I'm going to install my zero map and compare the ECUs back to back. I'll dyno the two and see the difference. However I suspect that the majority of the improvement will be at neutral and partial throttle vs full throttle. Depending on the cost I'll do a step test on the dyno to compare between them.

First I've got to get the thing from Finland! No word as of yet.

I just noticed that you have an 06. That should be a day and night difference in low speed driveability.

Your sig does not mention an FCE. Really?

AW

I just noticed that you have an 06. That should be a day and night difference in low speed driveability.

Your sig does not mention an FCE. Really?

AW

I agree the bike should be very nice around town.

I refuse to pay $200 for a widget with three wires sticking out the back. Besides, its fine, honestly. Compared to my FZ6 there is no FCE problem. Now compared to my 1125R it's not a good throttle. That said this is a street bike not a track bike. For a track bike I'd consider it, or just buy a fully programable ECU and do away with all of the piggyback devices.

So when I can get a new ECU for $250, that is a much better value than $200 for a product that should be no more than $99.95.

Last edited:
where did u search for a ECU from Finland?

Flea Bay. I used "FZ1 ECU" and about 12 hits came back. Only one was the '10.

I've been looking on and off all summer and this is the first one I found.

The guy on FZ1OA seems to like his, but I was not about to pay $485 for one from the dealer. Heck, I only paid $4,000 for the bike.

Last edited:
Hello people,
I am pretty sure the FZ1 ECU from 2006-2009 and 2010 is a 32bit ECU. The only difference is the software for better mid-range response (secondary flies opening quicker). For bikes with no flies and with a PCIII or PCV and of course a good tuning, it is a waste of money IMHO to buy a ’10 ECU.

:sport12:

Back