Not really a mod, well kinda... '10 ECU

Let me be clear to everyone, there are no fuel cut effects at with this ECU. With this ECU there is no need for an FCE.

There may not be any throttle snatch but fuel cut will be always be there even if you can't feel it. In any case if you can't feel it, there is no need for a FCE though FCE gives you around +10bhp in the midrange.

There may not be any throttle snatch but fuel cut will be always be there even if you can't feel it. In any case if you can't feel it, there is no need for a FCE though FCE gives you around +10bhp in the midrange.

But isnt that becuase it opens the flies sooner?

So what if you use a map properly setup for NO flies? In that case wouldnt the FCE be totally useless on a 10 ECU?

Nope, sorry man, you need to good tune, not an FCE. Remember that fuel cut only happens when you chop the throttle (all FI vehicles FC, MC and autos) not on the throttle. It's all about complete combustion.

Last edited:
Nope, sorry man, you need to good tune, not an FCE. Remember that fuel cut only happens when you chop the throttle (all FI vehicles FC, MC and autos) not on the throttle. It's all about complete combustion.

True, but FCE eliminates the fuel cut entirely, which means when you get back on after chopping the throttle, the injectors are not entirely dry (due to chopping) and there is fuel already there ready to burn and not a sudden squirt. Hence the +10hp in the midrange.

But isnt that becuase it opens the flies sooner?

So what if you use a map properly setup for NO flies? In that case wouldnt the FCE be totally useless on a 10 ECU?

The combo of sudden squirt and the fast opening of the secondary flies is the Throttle Snatch basically. Ivan can perhaps explain this clearly. There is a thread at FZ1OA describing this.

07 onwards Yamaha resolved this by slowly opening the flies instead of a sudden flip.

On other hand, there is another HP restriction in the 1st three gears that Ivan couldn't figure out how to eliminate it. Perhaps the ECU has total control over the restriction.

Last edited:
The combo of sudden squirt and the fast opening of the secondary flies is the Throttle Snatch basically. There is a thread at FZ1OA describing this.

07 onwards Yamaha resolved this by slowly opening the flies instead of a sudden flip..

Do you have any evidence that any of this is an issue on the later bikes at street legal speeds? 6800 rpm is fairly high in the rev range.

see http://www.ncs-stl.com/PowerCommander/FC_6850_RPM.jpg

and http://www.ncs-stl.com/PowerCommander/FuelCut2.jpg

AW

True, but FCE eliminates the fuel cut entirely, which means when you get back on after chopping the throttle, the injectors are not entirely dry (due to chopping) and there is fuel already there ready to burn and not a sudden squirt. Hence the +10hp in the midrange.

The combo of sudden squirt and the fast opening of the secondary flies is the Throttle Snatch basically. Ivan can perhaps explain this clearly. There is a thread at FZ1OA describing this.

07 onwards Yamaha resolved this by slowly opening the flies instead of a sudden flip.

On other hand, there is another HP restriction in the 1st three gears that Ivan couldn't figure out how to eliminate it. Perhaps the ECU has total control over the restriction.

But fuel injectors are never "totally dry" any way. They are under pressure from the fuel pump and the injector controls the rate of flow up to the duty cycle limit. Also think about this, if the injectors are totally dry why do people add an AIS kit? Because they don't like the popping on decel. If there is popping on decel there IS "excess" fuel exiting the motor and burning in the exhaust.

The only time a motor makes power is then the throttle is twisted, and is the FCE only works when the throttle is chopped it won't add to power. If you want more fuel the Power Commander with the accelerator pump program can do that.

Again, this ECU makes the throttle so smooth, after apex you can roll on in very small amounts and the motor responds right away.

For my money, a Power Commander and good (nee: no Harley shop tunes) custom tune are the way to go.

Last edited:
compare 09 and 10

Has anyone here compared the 09 and the 10 on the road and have a good comparison of the performance change with the new ECU? Pete has am 06 that was well known to have issues, so I am unsure about how much of a difference the new ECU would have on an 09.

Pete, maybe we can do a little seat-of-the-pants research on this. Aside from the new ECU, our bikes are similarly set up, performance-wise. I have a slip on and K&N filter, but ran out of money before doing more. Your 2006 with the new ECU should be a lot like mine if I get the 2010 ECU. Maybe we can get together - you ride my 2009 with stock ECU and see if there is a big difference. It's not like dyno data, but could be very helpful to other owners of 2007-2009 FZ's and me.

If I can get a smoother running bike, and not trash the emissions profile, it would be great. I don't need more power (Oh, the heresy!!!), and that is really Ivan's realm. I'm an old fart who mostly commutes and gets a big kick out of the STOCK bike's power.

My phone is 663-7835 if you are up for it.

Somebody younger and more internet-savvy than me needs to set up a group buy on these new ECUs. Times are tough at dealerships, and things are slow in the winter, anyway. Is it crazy to think you could get the price down to around $300 if you were purchasing in quantities of 10 or more?

Just thinking out loud, but at that price, with pure plug and play installation, I'd be in.

Somebody younger and more internet-savvy than me needs to set up a group buy on these new ECUs. Times are tough at dealerships, and things are slow in the winter, anyway. Is it crazy to think you could get the price down to around $300 if you were purchasing in quantities of 10 or more?

Just thinking out loud, but at that price, with pure plug and play installation, I'd be in.

:+1:
I'd pay $300 for one. Anyone else?

Well, we might as well go for the '11 model now... :p

I'd be in too at $300. Should know soon whether the '11 offers any further improvements over the '10.

Considering Yamaha is the last carburetor holdout in the 250 MX class, I suspect money for upgrades is very tight, and they will leave the FZ1 ECU alone this year.

Back