***Official 2010 Deals Gap Thread*** (Updated OP)

I wish I could go, but since the road is blocked, you all might find a slew of other routes to go on instead, and still make it a kick@$$ trip! Maybe next year for me! Hope the rockslide is cleaned up by then!

I'm sure they will open long before Sept 17th. :D

Yes, we'll be riding all sorts of other roads. The dragon can become boring and over crowded but it's nice to get a few trips through it!

Today we have an update on the closing of the Dragon.

TDOT finally took off the Sept 1 date from their road construction page, replacing with a more reasonable completeion date of July 31. Again... we will have a better idea on Monday when the contract is awarded.

Even though Sept 1 was cutting it close to our trip, I'm much more comfortable with this news. Regardless of it being open, there are still MANY quality roads and great day trips in that area that are rather breathtaking and technical rides. We'll be there regardless!

I'll continue to update as I find more news on this. Stay tuned!

The Dragon is open!

TDOT has opened the Dragon today from 8am to 8pm daily. They have issued a zero tolerance warning to all riders in an effort to keep the speeds down. They are trying to avoid accidents because of the extremely difficult means of getting any EMT on-site and the limited access from the TN side.

Still a great time to go with a guarantee there are NO truckers or RV's on the road! :D

This is an interesting view of one of the local boys making a run on the Dragon.

Deals Gap Butt Cam 12/08 - Music NSFW on Vimeo

Hey all. Having lived 20 miles from the Dragon in Tennessee, I can tell you don't worry that much about the Dragon for this trip.

The Cherohala Skyway is a fantastic route and to many a better ride. Of course, you have to do the Dragon, but there are so many LEO's there that it's basically become a parking lot. Literally, 9 or 10 officers in 9 miles. Mobile command center and all.

I can show many routes that will be perfect. Route 28 at the junction of 129 (dragon) towards Robbinsville is awesome, then North on 129 to Cherohala Skyway, then towards Maryville, TN, back South on 129 through Dragon.

I'm trying to work out my schedule to attend now.

Above is the best loop I've found on the whole Eastern end of the country.

Hope to help and attend. I have many friends out there that could join us as well, many from the MV Agusta forum (previous bike) and the BMW forums.

Hey all. Having lived 20 miles from the Dragon in Tennessee, I can tell you don't worry that much about the Dragon for this trip.

The Cherohala Skyway is a fantastic route and to many a better ride. Of course, you have to do the Dragon, but there are so many LEO's there that it's basically become a parking lot. Literally, 9 or 10 officers in 9 miles. Mobile command center and all.

I can show many routes that will be perfect. Route 28 at the junction of 129 (dragon) towards Robbinsville is awesome, then North on 129 to Cherohala Skyway, then towards Maryville, TN, back South on 129 through Dragon.

I'm trying to work out my schedule to attend now.

Above is the best loop I've found on the whole Eastern end of the country.

Hope to help and attend. I have many friends out there that could join us as well, many from the MV Agusta forum (previous bike) and the BMW forums.

+1 on the LEO situation on the hill. I live around 45 minutes from The Dragon in Knoxville. The Gap is fun but there are so many more roads that are just as good or better. 116 which I mentioned in an earlier post is a great ride. It's a bit of a commute from the Gap but totally worth it. Again, really looking forward to meeting you guys and gals!

FYI.. I still need emergency contact info for Norm. Norm, have you decided if you are coming or will you be posting to get a replacement to get your funding back?

121 more days!!!

Last edited:
The place is paid in full. I will be sending Ron a list of the people who are paid for. This is in the event that Michele and I cannot make it for any reason (like medical, emergency, etc...) and that you all will be assured of your vacation being uninterrupted because of our pitfall. Sometimes, crap happens.... ;)

The PDF is too big to attach so here is the capture from what Ron sent for directions. Of course, I have the GPS coordinates posted in the original post from Billy.

attachment.php

Don't jinx yourself Eric. You and Michele will be there. It wouldn't be the same if you didn't go so just make sure that "Crap Doesn't Happen" !!!!!

Believe me, it will be either the hospital or the morgue that keeps me from this trip. I'm not superstitious... ;) But, I need to be sure that everyone else is taken care of since you've all paid up and planned! Err on the side of caution. :D

So, $30 a night for stragglers and they go in the garage. That will be the final offer and it is limited to 3 per night, 1st come, 1st served. Meals are not included unless all 8 original paid members are paid back, then this money will go toward groceries and gratuity for Ron and Nancy.

BTW, Ron and Nancy both have 1st year Gen I FZ1 bikes too! But, these days, they are more apt to be out two-up on the FJR.

Last edited:
Updated the OP for the nightly stays....

I'm going to work on some Garmin GPS routes using our rental as the starting point for some of the good day routes. I should have several up in a couple weeks. I know that a lot of folks do not have Garmin GPS units and even fewer can import routes. I'll do my best to put up the same routes in Google maps with the directions too.

As a start, how many DO have a GPS? What make/model? Can it import routes?

Updated the OP for the nightly stays....

I'm going to work on some Garmin GPS routes using our rental as the starting point for some of the good day routes. I should have several up in a couple weeks. I know that a lot of folks do not have Garmin GPS units and even fewer can import routes. I'll do my best to put up the same routes in Google maps with the directions too.

As a start, how many DO have a GPS? What make/model? Can it import routes?

I have one which is currently down but will be operating by the time we leave. Garmin Nuvi 250.

P.S. What does OP mean?

I got the Garmin Nuvi 750. Not sure if I can import routes or not. Will have to look into that as well as getting me one of them nifty Ram mounts :D

Hey guys just joined (member at a different forum. (please don't hold it against me)) Anyway, would love to come and stay a night or two. Get there Friday Night come home Sunday. (2 nights) What can I do to lock this in? Which dates do you have available. TheWolfTamer may come with me too if there is room. We can bunk just about wherever.

Back