Not really a mod, well kinda... '10 ECU

I beg to differ there. A modded (cheap free mods and PC3) FZ1 is almost close to a naked R1.

I have to disagree with that. My last bike was a pretty much standard 08 R1 and the FZ1 doesn't even come close in acceleration, braking, handling or top end.
The FZ1, even with all the usual mods done, the rearsets changed and the suspension sorted won't come close to an R1

I have to disagree with that. My last bike was a pretty much standard 08 R1 and the FZ1 doesn't even come close in acceleration, braking, handling or top end.
The FZ1, even with all the usual mods done, the rearsets changed and the suspension sorted won't come close to an R1

I agree and it's not supposed to. Yamaha never intended the FZ1 to be a "naked" R1 so plenty of compromises were made in it's design. That said it's still plenty of bike for most of us, especially for street riding.

Are we talking about the R1 from which the GenII FZ1 was derived or an 08 R1?

So, what I'm reading I can have my '08 ECU 'remapped' to '10 specs? WHere do I get that done at? My complaint with the bike is eveyones complaint-lousy throttle response/cut below 4000! So, who do I send it too?

So, what I'm reading I can have my '08 ECU 'remapped' to '10 specs? WHere do I get that done at? My complaint with the bike is eveyones complaint-lousy throttle response/cut below 4000! So, who do I send it too?

No, not remapping the ECU but buying the entire thing. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to remap the ECU. Which is kind of silly as my Buell had a port and the deal could remap in about 15 to 30 minutes.

Thanks! I don't see any sense in 'performance' up grades on my '08 other then the throttle response below 4000! If I wanted a 'performance' bike, I'd of bought the ZX-14 and made some 'up grades'! BUT I would like the lousy throttle repsonse cured! I think my $$$ will go to some suspension up grades, as I'm NOT happy with the shock and forks AND the seat!!! On my 3200 mile ride in July, the 'seat' has to be changed (I'm thinking of a Russell seat, as his shop is only 3 hrs from my place) and the shock SUCKS! for miles and miles and miles . . . . a little more 'compliance' would be nice, front and rear.

Thanks! I don't see any sense in 'performance' up grades on my '08 other then the throttle response below 4000! If I wanted a 'performance' bike, I'd of bought the ZX-14 and made some 'up grades'! BUT I would like the lousy throttle repsonse cured! I think my $$$ will go to some suspension up grades, as I'm NOT happy with the shock and forks AND the seat!!! On my 3200 mile ride in July, the 'seat' has to be changed (I'm thinking of a Russell seat, as his shop is only 3 hrs from my place) and the shock SUCKS! for miles and miles and miles . . . . a little more 'compliance' would be nice, front and rear.

I agree, the throttle, rear shock and saddle are all terrible. But they can all be solved easily with a little money. But the FZ1 is no different from most bikes; the things you listed are things I've modded on pretty much every bike I've owned.

On my 3200 mile trek in July, I bumped into a guy south of Bend, Oregon, on a fully loaded V Strom, from the east coast. He had been 'sport touring' for 40 years. His comment was 'you build the bike around the seat' . . . I put 1150 miles on my FZ in TWO days, on the way home . . . the seat needs FIXING! AND a more compliant shock would be REAL nice!

Yesterday I played around with the Power Commander and installed a custom map that was made on an '08 ECU. Seemed to work well, power was killer, throttle very smooth, no fuel cut.

Next weekend I'm going to install other maps and see how it responds to those. Ultimately I need to get her on the dyno and totally dial her in. My tuning guy is prepping a blown Aprilia RSV for the Texas Mile so I probably won't get to the dyno until November.

Ok, I'm confused...

One of my biggest complaints about the bike is when I'm making very low speed turns (less than 4000 RPM in 1st gear), when I roll back on the throttle, the power jerks on suddenly.

I bought an FCE to remedy this problem, but haven't installed it yet. From reading this thread, it seems like the FCE will only fix fuel cut *above* 6800 rpm??

My problem is rolling back on the throttle at very low rpm. Will FCE fix that? Will 2010 ECU fix that?

Thanks for the info.

P.S. That guy was right about 32 bit processors. 32 bit just means more addressable memory and the ability to perform instructions on larger numbers in a single clock cycle. So unless the 16 bit processor was trying to do calculations on 32 bit numbers or needed more than 64k of memory, then it doesn't help at all.

To be technically correct, the 2010+ ECU may cure the snatch but not the fuel cut. Fuel cut is always going to be there in all modern fuel injected vehicles due to EPA BS. FCE cures that. Maybe all modern bikes may benefit from a FCE even if there is no snatch.

Fuel cut in itself is not the root issue nor is it inherently a problem. The problem for the EFI calibraters is to bring in enough fuel early enough and in great enough quantities to make reapplying the throttle seamless. It's all in the coding and well within the reach of a good programmer at Yamaha.

Poor EFI attention to detail by Yamaha on the 06 bikes is the issue. On the 07 and later bike is understanding what you can play with and still not blow the programming balance. Some things can be covered up with a PC3 and others can not.

AW

To be technically correct, the 2010+ ECU may cure the snatch but not the fuel cut. Fuel cut is always going to be there in all modern fuel injected vehicles due to EPA BS. FCE cures that. Maybe all modern bikes may benefit from a FCE even if there is no snatch.

Let me be clear to everyone, there are no fuel cut effects at with this ECU. With this ECU there is no need for an FCE.

Hey you live in Austin... :)

Man... I wish I could see if the new ECU is worth the price tag...

I know brand new it's around $400, but you got it for like $200... If it's really all that, then $400 wouldn't be so bad. About the cost of a single tire for my car... :)

-- C

Hey you live in Austin... :)

Man... I wish I could see if the new ECU is worth the price tag...

I know brand new it's around $400, but you got it for like $200... If it's really all that, then $400 wouldn't be so bad. About the cost of a single tire for my car... :)

-- C

I'll be at Rudy's at 620 and 2222, this Sunday at noon. There are a few guys from the other board meeting there for lunch. Come on by and take her for a spin. :Rockon: Otherwise we can meet this weekend.

512 six three three 5391

I'll be at Rudy's at 620 and 2222, this Sunday at noon. There are a few guys from the other board meeting there for lunch. Come on by and take her for a spin. :Rockon: Otherwise we can meet this weekend.

512 six three three 5391

Awesome! I'm out of town until Monday though... will yall be meeting up next weekend as well?

Thanks! I don't see any sense in 'performance' up grades on my '08 other then the throttle response below 4000!.......... .

IMHO the throttle response issue is solved (or becomes a non-issue) with the application of PC unit (I have an '08 but use the PCV). In fact, improved throttle response is the most notable mprovement with a PC unit.
That said, if I could get an '10 ECU for under $300, I'd go that route first-based solely on Hellgate's report.

IMHO the throttle response issue is solved (or becomes a non-issue) with the application of PC unit (I have an '08 but use the PCV). In fact, improved throttle response is the most notable mprovement with a PC unit.
That said, if I could get an '10 ECU for under $300, I'd go that route first-based solely on Hellgate's report.

I agree, every FI bike can benefit from a PC and a proper tune. It really make a big difference.

Back