Not really a mod, well kinda... '10 ECU

Hello people,
I am pretty sure the FZ1 ECU from 2006-2009 and 2010 is a 32bit ECU. The only difference is the software for better mid-range response (secondary flies opening quicker). For bikes with no flies and with a PCIII or PCV and of course a good tuning, it is a waste of money IMHO to buy a ’10 ECU.

:sport12:

Sorry, not true. The 32 bit ECU was introduced for the 2010 model year. 2009 and earlier bikes are all 16 bit. Hence the swap and expected improvements.

Hello people,
I am pretty sure the FZ1 ECU from 2006-2009 and 2010 is a 32bit ECU. The only difference is the software for better mid-range response (secondary flies opening quicker). For bikes with no flies and with a PCIII or PCV and of course a good tuning, it is a waste of money IMHO to buy a ’10 ECU.

:sport12:

No, the older bikes are a 16 bit processor and the map is completely different especially between and '06 and a '10. My bike is an '06.

I'll let you know if it is a waste of money or not. Thanks for your support.

Last edited:
That Yamaha link really only claims the ignition is 32 bit.... We are assuming that the ECU is 32 bit. I never looked if there is an ignition black box that has its own processor. Fords with EDIS do this sort of trick. then the EDIS passes the RPM up to the ECU thru what is called the PIP and then the ECU passes the desired advance back to the EDIS thru the SAW.

AW

Guys,

You say the Wikipedia is not reliable. Ok that’s fine with me. But then what about the USA magazines, are they unreliable too? Check the other two links…..

In most of the reviews that I have come across, they state that the ECU is a 32bit. Yamaha’s European site states the following:

“And for 2010, the ECU mapping has been revised for improved throttle response in the low to mid-rpm range”

Clearly states the mapping and not the processor speed.

What Yamaha did in 2006 was to strip down the R1 and make an all-rounder based on R1 technology with a bit of friendliness and more reliability. We all know what the differences between the two are. As a result the logic was to use a 32bit ECU similar to R1 (with different mapping i.e. not equipped with ram air, different redline) and not downgraded to a 16bit. Unless the 2004-2006 R1 uses a 16bit ECU.

As for the part numbers, different due to ABS, year, map changes and other factors.

Check the parts catalogue between 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010………only the last two digits change

Bottom line is all of the modern processors are plenty fast enough to run these bikes. Driveability is all about the timing and VE maps that none of us can see this stuff in the Yamaha world. The farther your setup is from the way the bike was delivered the more likely it is that you will create a hole somewhere that you will have to fill or learn to drive around.

The motor is a big pipe organ. Do anything to make that pipe organ sound different and the ECU have to be adjusted one way or the other. Remember that the EPA insists on having the AFR between 14.2 - 15.2 up thru about 75% power. This is quite lean. If you remove the 02 from the system and it has a lean hole, the result is the bike could have a huge lean hole and you no longer have the o2s to help.

This is the primary reason that I elected to leave my air box and flies stock.

Everyone messing with this stuff should find the time to view this video to help get their head around this stuff.

http://www.diyautotune.com/videos/megasquirt_meet_08/efibasics.mov

AW

Last edited:
Great info AW! I'd seen that video based on a link at the FZ1OA site you provided. This is why I left the O2 sensor installed after doing these mods. While not the best situation to be in, running at close to sea level all the time, I'm not running a lot leaner than stock. The O2 sensor is able to compensate and adjust the map. Only after buying the PC will I cap the sensor. ;)

Please note that 32-bit vs. 16-bit is not an issue of speed, but the processor's ability to work with very large numbers, and more importantly, the granularity of the "space" between two numbers. The 32-bit processor will make a more linear curve (i.e. sine wave) than a 16-bit. That *could* equate to a smoother map, but I doubt it. 16-bits are plenty enough, as it allows 65,000+ positions on the throttle (if you want to think of it like that). Yamaha can get the 32-bit chip for probably 89 cents more than the 16-bit, so that's some kick-a$$ marketing for less than a buck. I hope no one is being too anal about this topic.

Please note that 32-bit vs. 16-bit is not an issue of speed, but the processor's ability to work with very large numbers, and more importantly, the granularity of the "space" between two numbers. The 32-bit processor will make a more linear curve (i.e. sine wave) than a 16-bit. That *could* equate to a smoother map, but I doubt it. 16-bits are plenty enough, as it allows 65,000+ positions on the throttle (if you want to think of it like that). Yamaha can get the 32-bit chip for probably 89 cents more than the 16-bit, so that's some kick-a$$ marketing for less than a buck. I hope no one is being too anal about this topic.

Ehh, it is what it is, no worries.

I'm just hoping the seller responds at this point. Nothing but negative contact so far. I've emailed him once via Ebay. I'll ping him again on Tuesday as that will be one week. Then I'll file a complaint with Ebay. Interestingly my payment is listed as "unclaimed" on PP. Perhaps he's traveling???

Here's a thought. Can a dealer reflash the ECU? My 1125R had the ECU flashed about 4 times as better maps came out from Buell. All free of charge. Heck I'd pay $100 for the updated flash.

all fz1 ECUs are 32 bit. Heck, even fz6 were 32 bit. IMO the bike runs gr8 with the O2 connected. I have been running like that with 0s in 0-40 positions in the pc3 since ECU operates in open loop above 40% throttle.

Ehh, it is what it is, no worries.
[...]

Hellgate, I didn't mean to come off like your decision to investigate the new ECU was not valid, my point was for those who may infer 32-bit as simply "better" just because it is 32-bit. Heck, perhaps they were always 32-bit some are saying. :nothing:

The bottom line is the Yamaha is advertising that the code has been changed to improve driveability. That alone is worth looking into. I wonder if they raised the fuel cut to even higher than 6800 RPM like the 08 have. They could have easily played with the drive by wire tables that control the secondary throttles. Who knows....

AW

There's a member her from across the pond who took his to a dealer who re-mapped the stock ECU for him. We was hoping he could get information on how to do this or at least the map to upload to our own ECU if we could access a machine to do it at a local dealer of choice. No word though and I cannot remember the member's ID.

There's a member her from across the pond who took his to a dealer who re-mapped the stock ECU for him. We was hoping he could get information on how to do this or at least the map to upload to our own ECU if we could access a machine to do it at a local dealer of choice. No word though and I cannot remember the member's ID.

He lives in Croatia if I recall correctly. He never specifically answered our question however.

The dealer I go to is a small Yamaha only, family owned shop that has been in business for 40 years. If anyone will know they should.

Back