Not really a mod, well kinda... '10 ECU

I received word from Finland that my ECU shipped on the 15th. My guess is that by the 30th I should have it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out!

Functional Test 1

So far, so AWESOME! This is amazing.

The amount of improvement is like ditching the stock shock for an Ohlins or Penske.

1) No fuel cut, period.
2) Much better throttle, very smooth and responsive. Very close to the reostat that I'm looking for.

There is some improvement with the Power Commander to be made. I suspect that the map is still rich. I'll load my custom map (was made on an '08 ECU) and see how that works. That map backs out between 5% and 15% of fuel.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Just for fun... try the dukes stage one smoothed map. Once you get the AE set, see if the bike will pull the front end off the ground with a first gear snap of the wrist from 4000 RPM. No fair touching the clutch. :)

AW

Last edited:
Time to shop for a '10 ECU! :D Great to hear Pete!

It's really nice. The ride home was just as good as the ride to work.

On the way home I was in some stop-and-go traffic. The bike was smooth as silk between 1,200 and 4,000. Just twist and go. No issues at all.

I experimented with fuel cut from about 7,000 and didn't notice any. I really need to try a long sweeper and see what it does.

If a person has an '06 I'd suggest this before any other fuel/performance mod. Even at $475 it is a very good value.

Last edited:
My 08 only has fuel cut then at 0 throttle for more than about a sec and above 6800 RPM. I am not in this situation very often on the street. Now that I run the stage one map, I find that my motor has plenty of power at almost any reasonable RPM.

AW

Shame that it took Yamaha 5 years to figure it out and that too at the end of the product cycle. I am sure 2012 will bring a new FZ1. Yamaha is hurting big time so guess they skimped on the revamp for 2011. Frankly speaking, looking at the FZ1 performance figures, there are still not many standard nakeds that can trump it. Maybe a tuono, streetfighter.

I will be curious to see dyno graphs of the new 2010-2011.

Sounds like a good mod. It'll be interesting to see some dyno charts after it's been sorted.

As for the 2012 FZ1, it's starting to get long in the tooth now and with recent updates of the Z1000 and a forthcoming update to the Speed Triple along with a rumoured naked RSV4 Aprilia next year the FZ1 isn't exactly going to be selling well!

Yeah the FZ1 may be getting a little long on tooth but for what I use it for it's fine; fast sport touring, commuting. The FZ1 will never be an R1, but perhaps the ultimate all-a-rounder.

For a true sport bike I'm shopping for a nice, clean used R6 ('05 to '09) or CBR600RR ('05 to '09); preferably prepped for the track. If anyone knows of one let me know. However come late November I suspect the WERA board will be flooded with them for very good prices.

Back